Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
It's nowhere near as bad as a lot of other stuff in the setting, but for some reason the "dumb Dragonlance thing" that has stuck with me for like 30 years is that Weiss and/or Hickman forgot the difference between a "halberd" (i.e. a polearm) and a "hauberk" (a shirt of mail armor), so there's at least one entire scene in one of the original novels where Our Heroes are menaced by outerwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

D&D dwarfs don't really seem connected to any specific Jewish stereotypes. D&D is the original "dwarfs are fantasy scotland" with all the clans and beards and stuff.

Short, heavily-bearded folks (often depicted with prominent noses, even if only so that their faces don't get completely lost in the facial hair) who tend to love gold and treasure are absolutely connected to Jewish stereotypes.

Tolkien also based the Dwarvish language in LotR specifically and intentionally on Semitic languages, despite their Norse-derived names (because there's also a lot of Norse mythology dwarves in Tolkien's Dwarves), and explicitly said in one of his letters that the Dwarves were inspired by Jews in the sense of being a people driven from their homeland and living in their own community enclaves within other populations, speaking their own language and keeping their traditional culture alive. And a lot of Tolkien derived fantasy settings lift both of those elements, even if they don't necessarily understand the source of them.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The high elves would absolutely vote for Ulthuexit and then complain that they can't live in Estalia anymore.

This is basically just the War of the Beard.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Randalor posted:

I am intrigued and horrified. What book is that from so I can make sure I never own a copy I paid money for?

It's The Adventurer's Guide to the Bible, a 5e source book for... well... adventuring in "the time of the Bible" which, to the authors at least, appears to mean "the year 29 CE."

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/359794

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Someone with more photoshop skills than I please replace "DON'T OPEN DEAD INSIDE" from that famous Walking Dead scene with "DO NOT TRUST WOKE" tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Dwarves as fantasy Scots is a bit of a weird one for me as a Scot because I don’t really see “stereotype of Scottish people” in your stereotypical dwarf. They’re commonly portrayed with Scottish accents and sometimes have Scottish names and occasionally have a bagpipe joke thrown in, sure, but that’s kind of it? Like, your stereotypical Dwarf is short, strong, drinks a lot of beer, lives underground and is obsessed with gold. The only parts of that that really fit a Scottish stereotype are “drinks a lot” and “obsessed with gold” and tbh that’s almost quaint because Scots being misers is some 18th century poo poo I don’t think anyone considers stereotypical of Scots any more, and if you were reaching for a stereotype of modern Scots, implying we’re stereotypical for drinking beer again misses the mark so hard it’s kind of cute.

Basically, if you switch out the accents and tone down the Scottishness of the names there’s very little that culturally connects dwarves to Scotland, I think.

As with many, many things in D&D, "Scots dwarves" can be traced directly back to Poul Anderson's novel Three Hearts and Three Lions, which was a particular favorite of Gary Gygax. It also gave us the green, rubbery, regenerating troll, Law and Chaos as alignments, and IIRC several elements of the D&D paladin class. From there it spread via D&D fiction (both Flint from Dragonlance and... umm... whoever Drizzt's dwarf buddy was in those books have vaguely Scottish accents) and to other fantasy works like Warcraft. Curiously, I don't recall Warhammer ever really going in on the Scots dwarf stereotype, but other than reading one Gotrek & Felix novel I'm not super familiar with Warhammer fiction, so I could very easily be wrong.

As for why Poul Anderson wrote a dwarf with a Scottish accent, I have no idea.