Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Archonex posted:

Or to put it another way, imagine if someone put out a book called "The Old World of Darkness: Native Americans" where every person of native american descent was depicted as a really racist "Me smoke-um peace pipe." type magical shaman who danced around the fire at night to ward off evil spirits while getting liquored up on firewater. Only the writer/s tried to portray this as a good thing that is normal and isn't at all loving horrifying in the level of bigotry it shows off. That's basically how the Gypsies book was, only for a different minority.

Oh hello shadowrun.

(Yes, I know shadowrun isn't SR, but they grew up on the same street in the 90s together, and share a lot of unfortunate themes, including both games trying to make sympathetic AIDS victim analogues by making them contagious flesh/blood eating monster.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Wait, is this the Swedracula/Chechen Vampire Pogrom thing?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

True, but I suppose the politics of WW as a company itself might be topical to the thread, especially, uh, when said politics create real world political problems. There does need to be hard limits since there is...a bunch to unpack. You go too far away from Vampire and you end up with Phil "Satyros" Brucato telling you its not bestiality as long as you're both wolves. Or whatever the hell aberrant was about, despite aberrant being a great insight into a particular kind of 90s brainworms.

Also, you know, Wraith: The Oblivion

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 29, 2021

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Technocracy are the bad guys not because they believe in Science, but because they're Western Imperialism and Capitalism.

I thought the bigger meta argument was fought in the not-canon-but-also-canon-multi-splat-canon where the Technocratic Soviet Union ultimately lost to a vampircally controlled West, this being one of the bigger examples of non-mages forcing reality consensus changes upon the technocracy. And various vignettes where vampires would sass mages and get away with it. Correct me if I"m wrong but didn't Ventrue fart out to where the Tradition strongholds were they proceeded to poo poo on the senior mages and mock and scold them, and get away with it?

Then there was the parts in Werewolf which were "If you REALLY want to save the world/reality, get a mage NPC ally..."

Cobalt-60 posted:

Seems like Werewolf missed the crazy drama. All they had were the "my Indian name would be Proud Eagle" wannabe wiccans and a bunch of (in retrospect) furries.

It was a different lower key type of grossness. Werewolf the Forsaken has an anprim and eugenicist undertone (some tribes were far worse about it than other), with blood purity and descent being a core component of some types of woofiness.
And as mentioned, the whole appeal to white nerds with a Dances-with-Wolves complex who thinks being shapeshifted into a wolf solves that particular romantic ethics problem.

It was an earlier Canary-in-the-coal-mine of how there is both reactionary anti-imperialism (See also, Nazbols ranting about GLOBOHOMO or whatever) and progressive leftism anti-imperalism and sometimes they can get mixed up and its never good.

There was also the idea of eco-terrorists in the 90s showed up in fiction a lot until it became apparent in reality there would be no new Weather Underground inside the continental U.S. because people didn't actually care that much. Rainbow Six and other mil-fiction, in addition to Werewolf, was really reaching to find a new conflict post-fall of the Soviet Union.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 30, 2021

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

The Technocracy also has a theoretically salvageable 'SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!' faction, for that particular nerd fetish of musk-esque technoimperialism.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is very well put.

White Wolf in general has a problem of metaphor drift. Like, we already have a very workable metaphor for capitalism in Vampire: old, calcified systems of control that attempt to absorb everything underneath them, and which exist forever the way corporations do. We also have the comically over the top Captain Planet villain in Pentex, responsible for both world scale destruction of the environment and toys that literally make children depressed and teach them to be sexist and abusive. And so of course, when the Mage metaphor for capitalism comes up, well, it needs to be tied into the other two: the Syndicate's Special Projects Division works alongside Pentex, and there are probably Vampires working with Hall and Nash and the rest of the New World Order, and so on. But then the metaphors fight each other? How are we supposed to read the Technocracy blowing up the Ravnos antediluvian with the ghost of the Hiroshima nuke? Are the Vampires now the persecuted minorities, rather than calcified capital? Is this instead now a metaphor for Capitalism supplanting Feudalism? Or is this just a way to move the metaplot forward and erase some mistakes White Wolf made in the early 90s?

So, with most oWoD games, you end up with this strange mixture of "philosophical musings on the nature of trust, belief, and control" with "Doctor Blight and her computer sidekick MAL are hacking into the environmental agency's database to turn parks into legal dumping sites for Sly Sludge" and the reach of the former generally exceeding the grasp of the latter.

Mark Fisher's Capitalism Realism hits on this very well: it's difficult to imagine a world not run on capitalist principles. In order to present a "reality war" one needs to provide a coherent and appealing vision of what that alternative world looks like and how it functions. oMage doesn't do that very well, in my opinion. nMage does.

World of Darkness: And then the metaphors fight each other

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of the designers is a "Nixon was right to bomb Cambodgia" Republican. Kenneth Hite.

Funnily enough he was in charge of Fall of Delta Green, the 60s version, and it does not shy away from the horrors perpretated by America.

Right wingers who are clear eyed about what their ideology entails are arguably more horrific than the ones that lie to themselves/are ignorant of it. 'Realpolitik' is shorthand for "Hi, I'm a monster"

From what I recall, in DG you can also play professional criminals, but are narcs on a fed leash.

TheCenturion posted:

Go play Diplomacy. Hide the kitchen knives first.

The last time I played a boardgame it was Diplomacy. Everyone else was drunk and there were multiple weapons lying around.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 9, 2021

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Hey, it gets a certain proportion of New Vegas players every time.

It's remarkable House is as popular and defended as he is. Maybe I could understand 10 years ago, or when I played NV in 2015, but not 2021.

Its a philosophy that celebrates mediocre white men as becoming ubermensh by doing the same things that come naturally to them. That just by sitting there and being Rational Decision Makers or whatever, technology allows for an apotheosis where the comfortable will become even more comfortable and all human experience outside these bounds can not only be dismissed as irrelevant, but can be declared obsolete (i.e. using a technological distinction as a moral judgement. Their 19th century equivilents would've used "barbaric" and/or "savage").

Imagine God embodied as a Twitter Checkmark.

Its going to be more popular than ever because daydreaming rich idiots like Elon are the only ones with any vision of the future beyond "the same, but steadily worse".

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, too many RPGs seem to have the notion that destroying a big bad will lead to an even worse evil coming in and you are responsible for destroying a brutal status quo that was the only hope.