Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In some hostels you can also get a whole private room which gives you the privacy to snore with the facilities like laundry and kitchen.

Another option I quite like are whole apartment or aparthotels. YMMV but they're generally pretty nice and comfortable, you have your own facilities so you don't have to talk to anyone and can do whatever you want.

As for luggage it really depends on how you'll travel. If you'll be using public transport, a large suitcase is a huge pain in the rear end. If you'll have a car, you can keep it in the trunk and take things amps needed. Clothes depend on the climate, if it's moderate I've gotten away with just washing socks and underwear, but if it's super hot of course all the shirts get sweaty and gross pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think the OP was specifically asking about less bottom-of-the-barrel travel, not sleeping at truck stops :v:

That said, I've done that too, in the US and Spain last year. It's fine on a road trip if you can actually fall asleep properly, a few times I had issues and and had to just lay there and wait for the sun to come up.

Thanatosian posted:

So, how do you find a good AirBnB in a country where you don't speak the language? This won't be a concern for me in Japan (I've got a friend along who does), but I'm looking at going to probably Prague in 2023 (definitely Reykjavik + somewhere else in Europe, probably somewhere where I don't speak the language). I'd feel really nervous about getting hosed over if there's something wrong; it'd be hard to book a new place to stay.

Edit: also, I hate cooking, I don't know how strongly that figures into the AirBnB vs. hotel math.
Most hosts will speak English, certainly in Iceland and Prague, so I wouldn't worry about that. Not a big fan of AirBnB in general though because it feels like you're sleeping in some stranger's home, which you often are, but YMMV. Once guy complained I didn't water his plants properly and in another place I ended up scrubbing the whole kitchen

As for cooking, at best you'd usually have a breakfast at the hotel included, but others will charge >$20 for some cereal and maybe an omelette or something. I don't really eat breakfast normally so generally it's not worth it for me. And otherwise if you want you can still eat at a restaurant of course.

Thanatosian posted:

I am definitely a public transit type; I despise having to deal with parking and getting/dropping off a rental car, and I don't own a car.
From my experience, even having the standard airline cabin trolley suitcase is a pain in the rear end if you travel a lot by public transport. Especially if there's cobblestones or dirt or gravel anywhere. Can be done, especially if you tend to stay in one place for a bit of course.

Some people travel with these enormous hiking backpacks, though usually I try to fit everything into a normal-size backpack. An extra pair of pants, a few shirts, t-shirt, and socks and underwear. Wash as needed. Depending on the weather/your activities of course. That's not gonna work if you'll want to got to a theater or something. But otherwise that's enough to look very presentable and not stink too much.