Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I think Spirit Island is a good example of how you could do an anti-colonialist game. Take narratively winning off the table, and if you must include a competitive aspect make it about surviving as long as possible against an interminable enemy.

You can see hints of it in the design; I wonder if the nature spirits theme was because power fantasy sells and :capitalism:

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm fascinated by lancer and backed it, but i've never run a game

one reason is that i'm in the stage of my life where it's very hard to have everyone carve out the time to play any rpg, the other is that i've always been a bit unsure how much buy-in i'll get on the premise

has anyone ever run it with apolitcal or non-leftist folks in the mix?

The leftist themes of Lancer are fairly ignorable unless you draw attention to them. The titular Lancers (trained mech pilots) are a diverse bunch; a bunch of noble house mechs suppressing a slave uprising is as in-universe as a Union liberation task force.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 1, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

The other wrinkle with NHPs is that the first batch was somehow instigated by RA breaking our conception of physics over its knee when it absconded witH Deimos; and there are multiple NHP branches which do things seemingly incompatible with Union's conception of space-time (not just HORUS but definitely HORUS). There is a very real concern that an unshackled NHP might decide that the Pauli Exclusion Principle is a fake idea and collapse a planet.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 4, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Randalor posted:

Oh okay, I missed the part about NHPs being extra-dimensional organisms, and was thinking of them as super-advanced AI. The closest analogies I could think of were SHODAN from System Shock and GLADOS, and both actually fit the shackled/unshackled descriptions fairly well except for the "Oh, and can also warp reality to their whims" (SHODAN could in SS2, but still needed an outside object to do that).

It's non-intuitive because the extra-dimensional nature of NHPs is introduced as a lampshade of the fact super-AIs in fiction are not processor/memory limited, and then they just run with it.

The average citizen of Union thinks of NHPs as super-AIs; their potential to be extradimensional horrors is highly classified information.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 6, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Shreknet you might have thinking of The Book of Erotic Fantasy? It came out near the tail end of the 3.5 days and became a lightning rod for criticism, both out of concern it would cause another moral panic and because make-believe BDSM raises some pretty thorny consent issues. (It was published by White Wolf's d20 imprint)

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 6, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Some of it's a holdover from D&D's wargaming roots where a wizard was supposed to be a glass cannon artillery piece. You could still sort of see it in follower mechanics: Fighters, paladins, etc. got followers because as a UNIT they'd be comparable to a high-level wizard casting stuff like fireball

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

moths posted:

The Western World afterlife in Wraith is run by the Hierarchy, who are capitalists from hell. Soul forging is a thing, wherein a person's eternal soul is commodified into an object. If you listen closely to the money, you can hear its moans.

It's one of the most woosh things in any setting, and people generally assume the setting is racist because non-western cultures' after-lives are managed differently.

But it's not "African people's souls work differently," it's "not even death is relief from Capital."

90s WW shouldn't get much benefit of the doubt on whether something was racist

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm curious, how does Nurgle's "niceness" manifest itself? Like, I always see him described as a loving God in a way that Khorne never is, so I get the general idea.

Nurgle wants his subjects alive and thriving in the same way that successful viruses keep their hosts alive long enough to spread

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Lancer would benefit from a separation between the mech-lines themselves and the corpro-states so you can have your Harrison armory mech without feeling like you are tacitly endorsing fascism or a HORUS mech without your GM feeling obligated to make you jump through hoops because in-universe the blueprints are dark web bullshit. Like, maybe say the mech-lines were designed by the factions but they're so utterly wide-spread that you can grab knock-offs easily.

As far as great man theory, I don't think Lancer as whole subscribes to it but the Trade Baronies (a neo-fuedal society) do and there's a decent amount of content from their perspective. The other great movers and shakers are literal paracausal gods and super-AIs

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Acute Grill posted:

Harrison even exclusively makes big military humanoid mechas. They're not being subtle about it.

This is an extremely weird thing to lay at Harrison's feet in a game about giant punchy robots.

Yes, they do. Everyone does. That's the game.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I really hope they have a pronunciation guide for this

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I'm not sure how one could read the first chapter of Snow crash and think "Yes, this is a 100% serious book."

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

TheCenturion posted:

Collecting RPGs, reading RPGs, and playing RPGs are three distinct and unconnected hobbies.

Look, I don't have World of Synnibarr, Kult, Violence & WoD: Gypsies because I want to run them

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 20, 2022

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

It's loving wild how many professional-looking products there were back in the day that had clearly not gotten any real play-testing

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have bad news about 90% of the professional-looking products today.

True, but with easier, better digital publishing tools and platforms like itch or dtrpg it's possible to put out a product that looks good all by your lonesome.

Like, World of Synnibar has an editor, proofreaders, a graphic design artist, a publisher. Someone should have been able to say, "This manuscript is hot garbage that makes my eyes slide off it like textual Teflon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

ohhh, you been delvin' too deep, yah? That'll getcha