Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah I'm home visiting the island this year and I'm finding a few too. Nothing beats the summer of 2006 though where my friend and I counted like seven hundred of them on the highway between Deer Lake and Sheppardville thereabouts.

McGavin posted:

Your location makes it easy, because there aren't any frogs native to Newfoundland. Of the four introduced species, that's an American Toad, Anaxyrus americanus. They were introduced near Corner Brook in the 1960s and have since spread across the island.

My conservation bio prof apparently knew the guy that did it. He didn't speak kindly of him in any case.

The story goes that he moved there from the mainland and missed the sounds of the singing amphibians at night, so he brought it with him!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

its all nice on rice posted:

European cross spider?

It's missing the diagnostic white markings. I think it's probably a related species.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Not my pic but someone posted this in a regional insect group I follow.

Could it... Could it be? :ohdear:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

If it's green and shiny and packing pollen like that it's probably an orchid bee, yeah. Only the males have the enormous chunky thighs. This one is female, as only they gather pollen.

Neurion posted:

I think it's because when bees intentionally collect pollen they will form and sculpt the pollen onto that spot and compact it down so they can carry more

This. To add: they wet it using spit.

Treecko posted:

It's very pretty, what region is that from? I've never seen a green bee before. We just get bumble and honey bees.

Oh there's definitely other bees about! Not all of them are big and fuzzy like the ones you mentioned. The vast majority of species are quite small. Take a close look at any field of flowers and you're guaranteed to find dozens.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 26, 2022

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nostalgamus posted:

Bumblebee - don't know the different subspecies

Looks like either Bombus terrestris or something from the B. lucorum complex at a glance. Need to get a better look from the back. If you live in North America, it could be B. cryptarum.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my cat is norris posted:

they picked the perfect spot to go unnoticed for so long and now I'm tempted just to let them stick around until winter (but we may call pest control for these guys, i guess they prey on honeybees?)

They don't really prey on honey bees, unfortunately. The adults will hunt caterpillars and other soft bodied insects or carrion from dead animals to bring back to their young. Adults themselves will eat nectar, fruit juice, and maybe some pollen.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

They are absolutely among the most mild tempered of yellowjackets.

That said, they are still yellowjackets and will defend their hives just as valiantly as their cousins if they feel the need to.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Silver Falcon posted:

Ooh, ooh! I found a picture of that rad orb weaver we found on our porch awhile ago! Look, look, very rad spider! (I think she's an orb weaver, anyway. She is very bright and round.)

Yup, that's a marbled orb weaver, Araneus marmoreus. She's gorgeous!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nostalgamus posted:

Been visiting the mountains in southern Norway:

Huntsman spider

This appears to be a harvestman, not a spider. An arachnid from the order Opiliones.

Your porch spider looks really cool in that light. It looks like it's bronzed.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

El Burbo posted:

A bumbling bee of some kind

From North America? Looks like a brown belted bumble bee, Bombus griseocollis.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Housesitting at my mom's this week, and have a couple cool roommates. I assume these are giant house spiders, and the one with the smaller spider is probably a female and the mini-me is a male? This is Oregon, btw.

Species ID looks correct, but among giant house spiders it's actually the male that's bigger.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I guess my phone doesn't like shooting by the light of a headlamp, but I gave this stinky kitty right of way on my morning run the other day. They seem more numerous than usual in our area this year.

Pretty good illustration of how well warning coloration works. It's just an amorphous blob yet I bet everyone who sees this photo will instantly identify it as a skunk.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Found a swarm of these flies in our greenhouse. Are they aphid midges (Aphidoletes sp.)?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This is the second one of these beetles we've seen in our apartment recently. What is it? Vancouver area, Canada

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Red Queen posted:

Is that just dust on its back or a pattern?

Maybe a copra beetle?

It's dust, normally they're all black.

A cursory search says they're a pantry pest. What kind of foods should we check, if that is indeed the species?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

They're quite small. Maybe 70 mm or so.

A dermestid would make sense as I've seen dermestid grubs here and there. We found two of them this weekend (the second one is pictured above) but no more since. :iiam:

If I see one again I'll get a better shot. We were getting ready to head out for a trip when I took that one.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 22, 2022

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah that's textbook latrodectism, the sickness caused by a widow bite. It's a pretty common response to a bite. It's very unpleasant and probably should be monitored if you get it, but that poster is still right about widow bite deaths being very rare.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PainterofCrap posted:

Here's practice, courtesy of the Collingswood Turkey Gang:

https://i.imgur.com/Qo3654x.mp4

Oh I remember how this goes. You better check the passenger seat, but be sure to close your eyes when you do.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sorbus posted:

First time seeing a bee's tongue

She's mocking you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Scarodactyl posted:

Cool wasp (ichenumon?) on my weedy lawn.

Not an ichneumon. It's a mud dauber, Sceliphron sp.