Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Magnetic North posted:

So, weird tangent but: I hated basically every inch of Snowcrash and I would call that book style-over-substance. In your seemingly informed opinion: is something like Neuromancer still worth reading if I reacted so negatively so something everyone seems to like?

i quit snowcrash after a few pages because it sucked rear end, but neuromancer is still readable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Killer robot posted:

That's part of the secret of classic cyberpunk. It's a mix of "things that were already there in the 80s," "things so visibly right around the corner in the 1980s that anyone with a Newsweek or Popular Science subscription was reading about them on the regular," "noir tropes going back to the 1940s," "things they got fantastically wrong like jacking in at pay phones or the Soviet Union lasting longer than the US," and just a dash of eerily prescient future prediction. But every sci-fi genre is like that.

yeah, cyberpunk games don't need to be updated to modern day computer tech or whatever, they work the best if you make them 80s as balls

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Haystack posted:

My perpetual hot take is that it's fine to buy RPGs just for the sake of reading them. Normal, even.

i have no sources for it, but my take is that this is the main market these days

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Terada is one of my favourite illustrators--above Amano for me. I must have first seen it in old issues of Nintendo Power. Now his style recalls my favourite D&D artists from that era, like Clyde Caldwell. Hell, I wish my tabletop books from the 90s had art as consistently good as the stuff he did for Nintendo Power.

Oddly enough, when Pool of Radiance was ported to the NES, it had little doggie kobolds. At some point between late AD&D2e and 3e they were cemented as little reptile guys and that stuck.

pool of radiance and other gold boxes were 1st ed ad&d

kobolds became draconic in the 3rd ed, but they had never really been dogs in d&d, they just sounded like small dogs in the earlier editions

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

disposablewords posted:

Kobolds are outright still little dog (or at least mammalian) people in AD&D 2e, it was a noteworthy change that Wizards made them lizardy and tied to dragons in 3rd Edition. Japanese nerd-media dog kobolds are most different in that they're often depicted as big dudes almost like dog gnolls instead of dog goblins.

2nd ed monster manual doesn't say if they are mammals or reptiles, but it does state that they lay eggs

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

PeterWeller posted:

Tolkien never gave his elves pointy ears.

tolkien's elves had pointier ears than humans or hobbits, and hobbits had pointier ears than humans

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

and since were on the subject, balrogs didn't have wings

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

fine i'll take the bait

pg. 430 of the Fellowship of the Ring

you didn't quote the full description, those were shadows, not real wings:

The Balrog reached the bridge. Gandalf stood in the middle of the span, leaning on the staff in his left hand, but in his other hand Glamdring gleamed, cold and white. His enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings. It raised the whip, and the thongs whined and cracked. Fire came from its nostrils. But Gandalf stood firm.

‘You cannot pass,’ he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. ‘I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.’

The Balrog made no answer. The fire in it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. It stepped forward slowly on to the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall; but still Gandalf could be seen, glimmering in the gloom; he seemed small, and altogether alone: grey and bent, like a wizened tree before the onset of a storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

LashLightning posted:

Er, loads? They were practically foot-soldiers at the start, if I understand right. I don't think it goes against Tolkein's shtick that people were just built different back in the days the Elves and Humans first laid siege to Angmar, and that a couple elves or so could totally go toe-to-toe with a Durin's Bane-style Balrog.

their numbers changed during the years and wasn't set down permanently, it was kinda like orcs' origins

are orcs soulless beasts serving the dark lord, or are they descendants of tortured elves? if they are from elves, do they then have elf souls, free will and afterlife?