Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

El Burbo posted:

Went down to the beach, saw a good helping of birds including an osprey

ospreys are amazing birds. watching them dive on fish will never get old. One cool thing about them compared to most other fishe eating raptors (like bald eagles) is that when osprey catch fish they turn them in their talons to be parallel to their bodies which makes them far more aerodynamic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Another trip to our local ironbark forest. Today's sightings include...

a bearded dragon who really didn't want me getting too close

a wonderful shot of a very photogenic wallaby, ruined by that photobombing pine tree

???? ??? ???????

And these guys outside our house later.
I thought it was amazing seeing four Major Mitchell cockatoos in our part of the state. And then some friends from just out of town told us that flocks of Mitchells have been raiding their fruit trees for months now.

I am certainly a fan of "rakali" over "water rat"...

I found out what a rakali was a while ago and went on a bit of a deep dive on them; they're really a perfect example of the harm a bad common name can do to a species. Even though they are rodents, rakalis are predators and are one of the few native predators that can successfully prey on invasive cane toads while avoiding the poison glands, meaning they have massive potential for controlling actual invasive species. They basically fill the ecological niche small semiaquatic mammalian predators like the mink fill here in the US and in Europe, and they're really neat animals that have been persecuted because they're "rats," which I gather is a word most australians immediately associate with invasives.

anyways here's some rakali pics (not mine). They're kinda pretty (for a large, aquatic, predatory rodent, anyways) and I'm not even sure they're particularly well known in aus let alone elsewhere.

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Heron caught a fish

Herons are the most brutal avian predators out there and the fact they aren't technically a "bird of prey" always tickles me

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

saw this big black beauty on a walk in CT yesterday...not sure if its a racer or ratsnake? he was pretty chill which made me think ratsnake but im not great at telling them apart

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder if there would be an armadillo pet industry if they weren't little leprosy vector. they seem like awesome little guys.
I've got to imagine. They're so unique and they seem like pretty docile animals in general.

Though I'm imagining what those front claws could do to drywall etc. might keep them niche?

poverty goat posted:

it happened again lmao

Not a great photo, but the imprints are now side by side, each with a wing outstretched symmetrically. Truly, doves mate for life.

Does this window have any muntins, or otherwise have anything hanging in/on it? If not it might be worth putting up an adhesive thermometer or something to signal there's a plane there, window strikes are a major cause of bird injury and death iirc

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Any idea what these might be? In Seattle and there's a ton of them. Assume they're migratory. Gray or black feathers and yellow beaks

They have a really neat low pitched cry but my phone can't really capture it

They look like cormorants, though which species I can't tell. You can see their little webbed feets :3:

E: some quick googling tells me they're most likely double crested cormorants, since it looks like the other two species you guys have in the PNW have dark bills. Same species we commonly get here in the northeast!

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 13, 2022

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Boop that snoot

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Spiders are great but house centipedes are my favorite "helpful but terrifying home friend who always unjustly gets smashed out of fear". They're basically tiny housecats.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Stoner Sloth posted:

and a common brushtail

MODS?!?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

an unusually large pinecone young bald eagle on the tree next door

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

had a backyard visitor the other day

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

Here's a non-turkey bird pal. We've got a mated pair of red-tailed hawks here, and this little hawk was right in the middle of their territory today.

It looked like a red-tail, but was only about half the height, more like the size of a peregrine. Those black patches around the eyes aren't shadows - they're actually dark markings. Is this just a weird red-tailed hawk, or something else? (Central CT)

I'm really bad at IDing hawks apart from really distinctive ones like adult red tails and harriers; could maybe be a rough legged hawk? I think they have eye markings like that but usually have a dark chest I think. It doesn't help that lots of hawk species have color morphs also.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

the dreaded treehog

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

BonHair posted:

I saved up a few critters for the thread. If I'm posting too many boring critters, I don't care, I think they're neat.

There are no boring critters and you can never post too much. Those are all adorable, I really wish we had hedgehogs in the US.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Yeah I'd guess boat tailed grackle, they're entertaining little guys

Looks like he had some fishing line or something wrapped around one of his legs :(

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 30, 2023

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I like how the oriole went to the orange feeder. "Hmm, this one is orange. I am orange. Clearly it was made for me!"

We had some orioles nesting nearby last year. I hope they come back again!

Also the grosbeak's colors match the house behind- red brick, white trim, black shingles

Both beautiful birds!!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lol stoop kid is a great name for a falcon, gj

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

That's a handsome bird. He really is looking right at you!

