Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Bored posted:

Oh. Australia. So I don’t have to worry about running into that spider.

They're one of the most inoffensive spiders I've come across (in a country replete with large, venomous and horrifying spiders). Pretty sure I stumbled through the webs of a bunch of them trying to take that video!

But gently caress huntsmans forever, how could a loving god create such things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

They're one of the most inoffensive spiders I've come across (in a country replete with large, venomous and horrifying spiders). Pretty sure I stumbled through the webs of a bunch of them trying to take that video!

But gently caress huntsmans forever, how could a loving god create such things

It just moves so creepily, putting together a beautiful web while its butt-bud sags. Wonder if they have more impressive hydraulics than other orb weavers, carrying that thing around while working.

The Wikipedia article did have pictures of them pretending to be just flower, totally not a hungry spider and completely safe for insects to fly over to inspect.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Bored posted:

It just moves so creepily, putting together a beautiful web while its butt-bud sags. Wonder if they have more impressive hydraulics than other orb weavers, carrying that thing around while working.

The Wikipedia article did have pictures of them pretending to be just flower, totally not a hungry spider and completely safe for insects to fly over to inspect.

Okay the flower mimicry does make me appreciate them more, because that butt is a great fake stamen.

mystery bug
Oct 9, 2021
always love to see a spider work on their web. they're so careful :kimchi:

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Bula Vinaka posted:

Can someone identify these rodents?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSp-PKbJIiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbflJaxBGcg

Title/descriptions call them "mice" but they're not mice.

Something in Meriones I would tend to think. I don't think they're Mongolian gerbils ("pet gerbils")... I was thinking they could be juveniles, but their tails seem way too long to be standard garden variety pet gerbils.

I'm going crazy. I must know. :(

The current likely candidate in my mind right now is Meriones libycus, the Libyan Jird. They do look too small to be that. However, I'm not sure if they're juveniles (the males' testicles are very clearly fully descended), or if they might be a smaller sized subspecies, as they are very widespread (according to Wikipedia: Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and Western China).

The uploader of the videos wasn't much help, referring to them only as "desert gerbils". The uploader's about page says they are in Pakistan, and while it's not listed in the above locations, Libyan jirds do appear to be present in Pakistan.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I've changed my mind and now I'm thinking North African Gerbil, Dipodillus campestris.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm in Colorado and ran into one of my bucket list animals at Garden of the Gods today:

picture 1

picture 2

sorry for links, discord has broken hot linking and I don't feel like reuploading elsewhere, I'm lazy

They were so chill. Remarkable and beautiful creatures. Did not give a poo poo about the traffic slowing down to admire them. This made me SO happy!!

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 26, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

my cat is norris posted:

I'm in Colorado and ran into one of my bucket list animals at Garden of the Gods today:

picture 1

picture 2

sorry for links, discord has broken hot linking and I don't feel like reuploading elsewhere, I'm lazy

They were so chill. Remarkable and beautiful creatures. Did not give a poo poo about the traffic slowing down to admire them. This made me SO happy!!

Ah, that's awesome, those sheep are really cool. I've only seen them once, at Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. That's such an unexpectedly cool place, by the way, it's like an awesome mini Yellowstone sitting in the middle of boring North Dakota fields without the massive crowds, I definitely recommend visiting it. I didn't get any photos of the bighorns, but they reminded me of some of the other critters I saw out there.

That was also the only time I've seen a rattlesnake in the wild. My gut reaction to the rattling noise felt very eerie, just an instant feeling like I needed to get away from it. I dunno if that's something innate, or just conditioning from seeing it used in movies and such.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

McGavin posted:

I've changed my mind and now I'm thinking North African Gerbil, Dipodillus campestris.

I think you're right! :D

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus. I should really learn to take my phone with me ready to take photos when my dogs go nuts in the middle of the night. at 1:30am my dogs started barking like crazy and howling and wouldn't stop, so I went to the upstairs window to see if there was anything outside. Shone my LED torch out there and staring up at me were three huge coyotes. This is near Boston, coyotes were not really a huge thing here it feels like until recently. now there's news reports of people's pets being attacked, or people being attacked, and lots of reports of groups of multiple coyotes patrolling around towns. Saw a news report of a group of seven or so of them wandering through...I want to say Middleton or something, another near-boston town.

Last time I had an incident with these fuckers, it was just one, and it came up to my back door in the middle of the night, started making sounds like a woman crying and pawed at the back door, clearly wanting to get to my dogs. They're incredibly ballsy, it's pretty scary.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

iirc the coyotes we have in New england/the northeast are pretty significantly larger than the ones out west and down south, in part because of hybridization with remnant wolf and dog populations but also due to the grey wolf being gone do long and the coyotes adapting more to larger prey.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I always thought house centipedes were cool critters and I finally got to meet one! Rescued before the cats could gobble it up. Very fast and hard to wrangle.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I always thought house centipedes were cool critters and I finally got to meet one! Rescued before the cats could gobble it up. Very fast and hard to wrangle.

I somehow managed to never hear of those until my mid-20s, when I was startled by finding a big one in my bathtub. They look so weird, it felt like I had discovered an alien species, but apparently they live where I grew up and I just managed to miss them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I have them in my house and I've only ever seen them maybe 3 or 4 times. They're very, very good at staying invisible.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I feel a bit conflicted because they will eat my spider bros. Although if this guy can help keep stinkbugs away when he grows up a bit more, I'll be happy with his services. Do they eat stinkbugs?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Idk about Stinkbugs, but they are generally very good about eating all sorts of other, more annoying bugs.

