Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i used to do a lot of backpacking and airbnb'ing but i got sick of both eventually. airbnb in particular can be a huge pain in the rear end because while most owners are nice you occasionally get an rear end in a top hat who will try to charge you for something like leaving a coffee stain on a table or not cleaning up to their standards (like folding the sheets in a certain way or whatever crazy bullshit). even when the owners are nice you still lose the comfortable barrier of professionalism and anonymity that is the hotel reception desk. a holiday for me inherently involves a certain degree of anonimity and privacy, i like to go to a town where i don't know anybody, can just sit around on terraces outside and read a book, not having to deal with people who aren't waiters and hotel staff feels great, as is just leaving a room without worrying what the host will think of how you fluffed the pillows or if you broke a glass in the kitchen or whatever

places like booking.com usually have decent midrange hotels that are a big step up from the airbnb's and hostels but aren't necessarily more expensive and are still hotels. i don't see the value in fancy hotels for the most part, i tend to be outside all day and all i really care about is whether the place is clean, whether there's a desk for work, maybe a pool if it's a hot country. whether a hotel is fancy mostly affects things like the quality of the breakfast or the size of the room, but eating out is more fun and i don't need my room to be big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

related: i don't get bed and breakfasts. old people seem to love going to someone else's house and getting served breakfast at some set time by a stranger, talking to them etc. why the hell would you want that instead of just a hotel? maybe it's because old people tend to be lonely or something and want the interaction