Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This gulf fritillary was chill and fine with me sticking my camera right up to its face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

vortmax posted:

Also a water snake that stayed in the water and far from me

[central Arkansas]

I love all creatures and critters. But any snake in the water, in person, can get stuffed. They're too creepily moving and if you're in a tiny canoe you feel so exposed.
I'm cool with pictures of them.

But, land eels are just upsetting to me.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Some pretty active tree hollows near my place right now - Sydney's bird real estate market is HOT right now.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Various bugs chowing down on this mushroom. Another one in the yard is completely untouched, which makes me wonder if I should pick it up with the pooper scooper and toss it if it might be toxic. My dogs don't seem to show interest in mushrooms but better safe than sorry, right? Would bugs somehow know which ones are safe to eat and which aren't?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

El Burbo posted:

This gulf fritillary was chill and fine with me sticking my camera right up to its face

those eyes

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

dervinosdoom posted:

Bucket of frogs!

My niece wanted to see how many frogs she could catch.

Looks like you’ve got some grey treefrogs! Or Cope’s grey tree frog, they’re closely related species and visually indistinguishable. Even their calls are the same, but Copes’ rhythm is twice as fast as the other’s. Even in lower temperatures where the rhythm slows down, they’re always 2x speed relative to one another.

I rescued 2 of them from my buddy’s pool last month. I wasn’t sure if they would survive due to how long they were in the chlorinated water but they did. Treated them to some fresh crickets and released them by a proper pond. I’ll post some pics once I get around to editing and cropping.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Extremely fly.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The Red Queen posted:

Would bugs somehow know which ones are safe to eat and which aren't?

No, that's even one of the rules of mushroom hunting: what's safe to eat for a slug and what's safe to eat for a human (or dog) can be wildly different things, so don't use bugs as a guide for toxicity.

Consider that even with dogs, some things that are safe for us (grapes, garlic) are toxic for dogs, so it can very very species dependent.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Caterpillar by CmdrKittens, on Flickr

I found this guy in some woods today in Alberta; based on very scientific googling for "big green caterpillar" it looks like it might be something like Antherea Polyphemus but it would be nice to know for sure if anyone knows better! It was a couple of inches long and about as thick as my thumb.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, that's a Polyphemus caterpillar.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Carrion beetle (I think Nicrophorus vespilloides)

Rather noisy little fellow.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Some real good poo poo!! Keep sharing!

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
didn't dare to get close enough to tell but my best guess is this was a tree sap leak

carrion beetles, wasps, dozens of horseflies, and one butterfly wandering in like the only femme in the biker bar

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Got back from camping along the upper Dungeness river trail in Washington State. Camp Handy for anyone familiar with the area. Can be across some critters.

European cross spider?

Some sort of beetle that liked to fly around and bump into my friend (who hates any kind of bug.)

Something was up with this chipmunk. This was the closest I was able to get. Some sort of fatty looking growth on its side.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

Something was up with this chipmunk. This was the closest I was able to get. Some sort of fatty looking growth on its side.

That's a warble. Inside is the larva of a bot fly.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Oh man! We were trying to guess what it was, but none of us thought of that!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

its all nice on rice posted:

European cross spider?

It's missing the diagnostic white markings. I think it's probably a related species.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Leopard slugs!

(they're fuckin')

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

How many times do we have to tell people to keep the tastefully shot black-and-white mollusk erotica out of the Critterquest threads? :argh:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Okay, molluscs are out - but what about dragonflies?

Also, another butterfly(?) larva.

Os, norway.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Mantis enjoying a snack of a big fat ant. I believe she only has one forearm as well. I didn't have the guts to get up in her grill with my new macro lens. I love mantids, but daamn if they don't intimidate me as well.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Enos Shenk posted:

Mantis enjoying a snack of a big fat ant. I believe she only has one forearm as well. I didn't have the guts to get up in her grill with my new macro lens. I love mantids, but daamn if they don't intimidate me as well.

I had a very similar but small visitor in my window while doing yard work. Though I don't have a nice camera though.

Can't really tell what kind it is, and it was quite small.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 18, 2021

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:kimchi: baby

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
https://i.imgur.com/3vgEFvj.mp4

loud dog day cicada. Sorry for the vertical filming.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Found this guy on my patio table this morning. Probably a Telamona decorata, but I have no interest in wading through the morass of treehopper taxonomy any further than I already have. Toronto, Ontario if anyone else wants to take a shot at an ID.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Only picture I have of it, in East Tennessee.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Sorry for crappo picture but can someone tell me what this beetle is? I found it in my garden and have never seen it in my part of Oregon before. You can't tell from the picture but it was also infested with some kind of mite making it act seriously cray.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

St_Ides posted:

Only picture I have of it, in East Tennessee.

Hmm, depending on how big, maybe a watersnake?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

Sorry for crappo picture but can someone tell me what this beetle is? I found it in my garden and have never seen it in my part of Oregon before. You can't tell from the picture but it was also infested with some kind of mite making it act seriously cray.

Looks like a carrion or burying beetle of some kind. Probably a Nicrophorus species. Tough to give an exact ID without a better picture.

Edit: Maybe Nicrophorus defodiens.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 21, 2021

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

Hmm, depending on how big, maybe a watersnake?

Black, blotchy, white lower lip makes it pantherophis spiloides I think.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You've gotta be right!

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Found this leggy boi inside an equipment terminal at a cell site a couple of months ago. Central Texas. Just a plain ol' daddy long legs I'm guessing, but he's so photogenic!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

the yeti posted:

Black, blotchy, white lower lip makes it pantherophis spiloides I think.

Tipping my hat to this snake expert.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

neato burrito posted:

Found this leggy boi inside an equipment terminal at a cell site a couple of months ago. Central Texas. Just a plain ol' daddy long legs I'm guessing, but he's so photogenic!

body like a pissed off mini chihuahua's face lookin rear end spider

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

neato burrito posted:

That face is chaos :spiderguy:

angle winged katydid nymph on a branch

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ralph Hurley posted:

That face is chaos :spiderguy:

angle winged katydid nymph on a branch

my superior ape brain crammed full of shared knowledge still has a hard time confirming Front of this critter

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Enos Shenk posted:

Mantis are the only bug that has shoulders and when you encounter them they square up and lock eyes with you

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

there are at least 5 swallowtails of various sizes on my parsley and there's too much parsley so good luck little dudes

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i have joined battle with the enemy

he was the only one after a thorough inspection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

It seems this is an Eastern Comma, part of the question mark family (??) Which seems like a prank name. After several videos of it trying to land on my dogs head and him trying to sniff the flying flower it finally chilled out on the fence.