Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

WoD mummies are Mary Sues who pretty much can't die and are insanely powerful. There's only a small number of them. They're one of the few splats that are good guys.

CoD mummies are ancient burglar alarms for a forgotten empire that once dominated a large portion of the human race but now mostly exists through cults. The mummy cults do get involved in politics though from what I understand to remake this empire. CoD mummy is a troupe game too because mummies are really powerful and have no real reason to collaborate amongst themselves like other supernaturals since they don't wake up unless something is taken. This means you're going to be playing a cultist and switch off from time to time who plays the mummy.

Fun fact, in Mummy: The Curse, a mummy's supernatural resource (Sekhem) is actually scientifically measurable, and since it's usually attached to artifacts rather than the mummies themselves, it's useable by humans. There's an antagonistic mega-corporation called Last Dynasty Incorporated, and their entire goal is to get their hands on all of the magical artifacts they can... So they can cure cancer and AIDS and extend lifespans, but only for people who give them lots of money. It's interesting to see the shift from corporate antagonists being cartoonish Captain Planet-esque megapolluters in Werewolf, to Mummy where it's essentially a slight exaggeration of the pharmaceutical industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

It's fun to see all of the Western fantasy tropes in Japanese media and how they differ from what we usually see, and the answer as to why they're like that usually just boils down to "well that's how it worked in Wizardry"

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Zoeb posted:

How do folks feel about how race science and racist myths like Hyperborean Atlantis are part of the heritage of the fantasy genre (Conan) and attempts by modern game makers to distance character options from the word "race" or game mechanics surrounding this fantasy ancestry gets +2 to this minus whatever to that?

It's been interesting to see the industry grapple with this over the past couple of years. I think the dust has kind of settled on the whole "racial attribute bonus" controversy at this time, where the writers say "Yeah, elves typically have a +2 to Dexterity... But you can put that elsewhere if you want to, we're not cops". That's a good compromise, I think. Having optimized character builds locked behind any racial choice is kinda sucky just from a gameplay perspective, before bringing in any real-life implications.

I think the biggest change in the fantasy genre space recently is that major publishers are scrambling away from the concept of any sentient race being evil-by-default. It's long-overdue, I think, but it's just been such a taken-for-granted part of fantasy gaming culture that any attempt at reforming it is gonna be a little clumsy. Like, sure, Forgotten Realms, the non-evil drow elves have been just off-camera this entire time, I believe you. The most jarring example I've found is the Tal'Dorei setting books, where the first edition explicitly said that all goblinoids are irrevocably-evil vermin that deserve to be exterminated, while the second edition says that goblinoids are just taxpaying citizens that society totally accepts with open arms. It's weird, but appreciated, I guess? What a difference your web show getting immensely popular can make.

Slightly unrelated, it's been a long time since I've paid any attention to Shadowrun, I'm curious to see what they're doing with that nowadays. Back when I played in 4th edition, I remember paragraphs about Ork culture that pretty much turned directly to the reader and said "Hey, Orks are what white people think Latinos and Black people are like, do you get it?" In retrospect, it wasn't great.