Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

this is loving everything i wanted, there's so much more than i even anticipated

vampires using mormon proxy baptism genealogical recordkeeping to cronenburg monster the entire world? anyone thinking it's a good idea to write roma getting a free stealing poo poo pass from jesus christ to explain their weird pseudocultural pastiche of gypsy thief folk? oh my lord i love it

there's so much ridiculous poo poo these goth kids got up to in their products that i quiver with anticipation of hearing how they handle vodou. because of course they aren't going to leave vodoun alone. i can't wait to find where to read about White Wolf's Basement Nerds giving us their fantastic new take on grand mèt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh you better believe there's Vodou! First off, within Vampire itself there's the Samedi, a Bloodline of vampires who all look like decomposing corpses with a special Necrosis-based Discipline. Their Founder, and the closest thing they have to a leader, is only known as The Baron. Then there's the Serpents of the Light, an offset of the Setites who instead follow their own Voudoun religion and also are members of the Sabbat. Then later-on they introduce a bunch of Blood Magic not limited to clans and of course Vodou Blood Magic and Vodou Necromancy are part of the deal.

In Mage: the Ascension there's also some Voudou magic, and in Wraith: the Oblivion there's Les Invisibles which is the afterlife for believers in Voudou and Santeria and other similar faiths. Cause Wraith is at least partly about the dead making up their own afterlives based on their living religions and then the subsequent Dark Kingdoms fighting each other for control over the Soul Supply.

Edit: For those who don't know, the Setites are a clan of evil Egyptian cultist vampires who worship the god Set but are mostly just James Earl Jones from Conan.

[claps hands] absolutely perfect, sounds like it's spooky creepy black people death magic hex curse poo poo hazily informed by the most fantastical pop culture stereotypes about vodou. i could ask for nothing more appropriate for 90's tabletop franchises

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

You can't really talk about the politics of Kindred of the East because they're bad and pretty racist. It's like a combination of Fu Manchu and some guy on Twitter talking about how you can't bad mouth anime because the Yakuza will kill you because they control the industry. It also combines and mutilates multiple Asian languages in ways that no one probably has before.

i don't understand why we wouldn't dish on this as powerfully as possible

creepyass orientalism and asian stereotyping is actually what keeps the pc game Bloodlines from being something i can conscientiously call a timeless gem. oh no, it's got some time on it. the whole chinatown part and its depiction of eastern cultures aged like milk and dogs the game's legacy

fun to hear about why this was what it was, too, just dissecting these writers

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Toph Bei Fong posted:

a crossover adventure starring the villainous Samuel Haight, a kinfolk skindancer/ghoul who also has a magic pumpkin branch (The Staff of the World Tree) that gives him mage powers, who is coming to Mexico City to gain the blood of a extremely powerful vampire (who he believes to be a Antediluvian, but is really "only" the 4th generation methuselah Huitzilopochtli, a Baali who has been in torpor under Mexico City ever since the heroic Lasombra travelling with the conquistadors freed the Aztecs from his rule (Yes, the conquistadors are welcomed heroes believed by the natives to be Quetzalcoatl, liberating the Aztecs from their evil "god" in this setting), and who is using Samuel Haight to cause chaos in the heralding of his awakening and planning to sacrifice the 400 residents of Paraíso Vista to Baal.

now get this recorded in a movie trailer IN A WORLD voice