Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

DC to Daylight posted:

I'm definitely not trying to pick on you, but I think this is an interesting sentiment that many people share.

Rhetorically - what is the difference between craft art and fine art? Quality? Subject matter? Skills used? Materials? Why draw a line and where?

For some reason it's a media based line drawn in the sand. The craft arts are metals, wood, fibers, ceramics, and glass. Drawing, painting, and stone sculpture are fine art. Illustration is.... whatever? A lot of the confusion stems from about the late 60s through the 70s when the definition of art became "whatever you want it to be" so Literally a Person is correct with their joke. The 60s is also about the time when performance art got big and artists start purposefully pushing the envelope and you wind up with poo poo like this:

Bruce Nauman, Failing to Levitate in the Studio, 1966
I believe Nauman's deal was he deemed anything he did in his studio to be art, which includes actions like awkwardly flopping off a chair.

Both of these are by Piero Manzoni, the titles are Artist's poo poo and Artist's Breath from like 1961 and 1960. And yes he had his actual poo poo canned and at one point the balloon was indeed blown up with his breath in it. I hear some of the cans have exploded due to bacterial build up, and he did the balloon thing multiple times and they've all lost air by now. But again, it's all part of everybody collectively trying to redefine art and one up each other. Hell, you could argue it goes as far back as Duchamp's Fountain and the whole Dada movement if you wanted to.

The end result is nobody knows wtf art is anymore, and I'm going to blame it for a lot of modern and contemporary works being inscrutable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Literally A Person posted:

Well I don't know art but I know what I like. So what I like is art. *frames big titty anime figurine*

Pics pls

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

For some reason it's a media based line drawn in the sand. The craft arts are metals, wood, fibers, ceramics, and glass. Drawing, painting, and stone sculpture are fine art. Illustration is.... whatever? A lot of the confusion stems from about the late 60s through the 70s when the definition of art became "whatever you want it to be" so Literally a Person is correct with their joke. The 60s is also about the time when performance art got big and artists start purposefully pushing the envelope and you wind up with poo poo like this:

Bruce Nauman, Failing to Levitate in the Studio, 1966
I believe Nauman's deal was he deemed anything he did in his studio to be art, which includes actions like awkwardly flopping off a chair.

Both of these are by Piero Manzoni, the titles are Artist's poo poo and Artist's Breath from like 1961 and 1960. And yes he had his actual poo poo canned and at one point the balloon was indeed blown up with his breath in it. I hear some of the cans have exploded due to bacterial build up, and he did the balloon thing multiple times and they've all lost air by now. But again, it's all part of everybody collectively trying to redefine art and one up each other. Hell, you could argue it goes as far back as Duchamp's Fountain and the whole Dada movement if you wanted to.

The end result is nobody knows wtf art is anymore, and I'm going to blame it for a lot of modern and contemporary works being inscrutable.

art is anything created or modified by human intent that makes you feel feelings when you look at it

Art is whatever you can sucker rich patrons into paying you for

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

Well I don't know art but I know what I like. So what I like is art. *frames big titty anime figurine*

Putting it in your cum jar is not “framing”

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Arivia posted:

Putting it in your cum jar is not “framing”

Don't stifle my creativity.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

art is anything created or modified by human intent that makes you feel feelings when you look at it

Art is whatever you can sucker rich patrons into paying you for

But is poop in a can fine or merely craft?

Edit: Or is it fine art if you do it Jackson Pollock style, but becomes craft if you opt for mass production with one of those play-doh fun factory things?

DC to Daylight fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 8, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
For what it's worth that image of the canned poop I yanked off the Tate Modern's website. Everything is art, it's how well you sucker in people with your bullshit that makes it fine.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

For what it's worth that image of the canned poop I yanked off the Tate Modern's website. Everything is art, it's how well you sucker in people with your bullshit that makes it fine.

I agree with this and also with your nice summary of modern/post-modern/dadist stuff. I also think there's a major element of classism baked in. Fibers, ceramics and (base) metals made into functional items is for the plebs.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This is that Harold Tishler bowl I talked about earlier. It’s kinda neat. I think it’s from the 60s. Enameled copper

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Very nice bowl, I am a sucker for metal enameled stuff as well. How'd you come by it, auction?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Very nice bowl, I am a sucker for metal enameled stuff as well. How'd you come by it, auction?

Yeah at an estate sale. It was in a lot with some other stuff. Not a lot of money, maybe $25. Some of his stuff is on eBay, none of it is particularly expensive but it’s kinda nice.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Let's start with the lamps, which I sort of accidentally started collecting and refurbishing on account of living across the street from a thrift store. I'm going to pull images from online now since I don't have them all together and organized, and a few are disassembled. All but one are just desk lamps, my end table and night table lamps are mostly just old brass lamps.

