Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Those have a range that covers where I grew up but I don't remember ever seeing one, I would've guessed that the color would stand out enough that they'd stick in my mind. Maybe they're too tiny for me to notice.

Anyway, great thread. I've been enjoying it for a while, I just haven't had the chance lately to see much beyond squirrels and your usual town birds, which are great but never ending looking interesting on my crappy phone camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Red Queen posted:

I'm not a pro on it but when I've heard coyotes there's more of a variation like they're chatting with each other. Could this be an owl or another bird instead? The call sounds the same each time to me.

Yeah, that definitely sounds more like an owl or some other type of bird to me. Coyotes I've heard have been higher pitched than that, and have a lot of yipping noises mixed in with longer yowls.
No idea exactly what it is though, I'm very curious.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Almost certain it's Barred Owl. Sibley app calls this the "hoo-aws" call. Merlin ID couldn't figure it out though so???

Oh yeah, it's a bit higher pitched but it sounds like the second group of calls here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbL-LfGNMl4&t=24s

We had occasional barred owls around when I was growing up, but I only remember hearing the first set of calls in there. Maybe they're just the loudest.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

How about this toasty little guy?

(he's faking, it wasn't that hot out)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

the titmice who visit my feeders give no fucks and will regularly just start eating from the tray feeder while i'm there trying to refill it

That's cool, those and the chickadees were like that back home once they'd seen us fill the feeders enough times. Some species just feel naturally less flighty than others :dumbrim: even within similar size categories.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Always fun when young birds are just barely too young to move out of the nest, they always look funny when they're getting too big to be all crammed in there together.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Only tangentially relevant because I was mixing up catbirds and cowbirds, but there's a kind of funny part to the fact that cowbirds lay their eggs in the nests of other birds who are very often quite a bit smaller than they are. The parasitism part is unfortunate, but I can't help laughing when I see one of those parents feeding a baby bird who's already two or three times their own size, it just looks so absurd.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Love wild turkeys. Back when I was a kid, we lived out in the country by some woods, and we raised chickens that we were able to let out to roam on nice days. One of my favorite things was when a local flock of wild turkeys would occasionally wander up to the yard, they and the chickens didn't know what to make of each other at first, but they pretty quickly learned to get along and would just hang out in the yard hunting around for food together :buddy:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There were plenty of turkeys where I grew up, turkey hunting was a big thing. Anyways, I didn't mean to make it sound like they were happily rushing to hang out together, they just peacefully coexisted like birds at a feeder.

I definitely didn't think about diseases at the time though, we had a small isolated flock so hopefully they didn't share anything with the turkeys.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh, that's awesome, I've never seen an albino one before. And a neat find with the wall.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah boo, laaaame

(j/k, mantises are always cool)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I have major arachnophobia, but jumping spiders don't trigger it at all. They're all basically :kiddo: with legs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That wasp is doing the lord's work :unsmith:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was out getting some food today, and was surprised to see a family of pronghorn here in the middle of town. It's not too uncommon further out towards the edges, but it's rare to see them this far in.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like em, they're much more interesting than deer as the default large animal to see running around. And they're fast, too - the fastest land animal in North America, and in the top few worldwide. They can hit highway speeds if they're spooked.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mozi posted:

different species, i believe, they're a little ways from each other. but i'm no spider-man

Curious that you always seem to be around in the right place to get perfect photos, though...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Our friends are still hanging around the neighborhood:

Nice, any idea what they are? My big wonky bird identification skills don't go much beyond herons.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 28, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's been years, but as far as I remember, we put them in isopropyl for a bit before mounting them way back when I made bug displays for 4-H. I don't remember anything about color damage, but that'd definitely be worth looking up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sammus posted:

For the last few years I’ve encouraged a few patches of milkweed growing around my property. Is this what I think it is?

Oh cool, I expect so, and presumably getting close to hatching based on the dark color!

I wish I had photos, but hatching butterflies and moths is one of my mom's hobbies. Lots of monarchs, some luna and polyphemus moths, and occasional other random ones she finds. Watching them hatch out and spread their wings is really neat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chernobyl Princess posted:

This big dude was moving very fast along the pavement this afternoon. My dog was perturbed.

I had to look it up because I couldn't remember what that caterpillar was, and I think it's a polyphemus moth based on the green body and little brown head?

Those things are some of my favorite looking moths, especially for coming from such a simple little caterpillar.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bored posted:

https://imgur.com/a/9gOTo7s
Video and img tags don’t want to work. I’m wondering if the sound towards the end there is actually made by them doing something with their tail feathers, since you can hear that sounds a lot when they hit eachother during their fake fighting frenzies, but I don’t know that they are actually hitting hard enough to make that cracking noise.

In case anyone doesn’t know about them making noises with tail feathers:

https://youtu.be/Biagyb7AcK8

Imgur makes it a pain to access the actual mp4 on mobile depending on your exact browser setup, but you can embed it if you know the filename:
https://imgur.com/yVds2Z8.mp4

That's neat, I wonder if the sound is something like a whip crack where they're switching direction abruptly enough for their tail to whip around?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Very pretty. I guess we must've had some of those back home but I was subconsciously expecting the much lighter tiger swallowtails, they were the default version I remember seeing all the time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

This was from a few years ago but I untangled this lady from a spider web at work one night. Can still see a bit of it on the back left leg.

