Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Saw a Monarch laying eggs so I snapped a pic once she was done:

I'll come back in a week to see if I can spot some caterpillars. I'm in Ontario, so these are the ones that will fly all the way back to Mexico once they hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Also spotted an adult Dog-day Cicada, Neotibicen canicularis, in keeping with the theme of this thread.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There are several spiny, hairy-ish 'pillars in the US with medically significant stings that I am definitely scared of touching.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Give a location if you want an ID.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Probably a Painted Lady, Vanessa cardui, or a Red Admiral, Vanessa atalanta.

The caterpillars for both look similar and are quite variable. Both are found in Norway.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 29, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Your location makes it easy, because there aren't any frogs native to Newfoundland. Of the four introduced species, that's an American Toad, Anaxyrus americanus. They were introduced near Corner Brook in the 1960s and have since spread across the island.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Found these guys in my yard today:

Red firebug, Pyrrhocoris apterus, an introduced pest from Europe.

And this moth I couldn't identify. I'm in Toronto if someone wants to take a crack at identifying it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

I'm gonna guess Parectopa of some kind?

https://bugguide.net/node/view/166127

Leaf-miner moth -- I guess it comes in some color variance?

http://www.toronto-wildlife.com/Insects/Moths/moths_leaf-miner.html

Thanks! That's about where I got, before realizing there were roughly a billion almost identical Parectopa that looked kind of like this one, but not quite and gave up.

This morning I was doing some gardening and found a freshly eclosed ladybug on my sock, but I didn't realize what it was in time and kind of mushed it when I picked it up. Sorry little guy, I didn't realize how squishy you were going to be! Hopefully you can sort yourself out before you harden up. :(

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I tried to help a poor hornet back to life but she wasn't able to bounce back. I don't know what was wrong with her. It seems too early in the year for them to start dying from old age. Seeing her try to weakly grab on to a perch only to fail and fall off left me feeling all wistful, plaintive and contemplaty and such.

Human emotion is so weird.

All she wanted to do was help out her hive and enjoy a few sweet treats before her end and I hope she got to experience some of it.

Worker wasps only live for around 2 to 3 weeks. They die of old age all the time.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Japanese Beetles. An invasive pest.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's an ichneumon wasp. Good luck with the ID because there's over 5,000 species in North America, with an estimated 3,000 undescribed species and most of the time you need a ridiculously close up picture of their wings or genitals to get a good ID.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Probably a Red Slug, Arion rufus, introduced into the PNW from Europe.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A little too friendly if you ask me.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, that's a Polyphemus caterpillar.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

Something was up with this chipmunk. This was the closest I was able to get. Some sort of fatty looking growth on its side.

That's a warble. Inside is the larva of a bot fly.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

How many times do we have to tell people to keep the tastefully shot black-and-white mollusk erotica out of the Critterquest threads? :argh:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Found this guy on my patio table this morning. Probably a Telamona decorata, but I have no interest in wading through the morass of treehopper taxonomy any further than I already have. Toronto, Ontario if anyone else wants to take a shot at an ID.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

Sorry for crappo picture but can someone tell me what this beetle is? I found it in my garden and have never seen it in my part of Oregon before. You can't tell from the picture but it was also infested with some kind of mite making it act seriously cray.

Looks like a carrion or burying beetle of some kind. Probably a Nicrophorus species. Tough to give an exact ID without a better picture.

Edit: Maybe Nicrophorus defodiens.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 21, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

he was the only one after a thorough inspection

Those white spots on it near its head look like parasitic wasp eggs or cocoons. I would have left it alone and enjoyed the bounty of wasps.

Synnr posted:

It seems this is an Eastern Comma, part of the question mark family (??) Which seems like a prank name. After several videos of it trying to land on my dogs head and him trying to sniff the flying flower it finally chilled out on the fence.

I think that one's a Question Mark. They're named that because they have markings on the underside of their wings that look sort of like a comma and a question mark. Here's a picture that shows it and how to ID them:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 21, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Neat! I'm planting some dill next year in the hopes that I'll get some, but I'm at the extreme north of their range, so it's probably fairly unlikely.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Not to mention your penmanship.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

EorayMel posted:

Found this dragonfly when I was outside this morning after a heavy downpour

It just hung out on a tree occasionally flapping its wings and brushing its head with one leg before it flew away. About as big as my index finger :kimchi:

S'up dragonfly bro.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Falukorv posted:

Dead-ringers for Aeshna grandis those dragonflies. Europe?

No, but Aeshna is a widespread genus with a Holarctic distribution, and many of them look quite similar. Mine is probably a female Shadow Darner, Aeshna umbrosa.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:lol::lol: I look up everything.

I do have a biology degree, but I'm amateur naturalist good, not entomologist good.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Phyzzle posted:

A giant ant(?) found in East Texas.

That looks like a Texas Leafcutter Ant, Atta texana. But, yeah, I wouldn't go picking up any large ants that I couldn't identify in Texas. They aren't called cow killers for nothing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you want an ID we're going to need a location more specific than "my apartment door".

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm going to say it's a Vine Sphinx, Eumorpha vitis. It lacks the brown bands along the leading edges of the wings that are indicative of a Banded Sphinx.

For reference:

Vine Sphinx

Banded Sphinx

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Crop, not craw.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A Mourning Cloak, Nymphalis antiopa, that has seen better days landed in my yard. It's missing a leg on this side.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There's no such thing as a ring-necked gull. I'm pretty sure those are killdeers.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gulls don't have the dark parts of their plumage extending onto their breast like the birds in your picture. I'm 100% sure it's a plover of some kind.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Watching Vaux's Swifts roost in the Chapman School chimney is a thing in Portland, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHgEAIK8P18

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The lizard's a Mediterranean House Gecko, Hemidactylus turcicus. It's an invasive species in Arkansas.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Some kind of stinkhorn growing in my garden. Really lives up to its name.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That's Squirrel Nutkin after his escape from Old Brown.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

A new garden friend showed up today. Not a common visitor here:

She pragnet.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's evidence of the critter in the second pic's crime spree.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

She pragnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you're in the US I'd say it was a Pale Green Assassin Bug nymph, Zelus luridus.