Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Welcome to CRITTERQUEST 2021-2023!

What is Critterquest? It's a thread to post photos of those everyday creature encounters. Ask for IDs, share cool findings, or discuss your experiences with the critters posted in this thread! Chat about critters. Learn about critters!

:siren: CAUTION: This thread will contain pictures of bugs, spiders, snakes, and other potential phobia triggers. Birds and fish and other wildlife are often shared, but little is off limits when it comes to Critterquest, including the occasional fungal mold and mystery plant.

There are only a few rules:

1. Please post only LIVING, wild critters. Identification help requests for and encounters with deceased animals may be posted, but should be linked with :nws: warnings.
2. When asking for an ID, please provide your general location. You don't need to be too specific, but even saying something like "NE United States" can be very helpful in narrowing down the possibilities.
3. Do NOT mock someone's photo quality or photography skills. There are Dorkroom threads for photography advice and discussion. Your potato camera is good enough for us.
4. Please, no house pets, domesticated animals, or zoo/captive animals unless they're part of a critter encounter.

We also ask that you limit content to photos that you've taken yourself, though sharing from friends and family is certainly welcome.

Links to past Critterquest threads:
2017-2020
2014-2015

Some related threads you may find worthwhile:
A Bird Thread
Dorkroom Bird Photography Thread
Dorkroom Macro Photography Thread
Dorkroom Pet Photography Thread
Dorkroom Wildlife Photography Thread
Mushroom Megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

starting us off with a super cool pic of my neighbor cardinal

and a very curious yellowjacket? from Colorado

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 26, 2021

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Isn't that what the sad doot turns into?!

Maybe?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=884651
^^^ the original sad doot ^^^

okay on second thought i think they may be very unrelated, but flannel moths do have very odd-looking caterpillars

(not my picture)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I really love these photos, I'm glad you re-posted!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Colonel Cancer posted:

An enormous ant-like creature jumped on my sunglasses in the park earlier today, didn't get a picture because I was busily evicting it off my face. It was at least the size of a nickel, maybe approaching a quarter or a solid 1/3 of a looney. Am I already dead? Please send help.

Whereabouts are you? Any guess as to color, or if it had any wings?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Encountered this ex-magpie on my morning run the other day. More interestingly, there were five magpies on the sidewalk around it, one vocalizing, and the other four with their heads held toward the sky. I wonder if it was some kind of funeral? They weren't eating it, in any case. I wanted to get a photo but they took off before I was able to do so.

Be so kind as to link that image instead of posting in-line, would you, please? :shobon:

Corvids are fascinating...you can't help thinking that was some kind of ritual for them. You sent me down a rabbit-hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixYVFZnNl6s

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Gooch181 posted:

double post for cicadas

Why's this one so pale? Is it still hardening? Do cicadas come in different colors like this?!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Enos Shenk posted:

Wings at full size.

oh man i need to research cicada colors

Okay, evidently the periodicals are that pale color, and the annuals are green?

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 28, 2021

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Looks like a little newly fledged blue jay for sure. What a cutiepie!

I THINK your visitor is a Carolina wren. That eye stripe is pretty distinct.

Post more cicadas, bring it on.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Johnny Walker posted:

Hm, I don't have as many good pictures of cicadas as I thought, but I did get this video:

https://i.imgur.com/yWDTm1R.mp4

Video embed isn't working on this for whatever reason. Well worth the time taken to copy/paste the link, though. What a beauty!

Edit: Oh, I changed your timg tags to url, and boom, it's working. Today I learned.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hello from Springfield, VA!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

^^^ there is something very delicate about it and almost regal, like a wedding gown or something

Catastrophe posted:

There are lots of flowers around my building so there are lots of bees:

...oh so that's where the cheesy powder comes from...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

joat mon posted:

I think it's some species of Euchlaena

e:

Like a eu-(good) -chlaena(cloak or mantle)?

yo whaaaaaaaaat

i was just posting my gut reaction, that's so cool!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm gonna guess Parectopa of some kind?

https://bugguide.net/node/view/166127

Leaf-miner moth -- I guess it comes in some color variance?

http://www.toronto-wildlife.com/Insects/Moths/moths_leaf-miner.html

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

They're very pretty. I wish they weren't pests.

