Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Reposting for the new thread.

The other night I had a nice treat. My old man spotted a cicada molting on the leaf of a decorative plant. I had only seen it in person once before when I was little, so I fetched my camera gear. It was a great spot to set up on the tripod and really pull in close.

You can see both sets of wings folded alongside here.

Completely out. Wings starting to unfold and take shape.

Wings at full size.

He/She stayed on the next leaf overnight, letting the exoskeleton harden. It took about 20 minutes from the start with just the head broken free to being completely molted. By the afternoon of the next day they were gone, off to start their adult life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Mantis enjoying a snack of a big fat ant. I believe she only has one forearm as well. I didn't have the guts to get up in her grill with my new macro lens. I love mantids, but daamn if they don't intimidate me as well.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Today a nature sanctuary in my city was doing a Monarch Festival. Unfortunately I didn't manage to take any pictures of monarchs, just sneaky Viceroy butterflies. Still cool, and a ton of other critters.

The sneaky Viceroys that fooled me into thinking they were monarchs.

Differential Grasshopper

Yellow Garden Spider

There were so many honeybees working the flowers out here. This was probably the most photogenic lady.

Cool blue dragonfly. These guys are a pain to ID.

Juvenile small milkweed bug. What a boring name, but a handsome bug.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Some recent pictures from around my house:

Lovely Regal Jumping Spider. He was very camera shy, but finally came out. He would hide back in the window gap if I got any closer.

Robin trying to take a bath, with two voyeurs. I think the sparrows just liked getting splashed on.

House Wren working on a home. We have a pair that keep coming back every year to our yard.

Big Chongus Lady doing some work. I love how she has pollen literally all over herself.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Saw this weird cat outside my house last night.

He was an absolute unit, and gave not one single poo poo at having a flashlight shined on him. Just snacked on some fallen bird feed and waddled off.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Orchard Spider, there's a few of these guys setting up in my shrubs over the past day. This one held still for a picture of the neon belly boomerang. A shame my focal distance is so narrow, but look at them...Grabby eaty bits. I forget the term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Candy Striped Leafhopper. They have other names, but that's my favorite one.

Fine, Graphocephala coccinea.