Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Eh, just give it a Red Bull Recharger and it'll be fine

e: :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm back east for a quick visit and today Brood XIX is representing well. Saying this as a Californian who doesn't have to live with this all summer, this is cool as hell.

IMG_5383

IMG_5394

IMG_5384

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm back east for a quick visit and today Brood XIX is representing well. Saying this as a Californian who doesn't have to live with this all summer, this is cool as hell.

IMG_5383

Freaking gorgeous

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like their red death eyes, they look much more intimidating than the ones we had back home in the Midwest.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
In case you're all wondering what they sound like when you pick them up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTr4uWJVHY

The sound recording was pretty low though so you'll have to turn up the volume.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

FWIW both this one and the last one I found were coming out at night, I dunno if that's just coincidence though.

I speculate that they mostly come out at night to avoid wasp/bird predation. The unlucky ones who come out during the day here are often eaten.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That reminds me of one of the crazier bug things I've seen. Back at home, I found an adult cicada somehow on the inside of my folks' screen porch. I picked it up and tossed it out the door to fly away. But a half second later, a cicada killer wasp blasted straight out of the nearby flower bed and power bombed it right out of the air. I felt bad for the cicada's future, but that was quite a sight to see. Just a perfect high speed takedown coming out of nowhere, that wasp knew what it was doing.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Speaking of predation I found a cluster of them late last night (where I shot that video) and a bunch came out right in the middle of an ant mound. Whoops.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I was once on lunch break in an area I knew cicada killers liked to nest and heard from a nearby tree: ‘REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-….thunk….rustle’ and one of those big girls started hauling her prey out of a bush, it was neat to watch her work.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

OneEightHundred posted:

In case you're all wondering what they sound like when you pick them up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTr4uWJVHY

The sound recording was pretty low though so you'll have to turn up the volume.

I think cicada brood 17 was what came up in Tennessee when I lived there. Those fuckers enjoyed flying into my hair in the grocery store parking lot. And their drone turned into a painfully loud clicking as I brushed them out. They were also more wiry than the big, meaty bros than were had in Kansas.

Here’s a picture of a cicada in Kansas moulting:

I couldn’t figure out what it was at first since I didn’t see its previous exoskeleton from where I was. Just a weird, pretty colored growth on the tree. Was it a new fungus? No, it is a cicada.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That looks like a dog-day cicada, not a periodical cicada.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Murdstone posted:

Hm, I don't have as many good pictures of cicadas as I thought, but I did get this video:

I posted this a few years back when we had a periodical cicada emergence.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

It just rained and it's early summer which means it's time for the Cope's gray treefrogs to come out of hiding and have their daily choir and orgy in my water lily container.

Not pictured: 3 of them climbing the nearby wall, so up to 7 at a time now.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

I shooed this spider back outside when I noticed it by the door so that my cats would not play with it to death. I figured it was going to be another grass weaver, since all I saw was a large fuzzy thing in the shadows. I went outside and found it on the door frame, with another spider in its arms. No clue if that’s its paramour or meal, but probably both. I gotta do a web search, but I don’t think it’s a grass weaver or rabid wolf spider. Kinda looks tarantula-y, so maybe folding door spider that’s been rained out of its hole?

Linking because it is a very large spidery spider. But if you like spiders, she is huge and lovely and you can kind of see her paramour’s legs sticking out from the front.
https://ibb.co/vd7D6Kf
https://ibb.co/0jj0TRg

Edit: I keep forgetting that my phone has decent image search built in, now. It is a wolf spider. Just not the one they usually comes in during rain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigrosa_helluo

Edit 2: might not be a T. helluo, since it has clear dark brown and gold bands around its legs. But it’s totally a wolf spider in the Tigrosa genus. Sound like a mad max name.

Bored fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 6, 2024

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OneEightHundred posted:

It just rained and it's early summer which means it's time for the Cope's gray treefrogs to come out of hiding and have their daily choir and orgy in my water lily container.

Not pictured: 3 of them climbing the nearby wall, so up to 7 at a time now.

Nice frog gently caress-bowl imo.

I have a Cuban tree frog that lives in one of our hanging plants right outside my back door. I get a little croak from him every time I go out and ruin his hunting at night. :3:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Unknown spider that has a mother loving death wish and will not stay away from the bench I'm taking apart. Moved this dummy like twelve times:

Any ideas who this is? Central Coast of Oregon.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Almost definitely a False Widow, Steatoda grossa.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

The presumed merlins are still very active (and noisy) in my neighbourhood. I've caught a couple of mating attempts or possibly successes, but no dirty pictures yet. Hopefully the female lays eggs soon so they can stop screaming all the time.

