Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, historically I have been mostly a budget traveler, finding the cheapest reasonable hotel I can, going to not-too-popular travel destinations or just visiting my parents. The last time I took a serious vacation was to Taiwan in 2017, and for that I stayed in a friend's parents' apartment, which wasn't terrifically luxurious, but was absolutely great for my purposes (clean, had a bathroom with a shower, and a mattress for me to sleep on). I've tended to think of the hotel/motel I'm staying at as basically a place I sleep at, and that's it. I've stayed in nicer places for work (the Luxor in Vegas, the Marriott in Chicago), but those were for conferences, and were really just places to sleep.

I was going to take a fairly lengthy trip to Japan when the pandemic hit (like, March of 2020), and wound up having to cancel it; since then, I've made a decision that I'm going to attempt to never go more than 12-18 months without a substantial (12+ days) vacation. I'm single and have no children, so I tend to travel in the off season (fall and spring). I was looking at things like the Marriott at the time, and they were wildly expensive in comparison to the local hotels (like, $500 a night for a room with two beds compared to $140 a night for a room with three; I'm planning to travel with two friends, so three beds is definitely an upgrade). I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing out on by being fairly utilitarian about my hotel accommodations... like, other than I guess the bed being a bit softer, a bigger room, and maybe a continental breakfast or more expansive (and wildly expensive) room service, what's the advantage? If we're mostly planning on being out and about during the day, is it just nicer surroundings to come back to? Just doesn't seem to justify the multiplicative increase in price.

Question two is about luggage, if I'm traveling internationally on longer (I think the Japan trip will wind up being 18-20 days) trips, I'm thinking the best luggage situation is one carry-on and one checked bag, bring enough clothes that I only have to do laundry once? Or should I just bring God's own amount of clothes and plan on not doing laundry at all? My main luggage right now is a very old beat-to-poo poo duffel bag, so I've been looking through Wirecutter reviews on bags, and I'm thinking like one small duffel bag as a carry-on that I'd also use as a gym bag, and then a larger bag (either like a wheeled duffel or one of the wheeled rectangle bags). Is that the best way to go given traveling alone? I tend to pack light.

Basically, school me on making my travel better. Open to other suggestions I may not have considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Casual Yogurt posted:

Get a backpack and stay at a hostel. You can pay them to do your laundry.

I snore, and I can afford hotels, so that feels very inconsiderate.

I've done it before, though; at this point in my life, I'm okay paying for the private room with my own bathroom.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

In some hostels you can also get a whole private room which gives you the privacy to snore with the facilities like laundry and kitchen.

Another option I quite like are whole apartment or aparthotels. YMMV but they're generally pretty nice and comfortable, you have your own facilities so you don't have to talk to anyone and can do whatever you want.

As for luggage it really depends on how you'll travel. If you'll be using public transport, a large suitcase is a huge pain in the rear end. If you'll have a car, you can keep it in the trunk and take things amps needed. Clothes depend on the climate, if it's moderate I've gotten away with just washing socks and underwear, but if it's super hot of course all the shirts get sweaty and gross pretty quickly.

I am definitely a public transit type; I despise having to deal with parking and getting/dropping off a rental car, and I don't own a car.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So, how do you find a good AirBnB in a country where you don't speak the language? This won't be a concern for me in Japan (I've got a friend along who does), but I'm looking at going to probably Prague in 2023 (definitely Reykjavik + somewhere else in Europe, probably somewhere where I don't speak the language). I'd feel really nervous about getting hosed over if there's something wrong; it'd be hard to book a new place to stay.

Edit: also, I hate cooking, I don't know how strongly that figures into the AirBnB vs. hotel math.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 14, 2021