She hungout for a bit before I sent her off.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1131908946727288963/1137916590558560276/VID_20200729_215813_s01.mp4

:unsmith: Glad she got out, mantises are cool and don't deserve to deal with spiders' bs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

McGavin posted:

Only if your wife cheated on you with the crab spider.

Well that'd just be unrelatable. Now, a spider crab, on the other hand... :heysexy:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Love those little guys.
Also these

Didn't get a good shot but spotted while mowing my dad's lawn.

Is that a hummingbird moth? They're really neat, I used to see them back home and they really do look like hummingbirds when they're zipping around.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bored posted:

Edit: apparently harvestmen like coffee, cheap hot chocolate, or the combination of the two. Don’t worry, I tapped on the mug after I finished filming to make sure it hadn’t just drowned. The harvestman was on the wall several feet away when I last saw it. There is also a plastic cup of fairly clean water a couple of feet away on the same desk since I’m painting. I think it prefers the coffee.

:nms: if afraid of creepy crawlies. It is really working those little mouth pinchers.

https://imgur.com/a/4rQCTDb

Lol, I missed the edit so I'm glad folks mentioned it. Hopefully they didn't get the jitters :sludgepal:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BonHair posted:

Speaking of arachnids drinking coffee, isn't caffeine one of those drugs that gently caress up spiders into making crazy webs?

That was the first thing I thought of.

More dangerous than marijuana :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

I bet that lil frog makes really loud noises. When I was a kid, it was the tree frogs that were so loud, compared to the big bois that lived on the ground.

They used to sing outside the window of my room, in the big oak tree. It was really nice to fall asleep to the frogs screaming "LET'S gently caress HEY, WHO WANTS TO gently caress, LET'S gently caress, HEY LADIES, WHO IS READY TO gently caress?"

I was just gonna complain about the same thing, you can tell by looking at that face that they're planning on being really noisy later. Tree frogs are cool, but there's a limit to my tolerance of waking up at 2AM to one of them hollering from right outside my window :shepicide:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Didn't see any caterpillars on my fennel but look what I spotted today

Awesome, any idea what it is? I can remember a lot of caterpillars, but I don't think I'd recognize a cocoon if my life depended on it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

That’s kind of what they do this time of year, fusing into larger and larger groups until most of the local population is hanging out together.

Exactly, culminating as they join together in the annual creation of the Megaturkey.

Hopefully the military will be ready this year!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Shiney McShine posted:

A big (3-4 metre long) diamond/amethyst python visited me in far north Queensland.
It was probably hunting for the bandicoots which have been digging holes in my garden to eat my earthworms.
It might have also been looking for bats to eat, as we've had a few of them around lately.
Diamond pythons are the longest snakes in Australia and can grow up to 6 metres in length.
They are known to sometimes catch and eat wallabies (small kangaroos).

drat, that's cool. That would take some getting used to though, I think the longest snake I've seen in the wild was maybe 2m, and most quite a bit less than that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh neat, I was thinking crane fly except for the wings too, I didn't know there were different types out there. Crane flies are kinda funny in general though, they're big enough that they always make me jump when I see one even though they're prefect harmless.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MehrTentakelnBitte posted:

My mom spotted a hummingbird in the yard and hung a feeder for it. This is 2 years or so later:

(gif isn't loading for me so: https://imgur.com/2UwhAJS)

There's a local shortage on hummingbird food at the moment and she doesn't want homemade stuff because "it won't have all the vitamins in it!" Ordered some online, but in the meantime we're rationing the bottle we have... Much to their apparent disapproval, since I woke up to this this morning (audio):
https://imgur.com/ZZLq1ym

How do I embed a video? The video code kept breaking my link...
I am not good with computer :ohdear:

I dunno why that gif won't play, usually if you have the filename you can post either the gif version or the mp4 version using the same url structure. I think switching it to mp4 works here, so for the first one:

https://i.imgur.com/2UwhAJS.mp4

e: yep, and very nice, I miss being around a busy hummingbird feeder :3:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I would like yellowjackets a lot more if their primary interest was in nomming down some dead bugs rather than getting aggro at creatures two million times their size who just want to be able to relax outside with some soda, dammit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

If those are the OK ones, I wanna see the good ones! :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:buddy:

:buddy:

:kingsley:

Sorry, I have a gut level reaction to those after years of trying to grow show-quality cabbages. The caterpillars go right through those things if you don't keep ahead of them!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

McGavin posted:

Were you looking underground?

They said in Alberta, not on Alberta

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's a ton of awesome photos :five:
The binocular ones are neat, I've done that with the moon before but they turned out to be really nice vignettes with those critters.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dragonflies are some of the coolest bugs, I'm glad it was chill enough to let you get some video while it was on its lunch break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

Well, this was unexpected. What I thought was going to be an overwintering brood decided to emerge to try their luck and race fall. I don't know if there is going to be 7 weeks of leaves and fair weather left.

Whoa, that's an awesome pic, though. Were they all in the same place when they came out, or do they congregate together? Never saw more than one at a time before.