Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Not sure who this fellow is, but my guess was a cicada that overslept and was looking for a place to mount up and molt. Scared the crap of me by crawling up my pant leg and onto my foot while I was letting my dog out before bed.

Cute though, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Almost ran face first into a big ol' web stretched over my back door. Saw this fellow/lady reeling in a snack

It's hard to get a decent up close fancy shot but it's pretty clear (to me anyway) it's a healthy sized spotted orb weaver. It's like 50 cent piece big.

I'll see if it's still there in the morning and let it feast tonight. Maybe scoot it over to the corner near the door if it's still there.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Enos Shenk posted:

Mantis enjoying a snack of a big fat ant. I believe she only has one forearm as well. I didn't have the guts to get up in her grill with my new macro lens. I love mantids, but daamn if they don't intimidate me as well.

I had a very similar but small visitor in my window while doing yard work. Though I don't have a nice camera though.

Can't really tell what kind it is, and it was quite small.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 18, 2021

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

It seems this is an Eastern Comma, part of the question mark family (??) Which seems like a prank name. After several videos of it trying to land on my dogs head and him trying to sniff the flying flower it finally chilled out on the fence.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

McGavin posted:

I think that one's a Question Mark. They're named that because they have markings on the underside of their wings that look sort of like a comma and a question mark. Here's a picture that shows it and how to ID them:

I think you're correct, my partner was quite sure it was as well and very glad someone else agreed with her!

Sorbus posted:

I think this dude is a robin but not really sure as he is so scruffy.

A female one? That's a scruffy bird, looks like it just got done toweling off after swimming.

My new place isn't quite as nice to look at birds other than the one (1) very grumpy adolescent bluejay and some little sparrows who refuse to get out of the street, but my trees have many visitors. I don't think I'm ever going to get a look at the very obvious owl living outside my office window, but it was very busy this afternoon. I do love a mockingbird, but I really want a picture of the vireo....

E; and a possum just walked by on my fence but I couldn't get the dang camera up fast enough to take a picture. New goal!

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Hmm the little video gif I recorded doesn't seem to translate very well. It's a terrible picture and recording, but we don't get gulls very often in Kentucky (rare according to Merlin) and two ring-necked gulls were just hanging out the other morning when I went to work. Took off before I could get a better angle and sassed me from the air.

I kinda miss gulls, so I got real excited. They either stopped during migration or recent severe ocean storms will apparently drive them this far inland.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

McGavin posted:

There's no such thing as a ring-necked gull. I'm pretty sure those are killdeers.

Sorry, ring billed? I misremembered. It's the only thing that comes in this area that really fit the guys I saw. Definitely had that squeaky gull call.

I was just happy to see and hear gulls, I'm from the coast.

Killdeer don't sqawk like gulls and have grey plumage. These guys were grey and white.

E; like so.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 23, 2021

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Coming home the other night there was someone on a neighbors porch eating cat food

On my own porch was a hungry lad(y?):

And today she either was still there or came back, but rather irate about me going in and out while doing yard work:

I was happy to see snake friends, though they weren't too pleased to have me interrupt nap (or potentially shedding time? The tail is whitish):

The other two snakes took off before I could get a decent photo, sadly. Hopefully that's tasty...mice? Around, not sure what these guys eat.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Besides the previous chonky spider who had taken up residence in my office window, the naturalist app I use tells me I appear to have a mild invasion of Heptagonal Orb Weavers? I've certainly never seen these guys before.

I like that their butts look almost gold flaked, but they have this weird like dent in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Not my photos but someone in my bird group (I don't have a real camera)

He's a pelican of some variety I never looked up who stopped here in Kentucky after getting a wing injury. I have a photo of the day he arrived somewhere where it's more clear, but he's looking better and flying more. And obviously scarfing up all the blue herons fish. I never realized quite how large they get until I got my binoculars on him.

He showed up with cormorants apparently? But I never got an eye on them.