I have 3 G440 Counterbalance Lamps, one by Tensor and two by either Zelda or Milano Dana. All use the classic Tensor design with a transformer that takes 120V and has a rocker switch for hi/lo settings using a 12V/50W bulb. They have UV filters over the bulbs to prevent them from sunburning you while using them all day. I'm probably going to keep the Tensor and sell the other two.

Ralph Lauren chrome swing arm lamp, some genius gave it to goodwill and I got it for $7.50 because they bent the switch. It needs a new socket and new shade, I'll be fixing it up and probably selling it.

Ottlie vintage brass/wood task lamp. My girlfriend is currently using it as a desk lamp.

Adjustable Pottery Barn task light in blue powder coat. I use it at the moment because it can clear the swing arm on my monitor.

Pottery Barn Rowan nautical-themed light/nightlight. Got it for a few bucks, once I move somewhere bigger I'll find a place for it even though it's a kids' product.

I just found a LumiSource Robyn today for $40 at the local Bed, Bath, and Beyond that's closing. No way am I letting go of this beauty.

Still to come: Random antiques, fine art, radioactive glass, nifty vintage electrical and mechanical stuff, space rocks, spaceflight hardware/memorabilia (not sure if they've finished building it, but this may include a cabinet of Apollo program mission control hardware I donated to a local museum), aerospace memorabilia including actual pieces of black Skunk Works planes, a supersonic bomber, and more (oh, the humanity!)

fermun posted:

I collect Soviet space-themed lapel pins

I have somewhere around 100-150 more that I've been too lazy to organize into a display case and instead keep in my desk drawer and pull out and look at every week or two
That's impressive. I may have a couple of duplicates from the Buran program I'd be willing to sell or trade if you're interested and would consider letting a Buran thermal tile go for the right price.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GWBBQ posted:

Let's start with the lamps, which I sort of accidentally started collecting and refurbishing on account of living across the street from a thrift store. I'm going to pull images from online now since I don't have them all together and organized, and a few are disassembled. All but one are just desk lamps, my end table and night table lamps are mostly just old brass lamps.

I have 3 G440 Counterbalance Lamps, one by Tensor and two by either Zelda or Milano Dana. All use the classic Tensor design with a transformer that takes 120V and has a rocker switch for hi/lo settings using a 12V/50W bulb. They have UV filters over the bulbs to prevent them from sunburning you while using them all day. I'm probably going to keep the Tensor and sell the other two.

Ralph Lauren chrome swing arm lamp, some genius gave it to goodwill and I got it for $7.50 because they bent the switch. It needs a new socket and new shade, I'll be fixing it up and probably selling it.

Ottlie vintage brass/wood task lamp. My girlfriend is currently using it as a desk lamp.

Adjustable Pottery Barn task light in blue powder coat. I use it at the moment because it can clear the swing arm on my monitor.

Pottery Barn Rowan nautical-themed light/nightlight. Got it for a few bucks, once I move somewhere bigger I'll find a place for it even though it's a kids' product.

I just found a LumiSource Robyn today for $40 at the local Bed, Bath, and Beyond that's closing. No way am I letting go of this beauty.

Still to come: Random antiques, fine art, radioactive glass, nifty vintage electrical and mechanical stuff, space rocks, spaceflight hardware/memorabilia (not sure if they've finished building it, but this may include a cabinet of Apollo program mission control hardware I donated to a local museum), aerospace memorabilia including actual pieces of black Skunk Works planes, a supersonic bomber, and more (oh, the humanity!)

That's impressive. I may have a couple of duplicates from the Buran program I'd be willing to sell or trade if you're interested and would consider letting a Buran thermal tile go for the right price.

Wow I like your dining room where did you get that table

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

(I think it’s a stock photo)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GWBBQ posted:

gently caress this is just making me want to collect art or something museum worthy even more now, thought it'd be in the realm of having to worry about extra insurance. Even envious of the lamps, which reminds me of the whatever lamp bases I have sitting around that I was totally going to fix up one day, you know, some time soon. Next year has got to be the year of getting projects done for me, collecting or otherwise.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

That's from the LumiSource website. Email them, they're helpful people

Here's one for the retro nerds, Space Invaders parts 1 and 2

And one particularly eclectic one.

A couple of months after moving, I received a UK Royal Mail envelope addressed to me (I live in the US). Inside was a Banksy Di-Faced Tenner and the accompanying letter from someone claiming to be an art dealer, explaining that some of the bills he sold were photocopies returned by customers. Because of that, he was sending me an authentic replacement.

