Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's also the Narrow-bordered five-spot burnet (Zygaena lonicerae) which is quite similar. But as far as I can tell, the five-spot variant has its "unpaired" spot at the tip of the wing, not the root - so yours is probably the six-spotted. Or as we call it in Denmark, seksplettet køllesværmer :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Club or cudgel. Like for hittin stuff. I think, my Danish etymology isn’t great.

Direct translations are fun though, then the bug would be called a “six-spotted club swarmer” :haw:

Yup. The family (Zygaenidae) is "køllesværmere", is supposedly named after the shape of their antennae. As I was looking this up I noticed that in Norwegian they're named Bloddråpesvermere, literally "drop-of-blood swarmers" :black101:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

I met this fella in the back yard where it crawled out from under some plants.

I'm not certain, but I think this is a tawny mining bee, Andrena fulva. It's high season for them and they burrow, which fits with the location.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Yeah, I messed up my birds, it's a blishøne, or Eurasian coot. I'll post a lappedykker/grebe when I see one though.

If you can see their feet, coots/blishøns are super recognizable. They don't have webbed feet like ducks or gulls, but regular bird feet with... flaps. You can sorta see it in this picture, or you can just Google "coot foot" because it sounds funny).

For more weird Danish bird feet, swans like to swim around with one feet wrapped up on their back. I think they all do it, but it's very visible in the young ones with juvenile plumage.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

That's amazing. I see eurasian coots all the time here in Australia; it really surprises me that they have a name in Danish. Unreal.
Next time I go to the lake I'm going to point out all the Blishøne.

Uhhhh, how would I pronounce that...?

e: Also is Blishøne singular or plural

"Bliss-hurn", I guess. The latter E gets dropped in a lot of dialects, but you can add an extra "uh" at the end. "Høne" is singular, "høns" is plural. I had to look this up, but the "blis" refers to the white spot on its forehead, it's related to "blaze" in English.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Might be a grackle?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Neat antlion fact:

Wikipedia posted:

Antlion larvae are unusual among insects in lacking an anus. All the metabolic waste generated during the larval stage is stored; some is used to spin the silk for the cocoon and the rest is eventually voided as meconium at the end of its pupal stage.[10]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Another id request from south africa

Is this like... A funky horse fly? It's about 30mm long. Look at the size of that beak. Been having a blast on this trip

Lmao this is an actual tsetse fly haha good thing I smooshed him later

I looked up tsetse flies, and they're basically marsupials*. The female hatches one larva at a time, feeds it from something very similar to milk glands, and then gives live birth. That's kinda neat, even if they're blood sucking disease spreaders.

* in the same way that platypuses are birds, obviously.