Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I had a little friend take a ride with me a few days ago

And yesterday I visited a little hidden spot on the Fourche La Fave River and saw some cool bugs

Also a water snake that stayed in the water and far from me

[central Arkansas]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I found an invader on my tomato plant!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

tadpole shrimp, from wilcox az

You can't fool me, that's a babby horseshoe crab

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I have some buzzing friends living on the side of the house! As long as I don't bother them they leave me alone. They're fun to watch

https://i.imgur.com/ST3zUtm.mp4

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

blight rhino posted:

I did this and it works great, if you use chrome

There's a Bypass Paywalls plugin for Firefox too

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Some recent critters:

I found this poor guy in my store missing his tail

When I touched him he'd wiggle around trying to escape, but then he'd stay still

I caught him in a styrofoam cup to take outside

Right before I released him, he decided to wiggle around and flip over to play dead. But he still had an eye on me

-----

I found what I think is a bee eating nectar from these flowers

It was hard to get a picture because it kept moving around, but it really liked this flower

Is this a real bee? Or is it just half a bee?
Caught in a flower, or loved semi-carnally?

-----

The first orb weaver has appeared outside my back door!

I didn't notice she was eating until I looked at the pics

I want more orb weavers around my house to eat bugs like these yellow ladybugs

If I capture orb weavers from commercial signs and release them at home will they stick around?

(central Arkansas USA; plz identify if you can)

vortmax fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 27, 2021

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

McGavin posted:

The lizard's a Mediterranean House Gecko, Hemidactylus turcicus. It's an invasive species in Arkansas.
Well now I hope something ate it.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't know about the spider, but I think that might be a cucumber beetle of some sort, not a ladybug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabrotica
That would explain why they're all over my tomato plant

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Speaking of pragnet:
Check out this mama wolf spider covered in babies just outside my front door yesterday

When I first spotted them some of the babies scattered, but they came back. I tried to invite her inside but she was quite happy to stay there.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

A bat somehow got into the store today. I got it trapped in the bathroom and waited for it to settle somewhere. It took a few tries but I got it into a mesh trash can and then outside safely :3:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

"I'm not playing your game!" *knocks off jar*

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

The tiniest hopper on a strawberry flower

A trash panda enjoying dinner with a neighborhood cat

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I found a very tiny friend in my garden today

I told it to stay as long as it wants and keep up the good work

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Stoca Zola posted:

I don't know if it's because I live in a different part of town now or if it's due to the ongoing decline of insect populations but I don't remember seeing anywhere near as many click beetles, if any, in recent years as there were when I was a kid. I love these eyed click beetles y'all have posted here, imagine seeing those big eyes staring you down and then launching at you! Our local (Australian) ones are plain glossy black, and when we were kids we used to use the clicking sound to locate trapped beetles to put them back outside.
Similarly it seems like I don't see fireflies anymore. Where I would see dozens when I was a kid, I maybe see two or three now if I really look for them. I've got a small hill in my backyard that I let grow wild, and I still don't see them.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

BUNNIES!!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Bula Vinaka posted:

I always feel sad when I have to get into something where an orb weaver has made a magnificent web, and I have no choice but to destroy it to get into whatever is being blocked by said magnificent web. :(

It's like I'm destroying a work of art.
Don't feel too bad, because all the orb weavers I've met will take their webs down at some point during the day and rebuild them for the night anyway

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I have a seething hatred of brown recluses but everything else is welcome. Black widows get put back outside though.

What a snipe. Here's a cool wasp!

vortmax fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 25, 2022

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

That's a digger wasp. They catch caterpillars to feed their larvae. They are more closely related to bees than wasps, despite the name.
Coooooool
It was very into these flowers

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I found a small spindly spider near a light fixture! There were two more on the ceiling, too far away for a pic.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I think this guy's being chewing on my potato plant. As long as he doesn't kill it he can stay.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Yesterday I found a tiny frog on the floor at work. I thought it was fake until I picked it up, then I thought it was dead, but it moved when I gave it a gentle squeeze. I got a little plastic cup and put it in some water, and hoped it would rehydrate. It moved a couple of times and I added enough water to float a bit. It's eyes were going from white to black. But it didn't seem to make it. I put the cup in my car, planning to give the body to the crows. But when I got home a few hours later, it was alive!! It hopped right out of the cup! I got a few (blurry) pictures and left it in my plants outside. I hope he enjoys the rest of his life!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Not my picture

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

BaronVonVaderham posted:

These would count as critters I think:
:neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Here's practice, courtesy of the Collingswood Turkey Gang:

https://i.imgur.com/Qo3654x.mp4
That dinosaur is adorable