Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Chiming in with some banana sluggos from last week along the California coast.

There were a ton on the ground but also some up in trees above head height which was new for me.
Fern Canyon-4193 on Flickr

love dartin', presumably
Fern Canyon-4297 on Flickr

This was eating the remains of some viny seed pod that the squirrels were getting after.
Fern Canyon-4321 on Flickr

Bonus where's Waldo
Fern Canyon-3516 by Alan Krakauer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

Bird ID please, from Virginia. Can't find him in the app.

American Redstart, a new-world warbler. Either a female or first year male. Not sure if they breed in your area but they may well be migrating south now.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

Spotted in my back yard in central NC this morning. Noticeably larger than our local hawks, sorry for the unclear picture but I'm thinking maybe an eagle, golden or juvenile bald?

I don't think either eagle has that kind of banding on the tail. I'd vote young red-tailed hawk with the thin tail banding and all the white on the back.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Caught a peregrine having lunch while walking my dog. The lighting was terrible and it was way up a tree, but I did what I could. Shame I didn't get one of the magpie chasing it off.

It’s hard for me to judge scale here but I’m pretty sure that’s a Merlin and not a Peregrine.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The size difference is usually pretty apparent if you can figure out the scale. Merlins are about the size of a Kestral or Robin, while the Peregrines are just a little smaller than a crow. Both species have a lot of plumage variation but I'm not sure I've seen a peregrine with the real reddish streaking like your bird here, and merlin typically have more obvious broad bands on the tail.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We got a boatload of rain recently and the Arboreal Salamanders are out doing their thing now. These two were under my trash bin.

Arboreal Salamander on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
RIP to one of the ultimate critter-questers, E.O. Wilson. Everyone go hug an ant today.

I went on a couple of Christmas Bird Counts in my area last week.

non-birb- a river otter in an urban creek in the Bay Area. We see one or two almost every year on the count there.

Grayson Creek Otter-0485 on Flickr

Just learned that the taxonomists changed the name of this one, Short-billed gull, formerly Mew Gull (species split necessitated the name change). Our spot for these and wintering Bonaparte's Gulls is a water treatment plant.

Short-billed Gull-0642 on Flickr

Brown Pelican on SF Bay

Albany Bulb Brown Pelican-1041 on Flickr

Reasonable look at Eurasian Wigeon and American Wigeon next to each other, with a Canvasback thrown in there.

Albany Mudflats Eu Am Wigeon Canvasback-0857 on Flickr

According to eBird our most unusual bird, a Black-throated Gray warbler (usually long gone this time of year)
Ocean View Black-throated Gray Warbler-1235 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Birb

(I think it's a dark-eyed junco)

Borbs

(california quail)

Floof borb (unidentified)

This bird is about robin-sized, grey, round. Locale: sugarloaf ridge state park, sonoma county, California, taken this past weekend.

Last one is California Towhee. They’re pretty common in suburban/urban settings too.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In memory of the last thread

California Newt

Wildcat Creek Newt-1913 on Flickr

Wildcat Creek Newt-1926 on Flickr

Wildcat Creek Newt-1912 on Flickr

Also a coyote taking a scritch break on the golf course

Golfcourse coyote-2064 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
West Coast US goons, there’s a citizen science project to study where Monarch butterflies go when they leave the wintering patches. They want photos of monarchs with locations, and they can be entered on iNaturalist or a couple other ways. Every week there will be a drawing for an REI gift card. article

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slo-Tek posted:

Saw what I suspect was a Red Tail doing Red Tail poo poo in STL.

yup! what a cool vantage point to see one.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Serious Lucy from Peanuts charging Charlie Brown five cents for advice vibes here.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Found some wild honeybees the other day (Bay Area)

Wildcat wild bees-6072 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Probably hit a window :(

One of the prettiest songs in North America so maybe you can find some woodland nearby to listen to them.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Wood_Thrush/sounds

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sushi The Kid posted:

https://imgur.com/a/xo4p57K

Any guesses? Snake is in central MS. I looked at various ribbon, rat, and garter snakes.

I'm getting a rat snake vibe from this. I'm not sure what local species you have but my old Conant and Collins has an "intergrade" yellow rat snake that has the stripes, and I'd bet there are a lot of other variants too.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here good at moths? These are all within the past week, Bay Area California (East Bay). I don't even know enough to get into trouble with these guys.

