Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Reconciling old world of darkness lore is a doomed enterprise, but since Demon: The Fallen was intentionally written as a tie-in (and its cosmology is a lot closer to V:TM canon than the other major settings) I think it's pretty relevant here.

fool of sound posted:

Demon the Fallen (which is the same world) is pretty explicitly young-earth creationist, but I don't think it lands on the 6kish year number, since it makes references to neolithic humans, which only barely fall into that.
Ehhh... I think that's giving short shrift to the cosmology. The creation story given in that one is that before the fall, reality itself was much more multifaceted, with the universe working under a much more flexible ontological framework. Humans could simultaneously be the product of millions of years of evolution on a planet formed billions of years after the big bang, and the product of the biblical seven days creation story taken literally, without contradiction. When God got pissed about the fall, he broke up reality itself and now things can only exist in one way at a time, but things used to be different. The first night after the gift of knowledge lasted both one night and a thousand years.

It always struck me as a neat bit of slight of hand to mitigate the problem of building from a particular part of one faith's creation myth.

CommieGIR posted:

Does VtM accept the Evangelical method of dating the earth via the Bible? That was basically made up on the fly by adding all the begats in the book of Genesis.

I think at least some of the third generation of vampires (antediluvians, because they predate the biblical flood), and thus Cain himself are canonically older than six thousand years, which would rule that out.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Well, you can’t really expect children to paint their action figures before fighting pretend battles like the adults do.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I'm only going on the Mage second ed corebook and some novels I read a long way back, so I sure can't speak to the setting as a whole. But if I was supposed to read that corebook as the capitalists versus the plucky morally ambiguous underdogs then I have the same problem with it that I do new Shadowrun: insofar as it's critiquing capitalism, the critique isn't great. The story presented is that material conditions are bad because a shadowy cabal of people at the top holding power have consciously decided to make/leave it that way, not because of a systemic issue. It's explicit in the book that their goals were good, but the people at the top got greedy (helped along by the actual objectively evil wizards) and gave up on them. And so,

Ferrinus posted:

It's important to understand, though, that as a literary element the Technocracy isn't an illuminati conspiracy that likes really-existing capitalism and so works behind the scenes to protect really-existing capitalism. It is capitalism, or rather a metaphorical stand-in for it. It does the stuff capitalism does, it has problems akin to capitalism's, it has a history akin to capitalism's, etc.

this would be the part where I don't follow. I mean, the text quite pointedly says that their current goals are (1) control of everything, and (2) equality, even if it means cutting down those at the top. It then specifically describes their ideals as a warped form of communism, with the contradiction being that elites have to be there to impose that equality, drawing a comparison to the Soviet Union.

The much more natural read of it to me is as a libertarian-ish spin on evil manipulative big government, with the bad guys being a pastiche of different flavors of The Man. If there's stuff in other books where they demonstrate systemic contradictions analogous to capitalism, hey, cool, I don't know a lot about the setting. But I don't think it's fair to say I "failed the test" the book puts before me if I read the side it calls communists to be something other than a representation of capitalism.

e: if this is a "the author actually made a point way different from their apparent intent" kinda take, okay, but I didn't read you to be making that argument.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 30, 2021