Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
One new thread title, done and dusted. :tipshat:

Edit: Aw geez, I got the best snypes.

Here, have a picture of one of my partner's two pet spiders, Alcatraz.

Acanthoscurria Geniculata
Body length about 3.5-4 inches

Also, my partner's hand.

I apologize if this violates the "no pets" rule. She's a critter to me. :v: Let me know and I'll remove it.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What does it eat?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And the award for first jumpscare of 2024 goes to.... this page! :stonklol:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tarquinn posted:

I apologize if this violates the "no pets" rule. She's a critter to me. :v: Let me know and I'll remove it.

it does but i'm not about to make you delete away such a beautiful tarantula friend, thank you for sharing! and for the thread title update!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

And the award for first jumpscare of 2024 goes to.... this page! :stonklol:
Yeah opening this thread without first considering my suppressed arachnophobia can be a real trip sometimes lol

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I saw this crow at work (picture from car)

https://imgur.com/a/ixTLfJh

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

goatface posted:

What does it eat?

Whatever it wants :black101:

depending on temperament a tarantula that size and species is probably eating crickets (many/meal) or a species of feeder roach (1/meal)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

the yeti posted:

Whatever it wants :black101:

That's pretty much correct. An arachnologist friend told my partner once that you could throw it a ham sandwich and it would get eaten too.

Alcatraz gets fed home crickets most of the time.

my cat is norris posted:

it does but i'm not about to make you delete away such a beautiful tarantula friend, thank you for sharing! and for the thread title update!
:hfive:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tarquinn posted:

That's pretty much correct. An arachnologist friend told my partner once that you could throw it a ham sandwich and it would get eaten too.

Alcatraz gets fed home crickets most of the time.

If you could make ham move in a way it elicits a strike I have no doubt. They def eat vertebrates in the wild, it’s mostly that non-exoskeleton-having prey are a huge gross mess in captivity.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Beastie posted:

I saw this crow at work (picture from car)

https://imgur.com/a/ixTLfJh

Leucistic or is that just the quality of the light?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The Red Queen posted:

Yeah! I looked it up and it's often referred to that or a Caramel Crow. First time I seen one of those.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Red Queen posted:

I should see if I can find any pictures of them, but this year there were a few leucistic Mallard ducklings at a local park. I posted geese and herons from the same park, I think, but I don't remember posting the Mallards. They're actually really pretty in that coloration.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Critter Quest!

I went back to Arizona to visit my family for Christmas. That means I got some pictures of cool desert birds! Behold:

House wren

House finch

A cute little Costa's hummingbird. :3: These things are super hard to photograph. They rarely sit still!

Northern mockingbird. Same kind we see up here. Is he lost? Maybe nobody showed him a map.

Meep meep! It's a greater roadrunner! These things are super rare. I grew up down there but I've only seen roadrunners a handful of times. We saw two of them on the same day. How lucky!

Curve-billed thrasher

Gambel's quail. These things are so goofy looking. Running around on their little stubby legs.

A not so good pic of a Say's Phoebe

Our only non -bird critter! A common side-blotched lizard. I was surprised to see them out and about this time of year.

Arizona's State Bird: the cactus wren! Doing what cactus wrens do. Be on a cactus.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Meep meep! It's a greater roadrunner! These things are super rare. I grew up down there but I've only seen roadrunners a handful of times. We saw two of them on the same day. How lucky!

I love those things. I remember being disappointed when I was younger when we visited the southwest and I finally saw one, and they were nothing like the cartoon, and "only" ran at realistic fast bird speeds. But I was a dumb kid, fortunately I appreciate them now for the cool birds they are.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Critter Quest!

I went back to Arizona to visit my family for Christmas. That means I got some pictures of cool desert birds! Behold:

You must be in the southern part of Arizona, right?

I lived in the central part around Prescott for a couple years, and they were relatively common up there. I remember seeing one in a tree and being like, "How did you get into the tree, Mr. flightless bird?"

Then I later watched one messing with a dog, getting the dog to chase it, and then kind of half-flying onto a roof to get away and taunt the dog.

In closing, roadrunners are awesome.

mystes
May 31, 2006

roadrunners are very cute

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You must be in the southern part of Arizona, right?

