Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All of the runic writing tolkien provided us are elven. The dwarves explicitly don’t share their language with outsiders. Because jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Chuds say they're jews, for obvious chud reasons.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Their direct nazi inspiration is nazi skinhead gangs in the GB of the original GW writers' era, not the guys invading Russia in Hugo Boss.

Half of warhammer races are assorted football hooligans.

The high elves would absolutely vote for Ulthuexit and then complain that they can't live in Estalia anymore.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I bought Root for my wife's bday based on the original posts, it slaps.

Great gameplay, great concept, great idea to turn it all into woodland critters.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 20, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think it's very doable for 12-16 assuming it's something they're into and not like "god my parents are forcing me to play this stupid board game"

If you've got the time and energy to be the rules-knower it's a great pick. I'm blessed because my wife is also a nerd though so caveats apply.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah but that makes it unfun for every other player, bad for game design and bad for friend groups

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah, it is. Because the Vagabond is op and gets not fun to play against. It's like playing a thematic wargame army vs a hyperoptimized netlist. Or playing a gimmicky pizza and beer DnD campaign but one friend brings a perfect badass build from the internet. It's not unfun in the "oh yeah your friend might backstab you, five beers in, the sparks will fly" like say a fantastic Diplomacy game can be. It's flat out not fun for either person. It turns into two too different games where ending other people's fun is the one person's game.

e: like vs people who know how to play it, it reminds me of throwing down my all goblins warhammer army in a pickup game vs someone's tournament army. We both knew the outcome before we started, it wasn't fun for either of us, and we weren't playing the same game. I should have brought my decent elves instead to at least let them warm up. Nobody enjoys the game even if we get along well otherwise.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 14, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

I was going to say, from the description the only thing I can think about the Vagabond is "good". Like, I'm not going to lie here, every single one of the various animal empire seems like dicks, and kicking them in the face repeatedly seems like a great time.

It's not good game design, but it is good to see

That sounds like you'd say an ex-nazi legion mercenary living fat off murdering people in Africa is good to see, because the British Empire, Jim Crow USA, and Stalin's USSR all sucked.

Politically, Vagabond doesn't win by helping anyone, Vagabond wins by causing indiscriminate murder and chaos instead of having an ideology or being loyal to anyone. Vagabond is a libertarian. Vagabond wants you to know it's ephebophilia not pedophilia. Vagabond has a sixteen part youtube video about how Star Wars was cucked.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fascism in tabletop games deserves WW2 wargames being mentioned. Even now they still really like having the RKKA being mindless zerg rush horde and the SS being ultra disciplined super soldiers. That's a talking point direct from nazis poached after surrender, and in the real war even the Wehrmacht viewed the Waffen-SS as suicidal and incompetent.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And yet in wargaming models, the Ratte (nazi land battleship of which 0 were built, would have demolished every bridge and field in Europe, piece of poo poo idea, they never even managed to get Panthers or Tigers working properly) exists in larger numbers than any allied dumbshit weapon. Where's my soviet flying tanks or my british iceberg carriers?

It all feeds the idea of fascism producing hardened elites when our best two examples of fascism, Germany and Italy, produced backstabbing clownshows while the likes of USSR, USA, and UK utterly defeated them in the real world. The T-34 didn't ever even get a turret basket. The loader had to scooby doo around the tank's floor grabbing shells as the turret rotated around him. It still killed vastly more nazi tanks than killed it. Turns out your cool tank with a broke rear end final drive and turret that direct enemy shells into the heads of the unfortunate driver and bow gunner (with their own ammo stored between their loving seats) is not that cool.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 2, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now I'm picturing a story where a bunch of time travelling nazis are going back to WW2 to try to give the Third Reich superweapons to win the war, but because they're all Nazis they're still a clownshow of delusions and backstabbing sabotating themselves constantly.

Harry Turtledove did this but it's pro-apartheid safricans giving kalashnikovs to the CSA

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They've patched it sense, so Stalin's paranoia is portrayed more like, well, paranoia. You can get a coup and civil war by Trotsky or Bukharin but you have to actually choose that.

You can, of course, also choose a resurgent White Russia because it's a HoI game, of course you can.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Killer robot posted:

It was so much of a team allegiance thing that early D&D had "alignment languages" you could use to communicate with others of your alignment regardless of species, as I recall.

That isn't that weird when actual gods, angels, demons, etc exist. Less weird than every race having one language exactly plus "common". Everything about stock fantasy races is weird tbf, that's like babby's first tabletop politics.

You could make something interesting about common. It reminds of independent Indonesia choosing malay as the national language. It was a local trading lingua franca almost no one used as their first language, so you avoid the bad look of using dutch without elevating one ethnic language like javanese. A chaotic good linguist's choice. Common is usually like "elf derived, language of the good guy human kingdom" type poo poo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I deep dived the haitian créole wiki and it makes more sense than real french spelling. Occasionally have to read it phonetically to get a word but murdering all the slavers, banning white people, and fixing french is a big resume for a nation so abused.

citybeatnik posted:

But in the loving end I just want to roll dice and hit things with my PC, not go through some deep philosophical debate about whether you're making the world a better place by your actions.

Depends on the game and group really, but DnD murderhobos is still the easiest/default

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Has anyone else noticed a culture war among tabletop game shops?

Like, as a kid, we assumed that every store would be smelly, gate keeping comic book guys with no interest in inviting anyone else in, equal parts ogling and insulting women especially to the point where we gave up on all the local stores and got all our rpg poo poo from Barnes and Noble.

Nowadays tons of stores are hard against that, and then occasionally you'll walk in and find That Store again. And I get flashbacks to being 14 and having some goonlord quiz me on lore while I looked at Warhammer boxes we couldn't afford. At least at the official GW the overbearing weirdo just wants me to buy everything I glance at.

Almost as if we hit geek social fallacy peak. Now you either live and die by "accept everyone, except assholes" or "accept only assholes." Like closest to our apartment rn there's a gooncave store and a store with a trans pride flag in the window by the MtG posters.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MadDogMike posted:

Eh, given how real gentry acted, I don't know that the southern planters were that "fake". Both sure believed in their souls that everybody who wasn't them didn't count as "real people", and earning a living was for those sorts.

A lot of them actually did have noble titles before 1783, they intermarried, they held all the wealth, land, and political power. They all knew each other. They meticulously tracked their ancestry. They owned estates. They trafficked human beings. Hell let's see what wiki has to say about Robert E Lee's wife:

quote:

Mary Anna Randolph Lee was descended from southern colonial families, including those of Parke Custis, Fitzhugh, Dandrige, Randolph, Rolfe, and Gerard. Through her paternal grandmother, Eleanor Calvert, she descended from Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore, making her a descendant of Charles II of England and Scotland. Through her mother, Mary Lee Fitzhugh Custis, she was a descendant of William Fitzhugh.

Mary Anna Custis Lee was the only surviving child of George Washington Parke Custis and Mary Lee Fitzhugh Custis, daughter of William Fitzhugh and Ann Bolling Randolph Fitzhugh...

This is actual nobility. My takeaway is less that they were fake and more that aristocracy sucks rear end regardless of whether they get to keep their fancy hat and list of titles. Stop having slaves and we can talk, Mary.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If we're talking Warmachine politics, we can't really leave out the page 5 rule of "THIS GAME AIN'T NO SOFTY GAME FOR BABIES, THIS GAME IS FOR BIG-BALLED NERDS AND SOLID PEWTER ROBOTS ONLY."

The lore was fun, the game was fun, but the community was toxic even compared to the most ardent fan of the Adeptus Astartes. And as expected, the plastic space men took back the most popular tabletop wargame title after about five minutes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Halloween Jack posted:

So...they suck? There's a Faction in a wargame whose Thing is just being poo poo at war?

Eh, to be fair I was playing an all-goblin Warhammer Fantasy army at the same time. Sometimes, being total poo poo is fun.

More politically, Flames of War at that time was basically written full-Manstein. If you wanted to play soviets, you had to field a full battalion of 3 times as many men as the other nations. With equivalently high monetary cost in toys. All your stuff ranged from "reluctant conscript" to at the very best "confident trained." All the soviet lists were generic "a rifle unit." "a tank unit." etc. Meanwhile the germans had different unique lists for every loving SS division. You had to be uniquely, historically bad to get a rating less than "fearless veteran" on an SS german or a finn. Never mind that the soviets only outnumbered the germans in Barbarossa when you're only counting front-line germans, but count every rear end in a top hat on guard duty in Magadan for the soviets. Never mind that the SS regularly sent fanatic kids charging directly onto Red Army machine guns. Please forget that Battlefront was pumping out dice, carrying cases, etc with the death's head, sieg runes, swastikas, and all the poo poo on them. You want to be 1. SS-Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler? We got your dice. Your SS are 5. Wiking? Don't worry, we have the merch for both the flemish and scandinavian regiments. Don't get me started on the guys who would roll up to the LGS with an SS army and the full regalia. Every bit of SS got unique special rules on top of the standard german supersoldier rules. RKKA special rules just crippled you. Enjoy having your tanks drive up in a big stupid box because they can't do anything without being an inch from each other!

That was a time. I can't be convinced it wasn't a political choice.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've hung out with a lot of russian mobsters, socially not for crimes.

They were pretty chill, tbh. They loved Cataan. Bizarre, but I guess if you've got twenty grand in five currencies stashed in your mattress you don't need to antagonize randoms.

They'd basically ask my now-wife if I was good and then just be chill and offer loads of free drinks over board games. God bless the russian mob.

e: also chess and the ASOIAF board game were loving big.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 24, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, what do you consider "genocide" in a civ game or civ-like? You never have to declare war or conquer opponents in order to win unless you've decided to play on an extremely high difficulty level where it's the only way to stop the massive resource advantages the computer opponents get. I play plenty of Civ 5 and 6 games where I've never even been part of a war, let alone doing 'war crimes'.

But if you assume that the vast empty space around your civilization at the start of the game contains indigenous civilizations you're assimilating and conquering when you lay down a new city, then potentially there's an argument that inherent play of the game is genocide, though then I'd argue you're stretching the use of the term 'genocide' to include things such as Rome uniting the Italian penninsula and replacing Etruscan culture, or the Greek city states replacing Mycenean Greece.

Well yes, « uniting » a geographic area full of disparate cultures, assimilating, killing, and enslaving the locals, with your homeland and culture as top of the hierarchy? Yes, Rome did loads of genocide and we only don’t think of that due to distance. Gauls didn’t choose to all speak latin one day.

What’s the saying, Rome leaves a ruin and calls it peace?

I’d argue indeed all these historically-tuned strategy games encourage a way of thinking that can lead down bad paths. I mean one of my most played series of all times is EU, which has long been pushing to expand gameplay in places besides Europe but still has a mechanic where colonization is easier by walking into an « empty » province and hitting « attack natives » until the button is greyed out.

E: we sympathize with the romans because they left written records.

Imagine if in addition of the sack of Rome by Brennus, you got the cisalpine gallic side of « poo poo this Brennus guy beat the guys raiding our country gave him back what he got »

Imagine De Bellum Gallicum but you’re writing as a gaul who somehow survived the war and Julius Caesar is the only person who gets to record your entire history into the text.

First things first, you don’t call yourself a gaul, you just live in the territory of Galli, no one needs unifying, you’ve never heard of a belgicus, the demon Caesar he’s calling you blood drinking head hunting barbarians when the only thing you ever did was try to live your life happily until the romani showed up and burned your home

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 8, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
War on Terror was the one that came with the evil balaclava.

When I was in high school we played that a lot and when skipping school my best friend would do a hilarious gimmick of yelling Pictures with Doctor Evil?? Fotos con Señor Mala?? and I’d hold a Polaroid camera until the employees of Walgreens kicked us off their property and told us we don’t gotta go to school but we can’t stay here

The Walgreens customers who liked fun would sometimes actually give us two dollars

The game is fun but the EVIL balaclava is a precious treasure

In gameplay there wasn’t a terrorist player, iirc, everyone was a state actor and occasionally one became the terrorist. There were also included notepads because part of it was writing unofficial notes swearing deals that you show to some or all of the players, or not show, at any time. The notepads weren’t in the rules it was just encouraged.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dwarves are ashkenazim. My dude JRR Tolkien literally wrote in his letters "the dwarves are jews. I based their language on hebrew. They love gold and hiding away from regular society, because they are the jews."