Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Spiny softshell turtle in amongst the many, many red eared sliders in a pond in Los Angeles. This was the best picture I could get. I’ve encountered similar turtles in small lakes in Michigan. They look like pancakes, their shells are floppy and leathery and they have pointy snorkel snouts. I love turtles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

neato burrito posted:

Found this leggy boi inside an equipment terminal at a cell site a couple of months ago. Central Texas. Just a plain ol' daddy long legs I'm guessing, but he's so photogenic!

That face is chaos :spiderguy:

angle winged katydid nymph on a branch

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Enos Shenk posted:

Mantis enjoying a snack of a big fat ant. I believe she only has one forearm as well. I didn't have the guts to get up in her grill with my new macro lens. I love mantids, but daamn if they don't intimidate me as well.

Mantis are the only bug that has shoulders and when you encounter them they square up and lock eyes with you

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Chill green grasshopper munching a palm leaf in Beaumont, California

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

There is an eensy weensy baby lizard that has been hanging around my front steps but woah is he fast! My goal is to catch a picture of him for the critterquest.

Edit: I have placed a dime next to the spot where the baby lizard hangs out for size comparison in hopes of sneaking a picture.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 23, 2021

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Ralph Hurley posted:

There is an eensy weensy baby lizard that has been hanging around my front steps but woah is he fast! My goal is to catch a picture of him for the critterquest.

Edit: I have placed a dime next to the spot where the baby lizard hangs out for size comparison in hopes of sneaking a picture.

Well, the little fella broke into my house, probably under the door. I don’t know how long he’s been inside. Found him on the floor, nearly stepped on him. He made it almost all the way to the bedroom, somehow not being discovered by the cat. Our floor is laminate and he was furiously squiggling his legs but getting no traction. He is exhausted. I’m letting him rest in this container for a while before I let him go. I hope he’s okay.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Update:

I kept the babby lizard safe until my daughter got home from school because I knew she would want to hold it. It perked right up and darted into the dead leaves. Good critter encounter.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Genesplicer posted:

I didn't realize I had any goons that close to me. I live in Banning, which is an entirely appropriate place for a moderator to live...

If you live your entire life there is it called Permabanning? :v:

My parents live in Beaumont not me but I visit often. Good place for critter questin’. They have had owls, roadrunners, quail, and even a family of bobcats in their back yard. The little bobkittens came right up to their window.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Spot the two praying mantises!

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Slug on the window after a heavy rain

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

https://imgur.com/a/Kbl8DUY

dur I forget how to embed video from imgur

but this is video of a red whiskered bulbul merrily chirping on a wire. A year ago a pair of these made their home in our tree, nested and disappeared. They are not native. Their song is distinctly different from other birds around here. I was so glad to hear their song again this morning and saw that they came back. sometimes it sounds like they are saying three thirty three

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

It’s like some sort of buck-toothed platypus

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Found this alien looking thing in my yard which some googlin’ helped determine is a praying mantis egg case. We have found baby mantises recently in our vegetable garden, they are cool and always welcome.

This is the back of it, showing where it was attached to a plant stem

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Bismuth posted:

Peephole bug

Don’t invite it in! Could be a vampire!
:drac:

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

What i don't get the squirrels with the big ears that's not fair

Where I grew up, gray squirrels are the fat ones that hang out by the bird feeder getting fat and red squirrels are the pointy eared ones that will chew holes in your loving roof.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

baby mantis guarding a sunflower

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

What kind of bees make homes in those little house things? I bought one a few years ago and so far nothing has moved in except spiders.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

People picking up tiny squeeeing rabbits and relocating them so they don’t get killed by dogs is my new favorite YouTube um… whatever you call it when you discover there’s a ton of one kind of YouTube video and you keep finding more of them.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Baby lizard season! I love these little guys.
I feel like I made a very similar post almost exactly a year ago. This one my wife rescued from our living room. Tiny lizard squeezed under a gap in our front door only to find itself unable to get traction and make forward progress on our laminate floor and exhausted itself. Relocated to the garden with a leaf full of water and a plastic friend.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

Other weird cats include:

tailless tenrec

Quoting to highlight this adorable thing I never knew existed.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Stoner Sloth posted:

Black widow bites aren't all that scary to be honest, there's almost no chance of it killing a healthy adult even without antivenom. Brown recluse bites danger is overstated to the point that the acronym for diagnosing one is NOT RECLUSE. Even in most medically diagnosed bites necrosis doesn't occur.

