Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
My daughter is a cicada superfan. Every summer she’s out on patrol at night, helping larvae get to trees. And first thing in the morning looking for any cicada larvae that have emerged during the day. They’re vulnerable to wasps while their exoskeleton is hardening. She has a special wasp-proof cage for them to eclose in. They then get released in the evening when it’s safe. Yes, yes, I know we’re reducing natural selection on these guys, but whatever.

A little dude eclosing:

Cicadas waiting for release:

I’m happy to say that our house has the largest cicada emergence in the neighborhood :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012
No Vacancy!

(There’s a critter at the top, waiting for me to go away)

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Ralph Hurley posted:

What kind of bees make homes in those little house things? I bought one a few years ago and so far nothing has moved in except spiders.

I think the little doors made out of leaves are made by some type of halictid bee. One of them is sitting up at the top of the house. The holes filled with grass are the nests of grass-carrying wasps, I believe. They trap their prey in there with an egg laid on it :ohdear:

ETA: Leafcutter bees, maybe! I see them carrying rolled up leaf pieces into their holes.

newts fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 12, 2022

newts
Oct 10, 2012
For the first couple of years we had the house up, it was mostly empty. But now there’s a constant stream of bugs coming and going. It’s right outside our front window, so we get a kick out of watching them do their thing.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
House centipede!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

FWIW both this one and the last one I found were coming out at night, I dunno if that's just coincidence though.

I speculate that they mostly come out at night to avoid wasp/bird predation. The unlucky ones who come out during the day here are often eaten.