Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

St_Ides posted:

There were dozens or hundreds of these tiny frogs at the dog park yesterday after a rain.

Dirty shoe for scale.

In central Newfoundland.

Holy poo poo, that is tiny. It just looks like a little bug. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Tjadeth posted:

aww, it's okay if you want to stare at me, though. :3: sorry I moved your log

I am terrified of spiders in general, but I can't help but love jumping spiders and their fuzzy bodies and their many cute little eyes :3:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I love this thread. I'm an arachnophobe who is oddly comforted by all the spider pics. All these pretty spiders, and they're nowhere near me, so I can just sort of "practice" looking at them. :)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Murdstone posted:

Pictures of jumping spiders cured me of my arachnophobia.

Pretty much, at least. A big old wolf spider will still give me the heebie-jeebies.

Jumping spiders are cute, it's cellar spiders that are "burn down the entire apartment building"-worthy.

And people fault me for not being outdoorsy. :rolleyes:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

my cat is norris posted:

I loving love these birds and I loving love this thread. Turdus.

:emptyquote:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

NTRabbit posted:

This is a White-winged Chough and I had never seen one before

Those wings don't look white to me. Are they white underneath or something? :confused:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Nice :) I love this thread

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I feel like I've said this a bunch of times in this thread, but I'm arachnophobic but I like most of the spider pics/videos. Like, this

deep dish peat moss posted:

This friend lives underneath the fluorescent light in my garage so they are always glowing. Today they waved at me and showed me some of the gnats they have caught. Sorry for the shaky video it's very zoomed in/cropped! My phone's camera has no macro mode and is bad at focusing on small objects :(

https://i.imgur.com/4ZURHii.mp4

is on the cusp of scary for me. I am 100% sure I would be terrified if I were in someone's garage & saw this little doodle. The video is so nice though. :) A safe distance, fascinating movements, just nice all around.

This, on the other hand

is unambiguously adorable and I died of cuteness overdose. :kimchi:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hungry Computer posted:

I met a tiny lizard today.

Some sort of Tropical Night Lizard. Probably Lepidophyma reticulatum since I'm on the Pacific side of Costa Rica. It was only about 6 cm long.

What a little cutie :kimchi:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ArcMage posted:

I wish to report a bug.

Hey, that's my job :v: What a beauty!

Hungry Computer posted:

Grasshopper (and mite)

It's always awesome seeing bugs that look exactly like wood or leaves or something. Insect camouflage is always so gorgeous & impressive.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Rexxed posted:

This tiny jumping spider was guarding the top of my car from pests. It was only about a centimeter big but didn't mind me getting my phone out and taking a picture. I've got a little arachnophobia but these guys are cool:

As an arachnophobe who is utterly charmed by jumping spiders' little eyeball-y faces, I completely get it, even if I don't rationally get it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

PainterofCrap posted:

Here's practice, courtesy of the Collingswood Turkey Gang:

https://i.imgur.com/Qo3654x.mp4

Omg I didn't know that's what turkeys sounded like :kimchi:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

McGavin posted:

Caught this thief trying to get a free lunch in my prawn traps:

https://i.imgur.com/pYfKVRh.mp4

Probably an East Pacific Red Octopus, Octopus rubescens.

What a little cutie :kimchi:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Silver Falcon posted:

There is a robin who has set up her nest just under the roof overhang of my building. Just tucked away enough that not many people have noticed the nest, but accessible if you're willing to duck behind the electrical transformer. Well today I took a peek with my phone camera and look! BABIES!

Congrats on being a robin godparent! :kimchi:

The Red Queen posted:

I love seeing garter snakes bone down

:chloe:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Hey critterthread, I have a question.

So, an extremely tiny, bright red critter -- I mean, pinpoint-tiny -- scuttled/crawled/wormed (tbh it was too small to see whether or not it had legs) across my bathroom sink faucet, and I was hoping you could help me identify it. I didn't get any pictures, but hopefully my description & location (New York City) are enough.

Okay, that wasn't really a question, but you know what I mean.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

runchild posted:

Clover mite?

Well, reading the Wikipedia, it looks like that could be the case. The younger ones are apparently a brighter red, and they're found in late spring in North America, which is when & where I am. Wikipedia also says that they're more commonly found in sunny areas, which makes it kind of odd that I would find it in by FAR the least sunny area of my apartment, but hey, poo poo happens. At least they aren't harmful. :shrug:

Thanks!

edit:

McGavin posted:

Alternatively, could be a chigger. Any itchy bites lately?

No. although the fact that you asked means I'm probably going to itch everywhere forever so thanks for that

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Captain Invictus posted:

bedbugs are tiny and get really red right after they've eaten, and are way more likely to show up in an NYC apartment bathroom than a clover mite. is it a bedbug?

They get red AFTER they've been eaten? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Enfys posted:

After they eat you

Oh yeah, I don't know why I hallucinated that "been" there, I guess I can't read before breakfast

Captain Invictus posted:

these are bedbugs:

the babies are basically the size of a sesame seed or smaller and turn bright red when they bite.

although apparently clover mites are a known home invader during springtime, though they don't cause any problems since they don't bite and don't eat anything, but crushing them leaves a red splotch. so it very well could have been a clover mite, I didn't think they would be a thing deep in a city.

In that case, here's why I don't think it was a bedbug, even though bedbugs are probably more common here than clover mites:

1) it was tiiiiiiiiiiny
2) when I crushed it (sorry, thread), it didn't leave any splotch

Mozi posted:

In Vermont we have a lot of clover mites (I guess, I didn't know what they were before.) I haven't seen them indoors but they're harmless and can be a very vivid red.

Yeah, the red was shockingly red, like, I can't even compare it to anything because I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything that red before.