The letter is signed by hand and notarized by Banksy. Their real names are not used. I don't know whether to be more puzzled or amused considering I never bought one in the first place. I like to think that Banksy is chilling out with Massive Attack and they're just sending poo poo to random people to gently caress with them.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

i love lamp

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

i want a vintage articulating lamp like that pottery barn one, but they've gotten extremely expensive. there are some particular brands that buyers go crazy for,. i think o.c. white is one? this one dude came through the shop i used to work at, he has a shop in japan selling high end vintage and and his business card/logo literally had those lamps on it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I love/collect lamps/light fixtures too, although in a slightly different style than what’s been already posted:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Those are gorgeous, and I love your decor overall. Please tell me the DVD/VHS combo unit I see means the TV works.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 12, 2022

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Yes it does, I took the original B& W tube guts out of it and installed 27” CRT innards about 18 years ago, you can’t even tell externally.

I made a GBS thread as I was doing the conversion, but I have no idea what the title or even the year was.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Love those lamps and that decor. I've been pondering getting a "spaghetti lamp" as I saw one at a local antique store, grandma's house used to have. Don't quite have a spot for it yet though :(

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yes it does, I took the original B& W tube guts out of it and installed 27” CRT innards about 18 years ago, you can’t even tell externally.

I made a GBS thread as I was doing the conversion, but I have no idea what the title or even the year was.
Nice. Going by the bezel fit, is it a Zenith tube?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

DAMMIT. :negative:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

Nice. Going by the bezel fit, is it a Zenith tube?

I can’t remember, but I don’t think so. I did it on the cheap, so I measured the shade cutout on the old TV, then went down to Costco and found the closest match I could. It’s not a perfect fit, of course, those old tubes were ‘rounder’ than the last-Gen CRT’s, so there’s 3/4” or so on the top and bottom that’s cut off, but you really only notice it when there’s credits or something that has scrolling text.

I really used it just to put on a kid’s video when friends would come by with their little ones to keep them occupied. I’m not a big TV watcher and when I do I watch the flatscreen in my bedroom.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

That tension/swag lamp is nuts. What’s the pink one keeping your snorks company?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

kreeningsons posted:

That tension/swag lamp is nuts. What’s the pink one keeping your snorks company?

That’s an oddball lamp that is a replica of a Fifties DJ microphone - it’s mounted on a heavy iron base and is on a long boom that swings out. It’s old, probably from the Sixties, and it’s actually a deep red color, I don’t know why it shows up pink. I don’t really have a place for it but it’s odd enough that I hung on to it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Oh gently caress, I completely missed this until just now. The letter accompanying the "replacement" Banksy note lists an original sale date despite the lack of an original sale. It's one year to the day after my mom died.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Crossposting from the favorite thrift store find thread.

GWBBQ posted:

GWBBQ and his GF are antique hunters, Goodwill employees ... don't actually hate us since we live across the street and are some of their best customers. This evening, we were in line, she asked me to bring a little wooden chest of drawers back and put it on the shelf, and I spotted a crystal whiskey decanter. I took a look at it, grabbed it

And screamed "waiiiiiiiiit." as I sprinted back to the register before adding it to the total and paying. I had spotted something on the bottom, a Val St. Lambert signature

I paid $15. It's 1950s vintage, and might be worth as much as $400.
There's a slight chip out of the lip that I didn't notice when I grabbed it; that might tank the value, but I'm still going to at least get an estimate from someone at the antiques mall a few blocks away.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

I love/collect lamps/light fixtures too, although in a slightly different style than what’s been already posted:
I'll post it later or tomorrow, but I just picked up an orange Westinghouse SD74 box fan that would fit in perfectly in your house. If I decide to sell it, you'll get first dibs.

edit: obviously needs a bit of cleaning, but here you go.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 20, 2022

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Nice! I don’t think I’ve ever seen an orange box fan before.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JnnyThndrs posted:

Really? It was extremely popular, lots of people still play Team Fortress 2

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

:vince:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

It's in great shape except for that one broken piece on the back and will look even better once I clean it up. Now that Christmas has passed, I'm back to selling things I've "collected" since I have nowhere to store them.

Gripweed posted:

Really? It was extremely popular, lots of people still play Team Fortress 2
:vince:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Boredom during The Plague somehow led me to collecting oddball electronics. Here are a couple of Seiko clock mini-collections.

Talking pyramid clocks for which I made a display case:

https://i.imgur.com/FFvnZNW.mp4
d r a m a t i c

https://i.imgur.com/foWUrAG.mp4
Some travel clocks (for which I'll also make.. something, TBD):

https://i.imgur.com/kJ6d0ZH.mp4

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Trabant posted:

Boredom during The Plague somehow led me to collecting oddball electronics. Here are a couple of Seiko clock mini-collections.

for which I made a display case:

Very nice lit case you made there.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you :tipshat: I'm pretty proud of how it turned out.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s a great collection and super sexy presentation, nice job

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks! Took me a while to come up with something that felt like it fit the weird majesty of those pyramids.

(also, forgot to mention that the clip of TARS-rear end clocks includes audio :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Dragon the 6th has come in, and is more a Dracthyr from WoW:

He's loving awesome, and I'm excited to get a proper case and lighting for him here soon.