Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

That parody gets shut down by the Tolkien Estate but that lovely, generic, LOTR-themed mobile game gets their approval. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

By popular demand posted:

Just you wait, in a decade or so we'll get people identifying with the Pakled from Star Trek.

Being chunky, looking much similar to each other than the other alien species are and being depicted as 'dumb' makes them seem to be surface-level based on people with Downs Syndrome. It doesn't seem too purposeful, but Lower Decks then went on to give them, effectively, 'r*t*rd strength'. The live action stuff seemed to try and move them away from being the 'Downs aliens' after they first appeared but Lower Decks undid that progress. 🙁

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Angry Salami posted:

??? There were no live-action appearances after their first episode (excluding extras in crowd scenes.) Lower Decks didn't 'undo' anything, and I really don't think 'big dumb meathead' in the context of a comedy cartoon is anything other than a basic humor archetype.

They don't need to be about themselves to show changes, the other characters did speak of them and they were involved in aspects of the storyline in DS9.

Compare the resident 'big dumb meathead' of the Klingons, and the Pakleds. Even if the writers didn't consiously create them as such, they've certainly slipped further down an unfortunate slope.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Randalor posted:

That's always the part that has me scratching my head over these moral panics. Yes, D&D/Doom has demons. They're also explicitly the baddies and your job is usually to send them back to hell. Sure, there are some exceptions, but those tend to be of the "This character is explicitly the exception to the rule" types.

All they needed to do was say his name was The Reverend John Doomguy and that he had gone through the proper channels of being trained as an exorcist before joining the UAC as a space marine and methods had simply changed between now and The Year of Our Lord Twenty-Two Exty-Ex. Also they weren't able to fit a "the power of Christ compelled you" midi onto the floppy discs. :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Extremely little of the moral panic around games has ever been based on any of the actual content.

Well, yes, that too.

Wait, poo poo, John Doomguy is canonically descended from William Blazkowicz, right? Hmm... Maybe he isn't descended from Blazkowicz' daughter(s)?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

St. George (killing something dangerous but ultimately just a weird animal) is an outlier, most western and eastern dragon myths describe creatures that are basically demigods

I think in a lot of England-related stories regarding 'dragons' being repelled or slain the dragon is otherwise depicted as 'just' a really big snake. I think there's a story about a guy getting rid of one that was investing a well.

Imagine that one Babycakes cartoon about the knight presenting a crocodile to a King a saying "behold, a Satan!" but it's a larger-than-average snake and they're saying "behold, a Dragon!"

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is a big thread and the only one I've really read on tabletop games, was there some game or setting that took place in the cthulhu mythos after humans were extinct and the surviving factions were predictably horrible? I've tried ctrl+fing lovecraft but I haven't found it

Chaosium did a range of short pdfs in their Monograph series. The two I can think of are set after it all goes down, one set on Earth a few thousand years after and there are a couple of places protected from most of the old ones due to worship of one particular old one and the human sacrifices that go with it.

The other is set on a Human colony on Mars set a few hundred years after it all went down. Mars is somewhat, minimally terraformed, there are secrets to be found about ancient Martians, etc. I think the colony believes a nuclear war happened which is why communications stopped, and an attempt to go back to Earth to find out what really happened may threaten the colony. Perhaps the top tier of the colony is more aware of what is going on, but still doesn't know the whole truth which is why the 'nuclear war' explanation is told to the rest of the colony.

None of these pdfs are labeled as 'monographs' anymore, so it's difficult to search them out.

Edit: The Mars-based one is called End Time, still looking for the other one.

Edit, again: The Cruel Empire of... *sigh* Tsan Chan is the other. They aren't connected, but I don't see how they couldn't be made to be so.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you REALLY wanted to start a nerd fight a much more fruitful question is "how many balrogs were there"

Er, loads? They were practically foot-soldiers at the start, if I understand right. I don't think it goes against Tolkein's shtick that people were just built different back in the days the Elves and Humans first laid siege to Angmar, and that a couple elves or so could totally go toe-to-toe with a Durin's Bane-style Balrog.