Spotted a cute throuple in the creek yesterday.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Alex Jones voice: THEY'RE TURNING THE @#$%(ING DUCKS GAY and poly

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

My ex found a ghost squirrel.

emSparkly fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 15, 2024

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Mine dispatcher says there's something wrong mitt deine kable.
Nap Ghost
Backyard Arizona Bark Scorpion:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Karl Hungus posted:

Backyard Arizona Bark Scorpion:

I think that's actually some sort of Hindu god

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I met this chill swamp bunny today

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

emSparkly posted:

My ex found a ghost squirrel.
Oh wow that's awesome.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Really good content lately, appreciate the extremely good posts!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is from last month, but the blue herons in my favorite city park are setting up their gigantic nests in the same tree again this year. Sometimes I'll take binoculars to try to spot the chicks.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bug

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhl'apn
It has been hella windy all season, so birds are struggling to fly, flowers are getting blasted off our shrubs, even the cows lay down to wait it out most days...

Somehow the butterflies don't seem troubled by it? Just fluttering along like nothing is happening, almost more coordinated than usual lol

e: Saw a Mourning Cloak, but lol at trying to get a pic of those flittery bastards

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Now I want to see a Schleiren image of a butterfly

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Nap Ghost
More Tucson backyard critters

What I think is a Broad-tailed Hawk. It was really irritated that it couldn't find a perch on a tree and didn't like the terra cotta wall:

We've got 2 dove nests going.

Dove 1:

Dove 2:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Karl Hungus posted:

More Tucson backyard critters

What I think is a Broad-tailed Hawk. It was really irritated that it couldn't find a perch on a tree and didn't like the terra cotta wall:

Congrats on your dove dummies.

The hawk is a Cooper's... too long and leggy for Broad-winged.

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Nap Ghost

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Congrats on your dove dummies.

The hawk is a Cooper's... too long and leggy for Broad-winged.

Thank you for the identification. Yes, the doves are too stupid to live. The nest by the patio tables has at least 2 pairs of doves that are fighting for the nest.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Is anyone good at ducks? I'm in Edmonton, Alberta and I can't find a good match for this one. Because it apparently matters, it was a diving duck. Maybe a ring-necked?

My cats are slacking so I took matters into my own hands.

This bold critter was out in broad daylight next to a busy street. I also saw one that morning around the same area!

I love these rusty little bees. And all the other bees too.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Stinky cat :kimchi:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Is anyone good at ducks? I'm in Edmonton, Alberta and I can't find a good match for this one. Because it apparently matters, it was a diving duck. Maybe a ring-necked?

Female Common Goldeneye

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
This afternoon I was visited by a pretty grasshopper. Maybe a Giant Red-wing nymph? (Costa Rica)

Sometimes when I got close it would stop and wave its back legs at me, as if to say "Hey idiot, can't you see these warning colours?"

Also spotted some sort of ant mimic spider

the mimicry is more convincing in motion, it pretends it's front pair of legs are antennae and scurries around like an ant
https://b.l3n.co/i/lsnDUK.mp4

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Squatch Ambassador posted:

This afternoon I was visited by a pretty grasshopper. Maybe a Giant Red-wing nymph? (Costa Rica)

Sometimes when I got close it would stop and wave its back legs at me, as if to say "Hey idiot, can't you see these warning colours?"

Also spotted some sort of ant mimic spider

the mimicry is more convincing in motion, it pretends it's front pair of legs are antennae and scurries around like an ant
https://b.l3n.co/i/lsnDUK.mp4

That grasshopper is stylin’!
It probably just wanted you to compliment its style.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm in Wyoming and found a weird fuzzy yellow fly.

Also there is a magpie, I love magpies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We have a cardinal nesting in the camellia outside of our laundry room window!

She laid 2-eggs...

Which hatched - not sure how long ago, we've been in & out of town a lot the past few weeks

Mom & Dad were getting freaked out whenever the hairy apes got too close (to the dryer). So I bought a couple of cheap auto sun-shades to try & give everyone a little privacy.

Dad visited but didn't get any closer. Dill was chittering away on his stool

https://i.imgur.com/MrKLK2r.mp4

The little ones are very active, struggling to be fed whenever a breeze blows a leaf. Go Mom!