IMG_2441 on Flickr

IMG_2459 on Flickr

(same sp as last photo?)
IMG_2460 on Flickr

Pale Beauty? (Moth) on Flickr

IMG_2467 on Flickr

Tetracis cervinaria? on Flickr

IMG_2469 on Flickr

(same sp as last photo?)
IMG_2470 on Flickr

IMG_2471 on Flickr

IMG_2472 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is actually at a monastery! The monks let some community members plant up the flower garden, and when they ok'ed some native plant restoration on their forest trail I got involved. I've been birding there since 2020 and with the plant upgrades I decided to start figuring out some of the other wildlife on the property.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

This is an Autographa owlet moth. There are several species in the US, and I only know the one we have in Europe.

Thanks! I looked up that genus in iNat for my county and the only one ID'ed to species is Augotrapha californica, the Alfalfa looper. Photos look to be a pretty good match.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

turkey turkey turkey turkey

they're loving HUGE. by far the biggest wild turkeys I've ever seen. they're over 3 feet tall and probably weigh at least a few dozen pounds, they're FAT bastards.

Awesome! They’re actually probably a bit lighter than they look (and definitely lighter than butterballs). I caught 50 or so males when I was doing field studies and I don’t think even my biggest fatsos were more than 23/24lbs. This was a different population though and maybe the easterns get a bit bigger ?(but almost certainly less than 30lbs).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

Heres a better picture i got behind a forklift to cover the light and now you can see the eyes

That’s awesome! I’m already looking forward to seeing the babies. GH owls can start nesting really early in a lot of places so could be pretty soon!

I hope your warehouse doesn’t have rat poison stations outside.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

I assumed it was a juvenile because it looks smaller than the others I’ve seen around.

Then the mimicry worked

I finally had a chance to go look for some black skimmers that have been hanging out by SF Bay in my county. Cool rear end birds and I hope to make back there at low tide when they might be skimming.

Meeker Slough skimmers-0310 on Flickr

Meeker Slough skimmers-0293 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just a general FYI but for most birds, by the time you see young flying around they are already adult size.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm wondering about small deer for this one. I'd guess hare would look like a beefed up version of your mouse.

BonHair posted:

Y'all like flying rats? Because I've got a lot hanging out in my garden!

Band-tailed Pigeon? not sure where you are.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anna's Hummingbirds are one of the earliest winter/spring breeding birds around here in the Bay Area. I found this gal on a nearby trail during the Great Backyard Bird Count. I'm away for about a week and I'm really crossing my fingers that she survives. Last year I spotted 2 or 3 hummer nests along this trail and non of them were successful.

Gyuto Hummer Nest-5263 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Speaking of things that can be mistaken for cats, there's been a very bold stinky kitty around our neighbourhood lately.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

I am very careful when letting the dog out in the morning.

Yeah we have plenty of those in our neighborhood and basically have vampire-movie rules about taking out the trash between sundown and sun-up.

I think I got critterquested by a critter last night. Usually they scram if we move the curtain on our back door but this one was curious.

Raccoon visitor on Flickr

Raccoon visitor on Flickr

Raccoon visitoron Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Apologies for the lovely pic. I only had my phone on me and these little guys were pretty shy. There was a whole litter of cottontails out this evening! Could be Eastern Cottontails or New England Cottontails. Both of them live around here. (Central Connecticut), but they can only be distinguished by genetic analysis. The little guys were about the size of a tennis ball and there were 5 of them hopping around. Mom was nearby.

I definitely found the opposite of this this morning. I went out to a trail near a landfill hoping to get some bird photos. On my way back I almost stepped on a gopher snake that was stretched across the path.

Landfill Loop Gopher Snake-9120 on Flickr

Landfill Loop Gopher Snake-9136 on Flickr

I was sitting on the ground to get photos of the snake when something caught my eye up the trail. I'm not sure I've ever seen a jackrabbit and not had an initial flash of what the hell is that, and that goes double when its on its hind legs.

Landfill Loop jackrabbit-9143 on Flickr

The weirdo came up the trail pretty close -- not sure if investigating me or the snake, then turned around and headed back down the trail.

