Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
There were dozens or hundreds of these tiny frogs at the dog park yesterday after a rain.

Dirty shoe for scale.

In central Newfoundland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Only picture I have of it, in East Tennessee.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

A friend of mine sent me this today. I have no idea what the heck this bug could be. I tried insectidenfication.com but it didn't have anything close.

He said it's 1-2mm long. No wings or anything. And couldn't get a picture with more contrast because there wasn't any. It was just black.

In southern Ontario, Canada.
Any ideas?

And literally seconds after receiving that picture, I found this pretty moth

A cecropia moth? Promethea?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

runchild posted:

Looks like the ladybug nymph I just posted yesterday. Different species I assume since it doesn’t have the orange bits. Could be the one being discussed here, which would grow up to look like this.

That looks just about right. I saw the ladybug nymph but the colour threw me off.

Thanks!

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Found these guys in central Newfoundland. Native or invasive?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Saw this at work a while ago.

It was pretty awesome. He did it a few times, but this was the best video I got.

https://i.imgur.com/GUFfzTz.mp4

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Any guess about what this guy is? In the Edmonton, Alberta, Canada area. The gap is I guess about half inch? Making this guy 3ish inches long

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Nice. It was on my deck and the dog stepped on it, I wanted to be sure it wasn't venomous.

And it being an indicator of clean water is nice, considering I just moved here and there's a lot of oil and gas in the area

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
So I've spent a little bit of time making a few BirdNet PIs.

Following the instructions is easy and can get one up and running quickly on a RasPi 4b. All it takes is the computer itself and a cheap USB microphone.

I built 4 of them, one on 4b and 3 on Zero 2 Ws. The 4b Just Works. The Zero 2w version takes more work, and runs much slower. But if you've been able to install a PC game in the past 30 years, you can handle installing this on any of those.

The 4b I have out in the garage, with a microphone dangling out the window. It's ugly but it works.

This is the overall install of the Zero2w. I got a couple of pass through adapters and stuck them through the lids of some jars from the recycling bin.

Everything fits inside nicely and is pretty water resistant. I've left the Zero2w running in that jar for a long time and it stays cool, there's no cooling issue.

I threw together a couple of birdhouses (and bought a cheap one at Michaels), waterproofed them as best as possible (lots of silicone caulk), but left the bottoms open. Now the jars are inside with the microphone relatively protected. It should also prevent the sun from overheating them in the summer.

It gives a pretty decent idea of what's hanging around our yard and when.

The 3 Zero2w BirdNet setups will being going out as Christmas gifts this year. Hopefully it'll make some people happy.

St_Ides fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
There’s a commercial option called Haikubox that’s $400usd plus a subscription. And Birdweather did a kickstarter and IndieGoGo for the PUC, but that’s $200usd and not released yet.

An RPI Zero 2w is less than $20usd, a good-enough microphone can be had for $2-$10, and an enclosure can be made out of literal trash (like mine). No subscription.