Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Accidentally startled this little fellow, who leapt to the safety of my car's intake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Don't know what's up but I caught three of these guys in my basement in as many days, all male.

They're nice and placid until the jar gets too close, at which point they leap inside and run crazy circles around the bottom for a couple seconds before settling down.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BonHair posted:

How are you determining sex on spiders? That sounds like something my spider removal person (wife) would get really annoyed about me pointing out before she rescues me. (I like spiders as long as I'm not touching them and they're not above where I sleep)

See those boxing glove things on his palps, to either side of his face? That's his junk. Also his butt's less chonky thanks to not having egg hardware.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

McGavin posted:

... and the overall size (females tend to be larger or more robust).

In some spiders, like black widows, this difference is seriously dramatic.

Widows where I live don't have back markings, just the belly, so the males are practically unrecognizable.

I've never managed to get a picture of any local widows because sixteen years is apparently not enough time for me to internalize that I have a camera on me at all times. "Boy that's so cool, wish I could show it to friends. Oh well."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PainterofCrap posted:

The bad news: a possum expired on the street in front of my house last Tuesday. :(

The good news: The streets dept. removed the entire carcass within an hour.

The streets dept:

https://i.imgur.com/dXhnFNI.mp4

We have tons & tons of turkey vultures in south Jersey. It's hard to describe just how large a bird they are; it always surprises me when I see one up close.

This guy was joined a short time later by a buddy. The made extremely short work of the poor guy.

There's some that hang out near a shopping center I regularly go by and yeah, this. They like to perch on top of stop signs and watch cars go by. It's disconcerting.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Oh no not on-topic content myyyyy weeeaknessssss

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if that's mostly feathery fluff rather than body, but still, they really do look like dinosaurs out there. Not very responsive to gobbling, bunch of funless jerks

Sounds like you need to work on your accent

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Yeah, any time you see a funny picture of, like, a line of roads on a snake, those are male toads trying to gently caress the snake. They are not clever creatures.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slugworth posted:

I honestly wouldn't have guessed stick insects were present in the US, so seeing one on my way into work was pretty surprising.

I thought the same thing when I found one on my front door, then I thought "oh yeah, camouflage."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Had to move this little idiot off my car. Just because it's orange doesn't make it a flower!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Alterian posted:

This was guarding my garbage can.

Oh hay I found one of those too, right next to my front steps.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Silver Falcon posted:

Pit vipers are a thing. The term refers to a larger group of venomous snakes that have heat sensing "pits" near their nostrils. Essentially they have heat vision. It's badass as gently caress.

Examples of pit vipers include rattlesnakes and copperheads.

Also cottonmouths. Basically, all the venomous snakes in the US that aren't red.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

McGavin posted:

They're wild. A unique hunting behavior and the best night vision of any animal because they regrow special cells in their eyes every night.

If the thread would forgive one not-my-picture, I feel their hunting method must be seen:

They cast nets!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bula Vinaka posted:

They like to use animal fur, even from animals that predate on them. Ornithologists originally thought they pulled it from dead predator carcasses, but they were wrong. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqjidqAmWpE

Growing up, I noticed this about some bird nests in my neighborhood. Specifically, there were nests featuring hair the color of my dog, the fluffiest on the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's very cute, but I'm confused as to how you came within visual distance of parental Canada Geese without them going apeshit and attempting to destroy every human in sight :sweatdrop:

I think the ones that give up on migrating and just live somewhere temperate year-round turn more chill.