The gently caress is this little orange dude from Pittsburgh?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

mods change my name to anal clasper

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hello!

This photo is great but MAN slugs are weird.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Some real good poo poo!! Keep sharing!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:kimchi: baby

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

St_Ides posted:

Only picture I have of it, in East Tennessee.

Hmm, depending on how big, maybe a watersnake?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You've gotta be right!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I don't know what this is!

p i t t s b u r g h

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

blight rhino posted:

i'm sure you will, but you'll need to document this journey :)

e- What's a decently price camera, for pictures like this? I only have my old rear end iphone. It'd be basically strictly for stuff for this thread or other random poo poo. I'm not photographer, at all. $100? $200?

Any recommendations?

There are photography threads linked in the OP, and I'm sure one of them can guide you!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Nice of him to offer you a little pocket change in these trying times.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Gorgeous macro work! Love the little jumper, and the lattice pattern on the mantid's wings.

Scarodactyl posted:

Does this count?

Pretty adorable (since it was in the Home Depot and not my house).

I like this very much! What a cute little guy. Whereabouts are you? Field mice all look pretty much the same to me, but maybe there's a more specific ID to be had.

No pics but I've been visited by a silverfish tonight. They're weird.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Very green body on this one.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

busy porch night

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

also these guys are everywhere

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

the yeti posted:

Norris put a black light up against a white sheet and report back

I will make this happen but it'll be a bit!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

omg so lucky!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The Red Queen posted:

I hate to follow up such pretty pictures with poop, but: whose poop? It's raining so it'll be a bit before I can say for sure but with the grass for scale I'd say these are almost mouse poop sized, so way too big for termite or carpenter ant frass, but definitely looks like it's composed of wood, right?. This is a next to a section of log that we use as a chair in the backyard. Had someone guess it was a dutch elm (and possibly died of dutch elm disease) before we had to take it down (if that helps).

Maybe beetle larvae? I have seen some extremely generic looking brown/black beetles crawling around on these logs.

I can't tell but I'm quoting this as I love a good poop mystery.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A lovely outing, a lovely day. :kimchi:

This guy chillin' on our fence. Look at that tiny ruby eye! So handsome!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

DOOT.

had a smol visitor this morning

Black rat snake.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I had one of those bless my siding the other day, but she was extremely busy and wouldn't stay still for a pic. Made me want to look into them as pets, though... such pretty, fuzzy guys.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

poverty goat posted:

Almost all of the birds here have been wiped out by some bird plague since summer. It's apparently a thing on the east coast. Finches, cardinals, grackles, brown thrashers, mockingbirds- gone. I've had healthy year-round populations of all of those forever. There's no birdsong, and I had to pull my feeders. Here and there a lone finch or grackle shows up looking for food, and a significant number of them look unhealthy with patchy feathers particularly on their heads. I'm watching an unhealthy looking one-legged grackle peck around at old sunflower shells right now.

It's all very depressing.

Don't lose hope! With the disease under control, you can resume nurturing your local populations. It'll take time, but I think things are expected to bounce back. :unsmith: Edit: Cornell doesn't see major declines overall, according to an August study, so your local challenges may be really temporary. Let's hope so!

It sucks in the meantime, though.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 19, 2021

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

poverty goat posted:

depressing bird plague spoilers

I'm sorry about your feathered neighbors, friend.

I'm curious, have any local agencies reported on your specific region's challenges? The Cornell reporting has been optimistic overall, so maybe your area has had some unique severity for some reason? Are we even referencing the same disease? :ohdear: The one I've been following features blindness as a big symptom.

I'm sorry if my prior post was at all perceived to be dismissive of what you've seen and experienced...I really hope you see things start rebounding in the spring.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That reminds me of what I saw around here in like 2003 or so - I'd see crows that looked like partially-plucked chickens. I want to say West Nile was present at the time, but my memory is vague.

Edit: You're back East, right? I found this article referencing a mystery bird disease this year which seems relevant:

https://www.birdsandblooms.com/birding/birding-basics/wild-bird-diseases/

Yeah, that's the disease I was referencing. It does sound pretty similar to what Poverty Goat has run into locally, but I don't believe it's exactly the same since these crusty eyes don't come paired with severe feather loss.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love killdeer, they're so pretty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Oh, how lucky!

Smugworth posted:

It's a critter alright