Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

so much goddamn dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I don't collect stamps but I got a bunch of soviet stamps for a dollar from an ad in the back of popular science when I was a kid and they were soooo cool

like these motherfuckers were vaporwave in the 60s

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

For some reason it's a media based line drawn in the sand. The craft arts are metals, wood, fibers, ceramics, and glass. Drawing, painting, and stone sculpture are fine art. Illustration is.... whatever? A lot of the confusion stems from about the late 60s through the 70s when the definition of art became "whatever you want it to be" so Literally a Person is correct with their joke. The 60s is also about the time when performance art got big and artists start purposefully pushing the envelope and you wind up with poo poo like this:

Bruce Nauman, Failing to Levitate in the Studio, 1966
I believe Nauman's deal was he deemed anything he did in his studio to be art, which includes actions like awkwardly flopping off a chair.

Both of these are by Piero Manzoni, the titles are Artist's poo poo and Artist's Breath from like 1961 and 1960. And yes he had his actual poo poo canned and at one point the balloon was indeed blown up with his breath in it. I hear some of the cans have exploded due to bacterial build up, and he did the balloon thing multiple times and they've all lost air by now. But again, it's all part of everybody collectively trying to redefine art and one up each other. Hell, you could argue it goes as far back as Duchamp's Fountain and the whole Dada movement if you wanted to.

The end result is nobody knows wtf art is anymore, and I'm going to blame it for a lot of modern and contemporary works being inscrutable.

art is anything created or modified by human intent that makes you feel feelings when you look at it

Art is whatever you can sucker rich patrons into paying you for