I lived in the central part around Prescott for a couple years, and they were relatively common up there. I remember seeing one in a tree and being like, "How did you get into the tree, Mr. flightless bird?"

Then I later watched one messing with a dog, getting the dog to chase it, and then kind of half-flying onto a roof to get away and taunt the dog.

In closing, roadrunners are awesome.

Yes, northern Phoenix specifically. I saw roadrunners a handful of times growing up. Which is a shame. I like them a lot. They're super neat!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used to work at an office complex right down the street from the botanical gardens in Phoenix and there were roadrunners that would work their way over and hang out in the smoking courtyard, it was pretty cool. Also rabbits and stuff, but the roadrunners were the coolest.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Came home from work and found this under one of the conifers lining the driveway.

[spoiler: dead mourning dove]

Frozen solid, I'm afraid. It's been below zero for a few days now. It looked so peaceful lying there... Bummer. :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
was going through a bunch of old photos and found this one from just shy of a decade ago of a swallowtail I took a frankly perfect photo of, compared to my usual quality.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That's a really nice shot, indeed. I'm not generally fond of butterflies (I love moths, though), but that is a beautiful critter there.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have thoughts on what these eggs might be from? This is East Bay near SF, oak woodland, eye level on an oak. I'd guess they were around 1mm, maybe a smidge more.

el sobrante egg mass-8061

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Anyone have thoughts on what these eggs might be from? This is East Bay near SF, oak woodland, eye level on an oak. I'd guess they were around 1mm, maybe a smidge more.

Looks more like fungus to me. You'll pretty much never see an egg mass with noticeably different sized eggs.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

It could be a fungus or slime mold, did they seem connected to the substrate at all?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Perhaps some kind of forest salmon?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Slo-Tek posted:

Looks more like fungus to me. You'll pretty much never see an egg mass with noticeably different sized eggs.

the yeti posted:

It could be a fungus or slime mold, did they seem connected to the substrate at all?

I didn't notice anything, it really looked like eggs.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Perhaps some kind of forest salmon?

this is exactly what it looked like to me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus?

https://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Common brushtail possum?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_brushtail_possum

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BetterLekNextTime posted:

My guess would be Trichia varia, a slime mold with a cosmopolitan distribution that includes California. Something in the genus Trichia or Hemitrichia for sure.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 27, 2024

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Lizardspotting time

Look at that tail!

I think this same California alligator lizard has lived under that board attached to the wall for a few years. I see him every so often hanging around there. It’s way bigger than the usual western fence lizards that are everywhere. Including western skinks, there are three lizard species that I have seen on our property in the middle of L.A. which is pretty great.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ralph Hurley posted:

Lizardspotting time

Look at that tail!

I think this same California alligator lizard has lived under that board attached to the wall for a few years. I see him every so often hanging around there. It’s way bigger than the usual western fence lizards that are everywhere. Including western skinks, there are three lizard species that I have seen on our property in the middle of L.A. which is pretty great.

That's a long lizard! :monocle:
I don't think I've seen that kind before, very pretty coloring.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
If only there was some kind of defining characteristic that would give me a hint to what kind of hawk this is but alas...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The Red Queen posted:

If only there was some kind of defining characteristic that would give me a hint to what kind of hawk this is but alas...

Looks like a scarlet tailed sparrowhawk to me

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

New friend acquired (it was like 70 degrees here yesterday)

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
A friend?! A rope monster is serious business, get the hell out of there!

Seriously tho thats a good friend. Beautiful "face"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Can anyone id plz I'm in south africa

Noticed a spray of these large lads on the ground, maybe 3 inches long, this one was actively burrowing into the gravel path

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I’m coming up blank so far but I will note that looks like some kinda beetle larva rather than a caterpillar.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
They're also in the tree above the ground they were burrowing into. Upload failing here cuz of poo poo signal but now I'm super curious.

My brain immediately thought it might be some relative of mopane worms but that's just because they are nearby

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Can anyone id plz I'm in south africa

Noticed a spray of these large lads on the ground, maybe 3 inches long, this one was actively burrowing into the gravel path

Cavorting Emperor moth caterpillar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

See how it cavorts!