Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Some pretty active tree hollows near my place right now - Sydney's bird real estate market is HOT right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Nictitating!

Less terrifying:

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 20, 2021

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Visited my Mum's place in Wollongong at Christmas and spotted some local birdlife.

This wagtail was very aggressively defending his territory from the local currawongs.

Said currawongs have recently told their kids that they have to fend for themselves, and they're finding it all a bit overwhelming.

And a bonus little black cormorant

????

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Yeah, they're always great to watch. Nice when they sit still for a few seconds to have their photo taken as well.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Ran into this small lace monitor while I was dropping some stuff off at a friend's place. (S)he was not pleased to see me.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Some parts of suburban Sydney havent been completely ruined by property developers... yet

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

One of my keen-eyed colleagues has discovered that a large fig tree near our office is the preferred daytime roost for a young Powerful Owl.

I don't think I made a good first impression.

Seemed to perk up a bit later in the day though.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Yeah I should have been clearer that it was the actual name as opposed to my personal assessment of that particular owl.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Hello Ladies, visit my beautiful mound of decomposing leaves

Thank you, working hard!

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 25, 2022

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

dude i had no idea that gweelas existed and now i'm so delighted this morning, thank you

This is the first time I've encountered the term "gweela", so I guess I didn't either!

They're almost universally referred to as b(r)ush turkeys here, although it's entirely possible that it's a newer term or is just fashionable in the local vernacular.

BTs are unpopular with uptight suburban gardeners thanks to their habit of making a mess of gardens in their mound building/food seeking efforts. Ecologically they are important soil-conditioners and are a major contributor to improving airflow at ground level by helping to move decomposing plant matter around the forest floor. A couple that moved into our apartment block a few years ago managed to collect all of the mulch into 2 big piles but also dried out a permanently swampy area near the back fence.

While a common sight in suburbs adjoining national parks or bushland, I feel like it's only been the last few years that they've returned to a lot of places in suburban Sydney. It may be a result of the 2019-2020 bushfire season (which destroyed a loving lot of bushland in NSW) or perhaps a general greening of the suburbs.

my cat is norris posted:

...they come out of the egg fully fledged and can fly within hours of hatching?!

Funnily enough yesterday one of my workmates who is WFH thanks to covid sweeping through their household sent me this brush turklet from their garden:

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 26, 2022

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Thanks a to break in the recent heavy rain in NSW, I am pleased to present the three attitudes of the Golden Water Skink:

Furtive

Suspicious

Content

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

I have to get some of those for Mum's place - she gets a huge variety of birds in her yard, and she would love being able to see all of the visitors she gets.

Yesterday I managed to get some (nearly) in-focus photos of some Superb Fairy Wrens at North Curl Curl beach:

↑ Pretty sure this individual is a female.

↑ Less certain about this one. The blue-ish tail suggests that it might be a non-breeding male (breeding plumage looks like this).

It's hard to tell from the images, but they are tiny - about the size of a walnut. They're constantly on the move, and being so small they exist on a totally different timescale giants like us. They also stick very closely to the undergrowth to avoid predators like (like Currawongs and Pied Butcher Birds) so it's almost impossible to get the autofocus to grab onto them, so I am really happy with these shots.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Encountered this battle-scarred swamp wallaby yesterday in my local national park:

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 13, 2022

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Tunicate posted:

This is the most spidery spider i have seen. It sits at the perfect center of platonic spiderness.

That looks a lot like a web-spitting spider (based on the unusual dome-shaped caphalothorax). They spit silk from their fangs to catch prey.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

poo poo dude i thought spiders only did that in video games

We get them around the office from time to time - they seem to like going after our black house spiders.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Spotted a lyrebird in the wild in NSW for the first time the other day! I managed to snap a couple of out-of-focus shots at 600mm, but it was moving very fast and disappeared into the undergrowth before I could try again.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 21, 2022

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Net casting spider waiting for dinner

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Caught this handsome boy chowing down on some thistles

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Went for a walk this morning and spotted a lyrebird (I think)

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Went for a walk in a local wetland boardwalk and got a good photo of a Bell Miner - a very audible but often hard-to-see critter.

Incidentally, sorry if this image host is not OK - what is the admin-recommended image host are people using instead of imgur?

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Had an Eastern Spinebill check me out on my walk yesterday

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Until I started pointing big lenses at small birds I didn't know they existed either!

They're a very handsome bird, and because they move around so fast you kind of have to be looking out for them, This is the only halfway decent picture I've managed to get of one ever.

We really are blessed with a huge diversity of honeyeaters in Australia - they're such interesting birds!

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Technically not a critter, but something beautiful made by a critter:

An abandoned paper wasp nest - I liked the coloured layers, like an ochre painting

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Visited a wildlife conservancy today and saw a lot of cute birds

:kimchi:

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 25, 2023

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

This emerald moth on work's front door this morning was kind enough to sit still for the ~60 photos that got smooshed into this image:

Looks like they've had a few close calls based on the missing wing scales.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

I stumbled across a pair of nesting Spotted Pardalotes this week - amazingly tiny little birds that nest in burrows beside streams.

This pair probably have young in their burrow, since they are both going out and dropping off food before heading straight out again.

I managed to get some OK pictures of them going about their business:

Mr Pardalote sussing me out

Mr Pardalote returns from a successful foraging expedition

Mrs Pardalote on her way out

Mr Pardalote mid-flight

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 3, 2023

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Red Wattle Birds are a pretty common sight around my area. They're... not very musical, and have a bit of a reputation for bullying smaller honeyeaters, but I feel that they are underappreciated.

They have this interesting plumage where the central vane of their feathers are white, with the margins fading to brown which I find quite beautiful.

Such grace!

It's also breeding season now, and there are several nests near my usual walking tracks - they tend to nest in dense shrubs so it's hard to get a good photo of their chicks - who are a bit cranky looking, like their parents.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Apologies to any thread arachnophobes... but I just discovered that facehuggers are real and they live in the grassy shrubs out the back of my workplace.

Here is video proof:
https://imgur.com/ybvuliT

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Yeah I thought it was a spider backed into a flower or something until I saw it take a poop... and then I noticed it had a number of sisters in the same shrub. I've never noticed them before, but apparently they're common as muck!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnura_higginsi

Their web is quite distinctive - it's like a typical orb web but is only filled in from about 2 o'clock - 10 o'clock. I didn't think to take a photo of that.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Bored posted:

Oh. Australia. So I don’t have to worry about running into that spider.

They're one of the most inoffensive spiders I've come across (in a country replete with large, venomous and horrifying spiders). Pretty sure I stumbled through the webs of a bunch of them trying to take that video!

But gently caress huntsmans forever, how could a loving god create such things