Any non-Australians want to guess what this is...?

an echidna. I was reeeeally tempted to touch it...

Looks like a lesser antipodean spineshroom to my trained eye

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

I rescued it from the litterbox. This isn't the first one to need rescue and it won't be the last.

I get why people are freaked out by house centipedes but they are so cool. Basically miniature housecats.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Your damselfly is probably an ebony jewelwing, yea they are really striking

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I met this strange fly on the weekend.

From a distance I thought the wings were fancy antennae. It was doing a little wing dance.

I also caught this robber fly trying to break into my garage.

Robber flies are so fuckin badass

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

so a few years ago I think I posted in this or a previous thread about the trap I set to catch a squirrel in my attic, but when I went to get it, I found this guy inside it instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYrekO2YeI&hd=1

I released him outside the house, and he went from the back door to the forest edge in roughly 5 seconds, really impressive speed. Then over the winter, I saw him, now nicknamed Pop, hopping around in the snow and tunneling.

A few years later, this past saturday, and I was sitting on my front step waiting for a delivery when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. Poking out of a hole in the ground presumably initially dug by a chipmunk, he was sticking out like a periscope, and the moment I turned my head to look at him, he leapt out of it and bolted around the corner of the house. I'm sure he's still got ways of getting inside the walls of the house, even with all the repairs and new siding we've had done, but I'm not too bothered by him getting in as I am chipmunks and mice, and him getting in the walls is honestly probably good for dealing with that since I'm sure pests like mice are dissuaded from entering an area with the scent of a predator like a weasel.

I'm just happy he's still around and doing his thing. god they're just the most adorable little murdernoodles. :allears:

Weasels are amazing critters and you're lucky to have close encounters with your local one, they're pretty elusive little guys despite how common they are

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh yeah, he didn't pop out of the ground until I had been sitting basically stone still on the front step for 10 minutes. And the INSTANT I reacted to him popping up he was gone in a flash.

In the wintertime, seeing him leap up and then nosedive into the snow was something else, that would've been a viral video for sure if I'd been able to record it, it was wild. Just SPROING up in the air, nosedive, wriggle through the snow and erupt a few feet away. I presume he was trying to get the drop on some small rodent, similar to how foxes do that nosedive thing to catch mice under the snow.

Out of curiosity, does he turn white in the winter? Apparently it's a genetic thing and climate change is actually loving weasels over in some areas where it used to snow a lot, where they still get their white coats but there's so little snow on the ground that instead of serving as camouflage it makes them stand out more.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I like their rusty lil butts :3:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

drat thats cool

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

McGavin posted:

The absolute first thing you would notice about a dobsonfly are it's massive jaws.

Iirc female dobsonflies have relatively normal sized jaws, but yea I don't think that's one

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I think this is the first frog I've spotted in our creek, presumably because they prefer still water. It was just sort of floating along. Maybe a northern leopard frog?

I could be wrong but based on the black eyemask I think this may actually be a wood frog! One of North America's coolest frogs. they can freeze almost completely solid in winter and then thaw out in the spring

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

This is likely the worst picture I'll ever post in here, but I'm excited about the blackish and whitish blob on the lower branch of the large tree in this photo!

It's a belted kingfisher, something I only recently spotted around here. I assume this one must nest near my usual dog walking path because I've seen it on two days recently. Today I followed it quite a distance down the creek, but it was too shy to let me get close and I didn't have my SLR with me. Hopefully I can catch it again under better circumstances before it heads south for the winter!

Kingfishers are awesome birds. They dig their nests into sandy banks along waterways, so keep your eyes peeled for a ~3" diameter hole in an exposed bank near where you saw them!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The Red Queen posted:

If only there was some kind of defining characteristic that would give me a hint to what kind of hawk this is but alas...

Looks like a scarlet tailed sparrowhawk to me

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

This is a mostly uninformed guess but the giant facial stiletto and longish legs make me think it may be some sort of robber fly? There's a lot of different species and while most of them have pretty thin bodies I know there are bumblebee mimics and other species with fatter abdomens like your little guy here.

Robber flies are cool as gently caress and imo the ultimate badasses of the insect world.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

iirc the coyotes we have in New england/the northeast are pretty significantly larger than the ones out west and down south, in part because of hybridization with remnant wolf and dog populations but also due to the grey wolf being gone do long and the coyotes adapting more to larger prey.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Idk about Stinkbugs, but they are generally very good about eating all sorts of other, more annoying bugs.

Also they groom themselves like cats which is cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Extremely badass bastards though, probably some of the most impressive predators on the planet.