Also they groom themselves like cats which is cute.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh they'll eat stinkbugs, particularly wee stinkbug nymphs

when we had to have the exterminator come and kill the yellow jackets in the wall here, we rescued a spectacular hoss of a house centipede running away from the gas :(

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

McGavin posted:

Edit - I'm changing my mind yet again...

The original uploader says that the gerbils in the videos are wild caught in the desert in Rajasthan, India, and over the border in Pakistan.

Based on that, I think that the likely candidate is the Balochistan gerbil (Gerbillus nanus):

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Gerbillus+nanus%22&tbm=isch&source=hp&oq=%22Gerbillus+nanus%22&sclient=img

https://www.biolib.cz/en/taxon/id35645/

There are several subspecies, any of which might be the ones in the videos.

If they're not Gerbillus nanus, the other candidate is the Indian hairy-footed gerbil (Gerbillus gleadowi).

I could only find one page on the Internet with pics of them (if they even have the right species in the pics): http://beszamelispolkabezograniczen.blogspot.com/2015/09/gerbillus-gleadowi-indyjski-gerbil-z.html

I had to use the following uBlock filter in order to load the above page properly:

code:
|http://*.widgetserver.com/*

The tail looks too short, but it could be a subspecies.

I think it's safe to say they're probably some species of Gerbillus.

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 3, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
TURKEYS TURKEYS TURKEYS TURKEYS TURKEYS

TURKEYS TURKEYS

TURKEYS

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Captain Invictus posted:

TURKEYS TURKEYS TURKEYS TURKEYS TURKEYS

TURKEYS TURKEYS

TURKEYS

:eyepop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hell yeah, turkeys! :toot:

I've mentioned it before, but I really seeing them wander through the yard and say hey to our chickens back where I grew up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I went to chuck strawberry leavings out the window and was met with that rafter of dozens of turkeys. for years we've not had more than half a dozen in a group at a time come through here, I'm so glad to see a huge flock show up now. especially considering there's coywolves around now, I thought the larger groups had been wiped out, but nope, they're still around

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

help, my kite is stuck in a tree

(red kite)

also my pheasant is blowing up

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece

Hell's mosqito

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
robber flies are bastards

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Extremely badass bastards though, probably some of the most impressive predators on the planet.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

robber flies are bastards

what did a robber fly ever do to you??

they're fuckin awesome and eat all the bad bugs!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Diptera has some of our planets coolest character designs. Props to the designers

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah I have them in my house and I've only ever seen them maybe 3 or 4 times. They're very, very good at staying invisible.

I get super jazzed when I find a house centipede. They can get BIG. One looked like it was the size of an Icelandic scampi. I loved her so.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what did a robber fly ever do to you??

they're fuckin awesome and eat all the bad bugs!

Ever been bit by a robber fly? It suuuuucks!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Robber flies don't really bite people unless you're loving with them? Perhaps it was a horse or deer fly you are thinking of. Or perhaps I do not have comprehensive robber fly knowledge, also quite possible

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was a robber fly and I specifically remember it because I was like "oh cool a robber fly landed on my arm" followed by "AAAAAAAAAAAGH"

I was surprised too

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Are you in fact a pest insect yourself? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
no invictus does a real job unlike the majority of people on this site

clearly the robber fly was overawed and figured a fealty bite wouldn't even break the formidable hide of his obvious better

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Hygiene posted:

Are you in fact a pest insect yourself? That's the only explanation I can think of.
I have a history of being chewed upon by normally docile insects. I had a grasshopper take a bite out of my thumb at work once.

Actually, the robber fly was also at work. So maybe there's something in the air that turns bugs hostile

Or maybe I'm just that delicious

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I actually had a disney princess moment where I saw a robber fly drowning in a bird bath, fished it out with a stick and resumed weeding, and about 15 minutes later it landed on my chest for a couple moments before taking off. Now I'm wondering if it was instead weighing its chances... :thunk:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Nothing too exciting lately since it's still winter and all, but here are a few recent critters:

I think this is a Cooper's hawk based on the tail markings. It crashed into our hedge after some sparrows and then composed itself in our tree. I had a front shot lined up but it took off as I hit the button and all I got was a tiny bit of tail.

House finch? My wife got me this window feeder for Christmas and although it was a nice thought most birds aren't bold enough to come that close. Just the chickadees and a couple finches so far.

I think I'm up to five captured in my basement. It's an older house so that's to be expected, but they were getting into my lentils so I increased my traps and monitoring. I have since purchased better containers for my storage room.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Good day down at the Snake Road. Final count 20 Cottonmouths, 2 Timber Rattlers, 1 Juvenile Black Rat Snake, 1 Speckled Kingsnake.

And some not snakes:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

Good day down at the Snake Road. Final count 20 Cottonmouths, 2 Timber Rattlers, 1 Juvenile Black Rat Snake, 1 Speckled Kingsnake.

And some not snakes:

Wow a zebra swallowtail! Those are rare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The snakes are great, too. I love them in general, but rattlers and cottonmouths feel very unsettling in person. I've only seen a few of them in the wild, so not much chance to get used to them I guess.