Neither are very aggressive spiders - black widows only bite when they feel themselves being crushed and even then use minimal venom unless their body is being squeezed (they inject very little if one of their legs is squeezed). Avoid sticking fingers where you can't see them, particularly in places where spiders are likely to set up shop.

Anecdotal black widow counter example-

A co worker of mine was recently bitten by a black widow and was in the hospital under observation for like 10 hours. He was sweeping outside and felt a pinch on his hand, looked down and saw a black widow scurry away. The area swelled and he started having intense headache and went to the ER. Apparently that hospital did not have any anti venom and they don’t tend to use it on adults anyway because black widow bites are rarely lethal in adults. They kept him there and he experienced nausea, couldn’t move his neck for a short time, and kidney pain as the venom worked it’s way through his system. Doctor asked him if he had kids, his kids are both under 7, and apparently if a young child gets bit like he did there’s a good chance they could die within hours. Black widows ain’t nothin to gently caress with.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I’m going on my first ever trip to Hawai’i (Maui) later this week, not sure exactly what to expect critter wise but I’m hoping to get some nice pics. I understand there are geckos 🦎

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Aloha from Maui!

I’m at a resort at the moment but I have two trips planned to more nature-y areas where I hope to get some amateur wildlife shots.

day gecko 🦎

night gecko :wink:

There were also wild chickens wandering around the parking lot at Safeway

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

check out this eensy gecko friend :3:

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

aw baby lizards are friggen cute aren’t they

We have western fence lizards darting around all over our yard. This handsome fellow kept popping up while I was having my morning coffee.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Baby toads! I’ve lived in Los Angeles for over 20 years and I had no idea there were toads around. I went to a park near Pasadena and there were hundreds of these little guys hopping around everywhere. I’m pretty sure these are arroyo toads which are endemic to this area. Cuuuuute!

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

My folks place in colorado springs is near a park that was full of bugs. These were the most photogenic:

and the, I presume, female of the same species:

Damselflies.
My sister and I used to call them “thataways”
Because when you tried to get a look at one it would fly off thataway >

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I got this nice shot of a handsome red dragonfly. They were everywhere around this pond that is part of an art museum’s sculpture garden in the middle of the city. Lots of blue ones too, and butterflies. I guess all you have to do to attract pretty insects is maintain a good pond.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Ok thread, what in the heck is this?
Two bugs that look to me like different species connected rear end to rear end landed on my kid’s tablet this morning. They were both alive and bigger one was dragging the smaller one around. Maybe they are mating and the male and female have a totally different head shape but I’ve never seen anything quite like what’s going on here.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Hihohe posted:

wait where do you live? Have you never seen lovebugs?

Bored posted:

One of those is a lovebug, according to Wikipedia. The article says nothing about sexual dimorphism.

Weird, the Tasmanian insect field guide is nice enough to describe the completely different heads of love bugs—with handy-dandy pictures matching Ralph Hurley’s.

https://tasmanianinsectfieldguide.c...20male%20black.

I have never seen love bugs.

I was not aware of lovebugs, thank you! I live in Los Angeles but I encountered these bugs a ways east of here in Riverside County

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Lizardspotting time

Look at that tail!

I think this same California alligator lizard has lived under that board attached to the wall for a few years. I see him every so often hanging around there. It’s way bigger than the usual western fence lizards that are everywhere. Including western skinks, there are three lizard species that I have seen on our property in the middle of L.A. which is pretty great.