Landfill Loop jackrabbit-9154 on Flickr

Landfill Loop jackrabbit-9162 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
D'aww

IMG_3724 on Flickr

wild turkey nest at the end of my block. There's a slice of public land between two lots that had tall grass/thistle on it and I couldn't figure out why the mowing crew left this 25'square patch of weeds. Now I know, although it will be a miracle if she pulls off this nest given how exposed she is now.

turkey hen on nest-0135 on Flickr

I saw this in the field and figured it was probably a small skipper, but when I looked at the photos I realized it was some kind of moth. iNaturalist gives me "Small Heliothodes Moth". I'm not going to argue...

Wildcat skipper moth-0038 on Flickr

Baby birds are happening. The jays have been brutal on the hummingbird nests I've spotted but apparently the juncos know what's up.

Gyuto baby junco-0101 on Flickr

also, I meant to chime in when the thread title changed but our fox squirrels loooooove gnawing on bones. One year brought a bunch of cow and pig bones I'd found in the field, as one does, and the squirrels would grab the ribs and take them up into our tree, chew on them for a couple of minutes then drop them from alarming heights into our yard or neighbors' yards.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Hey gang, I'm in the American Southwest for the first time (am Canadian), New Mexico, Arizona, any critters I should keep an eye out for?

Longshot would be Gila Monster

There’s hella lizards and birds to find. You might check some iNaturalist / eBird lists for the places you are visiting.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Almost certain it's Barred Owl. Sibley app calls this the "hoo-aws" call. Merlin ID couldn't figure it out though so???

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Similar thing with birds, think they're might be a name for it too. Smaller birds know they can outmaneuver/ outrun you easily so they can afford to be more relaxed. Bigger birds take a bit more time to get moving and could theoretically get caught by a very swift human so they need to take off earlier.

"Flight Initiation Distance"

Also, it's kind of a modern point of view that humans don't eat little animals, although I suppose many small vertebrates would be caught with traps and not chased.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm going on a trip to Tasmania soon and I will probably have a bunch of stuff to post, and I kinda want to get back into hiking/nature photography in general. I was wondering what the best image hosts are now that imgur seems to be getting worse and is full of ads on mobile. I'm okay with paying a bit if the hosting is good and the site useful and ad free. Figured I'd ask here but if there's a better place to ask I can go elsewhere.

edit: tax

There’s always Flickr.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

Doesn't that make you link to the flickr social media album poo poo?

Well whatever.

I don't know what that means but Flickr gives you bbcode to paste in (here with the extra links for photo name and user name deleted)

here pulling only the img part out of the code so it doesn't link back.

I haven't really used anything else to share here so can't speak to how easy it is over other hosts.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Weird question but bear with me...am I dealing with Fibonacci Turkeys? I didn't think of it until now but looking back at pictures, I've seen a pattern in the wild turkeys around my place...

First it was one for a few days (1, 1)
Then it invited a friend, then another (2, 3)
Which led to 5 turkeys at once & proceeded to 8 turkeys wandering around

Should I prepare for or dread the eventual 13+ turkeys that may inhabit my property? I love them dearly but my place is definitely not fit to be a sanctuary, but I like to help where & when I can. Stuck between a rock & a heavily feathered, wild & unpredictable hard place...

That’s kind of what they do this time of year, fusing into larger and larger groups until most of the local population is hanging out together.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone good at butterflies? I think this is a crescent of some kind. Bay Area California.

wildcat crescent-7866

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

California has four species of Crescent, and they all look pretty similar. My guess is this one is Phyciodes picta, the Painted Crescent, because it has dark wings with white spots, while the other species are more orange.

thanks for the ID on the last page!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Common buckeyes are, well, super common here, but I've never seen/noticed one that looked so much like an animal (snake?) face.

Wildcat buckeye butterfly-8514

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had a field assistant from Spain working for me at a central California research station and he never stopped losing his poo poo over the deer and cottontails. It was also super endearing when he’d come back from a day out in the field all excited about the wild turkeys “goobling”.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’d vote young Cooper’s, but it would be cool to see more of the legs and tail

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I involuntarily yelled Sssppppppllllooooooooooooooooosssssssssshhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU