Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Big problem for 5e was the open playtesting process... there was a lot more interesting stuff but groups complained that the martial characters were now too complicated (all marital characters had battle master maneuvers by default, instead of one type of fighter) or that sorcerers didn't work just like wizards (They only had spell points and became more like their origin as they spent them for the day)

A lot of the neat things were dropped to be more like an OSR type game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Slightly unrelated, it's been a long time since I've paid any attention to Shadowrun, I'm curious to see what they're doing with that nowadays. Back when I played in 4th edition, I remember paragraphs about Ork culture that pretty much turned directly to the reader and said "Hey, Orks are what white people think Latinos and Black people are like, do you get it?" In retrospect, it wasn't great.

It is slowly getting better. Sixth edition got rid of attribute penalties and attribute minimums for the different races. They are toning down some of the worst clumsy metaphor for racism examples. Worked in the 90s abut is kind of embarrassing now. Thankfully it was never as bad as Bright, although that show probably stopped any adaption of Shadowrun happening in live action for a while.