Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

That's why Mage: The Awakening is better. In awakening, the bad guys are the old wizards of yore, who seized ultimate magical power only to pull up the ladder behind them and break the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

fr0id posted:

Yes, but everyone playing REMEMBERS the loving state. That is key. There is a history to Oath that is lacking in other games.

For folks who don’t know. Oath is a board game of conquest and empire. Importantly, the person who wins a game gets to dictate the beginning state of the next game. So the echoes of their victory and any resentments build over it. THIS is actual history. People get to remember betrayals and victories and humiliations. These things stick in a way that they don’t with other games. The victors decisions of the last game are always there to remind you.

To clarify, the board is split between the Cradle (of the current state), the Provinces, and the Hinterlands. The locations owned by the winning player at the end of the game always make up the Cradle for the next game, and they start as the next game's chancellor. Also, the advisor deck is stacked to have more of what ever the last winning player's most common suit was. Finally, winning players can add monument cards in, or repair ruined monument cards for the next game.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Good rules matter a lot for TT RPGs, but good DMs and good groups matter even more. That's why bad rule systems have managed to skate along for so long in this hobby. Game design is only the 2nd most important thing when creating these games, rather than the first. This even bleeds over to board games where some of the worst designed popular board games (Xia, Firefly, Munchkins) are the ones that have the most RPG influence.

To bring it back to politics, zoo management has become a more popular theme for euro style board games now. I'm thinking of games like Ark Nova, Barenpark, New York Zoo, Dinosaur Island, and Draftosaurus. I guess it's a nicer flavor text than the industrialism, old colonial industry, or trading themes. At first glance, zoos are way less problematic than those themes.

As for more political explicit games, I really liked High Treason: The Trial of Louis Riel, and I am looking forward to that designer's second game Corrupt Bargain: The 1824 Presidential Election.