Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

There's a few political things in settings I'd like to talk about myself but I think it'd be interesting to just mention Malifaux/Through The Breach and basically about how the initial jumping-off point was just fine. I know the metaplot needs to exist to sell new minis and armies and their followup game whose name I don't even remember but like. It was just fine and nuanced enough for a game where there's an entire faction of burlesque corset-clad undead sex workers. A fascist empire hamstrung by dwindling special resources/paperwork and nominally claiming rule over the majority of the world and dealing with that slipping grasp vs. a rebellious coalition of like-minded innovators and magical scholars united under the banner of reasonably corrupt union practices and both sides dealing with a variety of other parties such as proper Triads (even though the Ten Thunders are not just China), people who don't want to be in the union/listen to ethics as they pursue power and knowledge, and the Neverborn who are Malifaux's initial inhabitants who want everyone new to leave. There's just enough of an interesting political angle to jump off from depending on your interests and pursuits and it feels like it actually matters politically which way you push the dominos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ionicpsycho posted:

Hey, this has been bugging me for a bit and might actually be on topic.

Is it weird that 5e D&D takes place canonically in 1489 DR, where after the terrible, cataclysmic years leading up to 1487, everything magically becomes better once it hits 1488?

The number sticks out to me big time because it's one of the major compulsive tics that every white supremacist seems to need to make.
It's enough to make me twitch but also it really needs to be contextualized and sourced because I'll be damned if I can actually remember if like the core D&D 5e handbook has any concrete setting details period.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Debate and Discussion: John Wick Has Some Weird Politics.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Randalor posted:

I remember liking it better than SNL for the most part, and stuff like the Spy vs Spy cartoons were consistently funny, though some of the recurring sketches they had were just... wtf?

Edit: I looked up some of the sketches and... oof. I feel bad for enjoying this show as an idiot 10+ year old when it first aired. I'm honestly surprised it lasted 14 seasons.
Yeah it's legit pretty amazing how like SNL has a lot of oof ouch owie racism but then MadTV was just deeply and unapologetically racist/various forms of -ist for even the time it aired.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Anyone worth a drat who listens to System Mastery knows Dwarves are Italian-American New Yorkers.