Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

well if anyone was gonna make this thread it was gonna be me! :drac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC-OjR62D40

quote:

"Psychos? They look like psychos to you? Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how crazy they are!"

In 1991 Mark Rein•Hagen (yes the hyphen is stylized that way, yes it is stupid), the son of a Lutheran minister in suburban Atlanta, unleashed Vampire: the Masquerade on the world - a rip-roaring, blood-soaked and sensual gothic superhero RPG based on not just playing a vampire, but playing a vampire to the hilt.

His one great conceit was to take the Vampire monomyth and break it down into its component elements, and let each aspect have center stage as the defining characteristic of the many Vampire clans comprising the secret society of Vampires.

For instance, you want Nosferatu-style disgusting monsters like Count Orlok? Namesake clan. Anne Rice-style romantic tragedies? Toreador. Shapeshifting, feral Draculas? Gangrel. And so on for each of the clans...

The many, many clans (once the game was a hit and they realized they needed to sell more splatbooks to remain solvent as a company)

The big thing that made V:tM a giant hit among gamers (and later the world - see the opening credits for the weekly TV drama the game got) was the deep and absolutely compelling lore. The oft-repeated joke over in TradGames is that White Wolf was a company that made bathroom readers with an RPG stapled to them.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Agents are GO! posted:

I've said for a while that the position of V:tM lore is that young-earth creationist fundamentalist christianity is right.

Staluigi posted:

now there's some spicy political revelation i am entirely down for dissecting

on the one hand, this seems like exactly the sort of thing i should encourage to be taken to a dedicated thread

on the other hand, it should perhaps be exposed to the largest audience possible

here is my compromise: make the effort thread and i will pin it

To wit, regarding the lore: in the world of Vampire, all vampires are descended from Cain (from the Bible), who was the first vampire. This means that the bible is literally correct and accurate, which means Vampires are (as stated) definitionally young-earth creationists, as noted. However, there's also the Setites, who reject this lore and insist they are descended from the Egytian god Set.

This is just one of many contradictions in the lore that is partly intentional to create inter- and intra-group drama and conflict, and partly accidental because we are dealing with a few goth kids from Atlanta playing with worlds and histories they were not equipped at the time to explore (do not read about the Ravnos, they are a big :yikes: through and through)

I'm not sure whether this thread is best served by meta-dissecting the various clans' stances and overarcing actions in how they would react or move on current events or to talk about the horribly mangled understanding of history and religion, and how that's reflected in the writing.

If you haven't read it, TG Goon Halloween Jack's FATAL & Friends writeup of the system and its history is pretty exceptional snarking on the subject of the game from a game-design and cultural viewpoint.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Longform writing about clans and lore and stuff goes here later

I'll kick off with a "think this through" situation. The Ventrue clan are the "Underlords of the Boardroom," the high-power vampires most mimicked in the Blade movies. Slick suits, capitalists to the bone and arrogant to the point of self-parody. They style themselves the "Clan of Kings" and assume that ruling over not just humanity but the assortment of Kindred society as their literal birthright.
If something happens to shift the balance of power in the mortal world, global supply lines seizing or governments being toppled, it would be clan malpractice for the Ventrue not to at least claim responsibility, if only to present that they are far more powerful than they are. Stability and continuance of power is the thing Ventrue (profess to) want more than anything else. So what do the texts say about World War II, a hugely destabilizing event that led to the firebombing of vast swaths of Europe - a place many Vampires lived at the time! - and the development of unthinkable weapons?
Well, the Ventrue weren't paying attention that decade. That's it, that's the explanation in the White Wolf books for the Holocaust and the rest of World War II: Vampires exist on such a long, unthinkably boring timeline that the spasms that burn themselves out in less time than Michael Dorn has been playing Worf on Star Trek just don't come up.
Which means the Ventrue are both utterly clued in to every shifting grain in the desert vis-a-vis business and government, and also so disconnected that it's possible for clan leadership to literally be asleep at the wheel for a decade.

From Halloween Jack's writeup:

quote:

The Dystopia of Vampire is very much of the zeitgeist of the 1990s. It rages against what would come to be called the “end of history” after an essay (later a book) by Francis Fukuyama. It was the idea that the current political status quo was the ultimate form of government, and the future would just be a process of perfecting and managing it. You can criticize capitalism, consumerism, and the many injustices of the world all you want, but there are no better alternatives. (The second edition of Vampire was published just months after the Soviet Union finally dissolved.)

It’s a status quo predicted in works like They Live and Watchmen, and treated more literally in films such as The Matrix and Children of Men. And the 90s gave us a lot of art in which transgression and antisocial violence attained a sort-of folk-heroic status--for example, any movie with Quentin Tarantino or Gregg Araki’s name attached to it. Those artists moved on to other things, and so did Vampire in its later iterations.

Quite a tangent, I know, but my point is that Vampire’s setting is an expressionistic one. The unstated theme is a society decaying while, paradoxically, being locked in a kind of stasis. It’s not incoherent for depicting a society so decrepit that the United States ought to have collapsed into a Third World hellhole already--that it does not do so is the point.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 28, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm not up on my Bible timelines but where does Cain fall when considering Methuselah, Noah, etc? Are they also vampires that happened to die, did they go into hiding, or are they just absent from the lore?
Cain slew Abel and was cast out to the East. Cursed as the first murderer, he became a vampire with the help of Lilith, here cast as a witch and temptress granting him power. The general vibe is that Cain slaying Abel is one of the first things to ever happen, assuming Genesis chronologically precedes the rest of the OT, and so Cain was rampaging across the world even back then. There's a bunch of bullshit about how he created generations of younger vampires, each weaker and more genetically distinct than himself, until the 6th generation or so when the Clans as we'd recognize them in modern times would be established.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Basically, how deep did they attempt to go with this, how closely did they stick to other parts of the Biblical myths (with vampires stapled on) or is it a thin veneer because they couldn't come up with anything better?
so for funsies, there's an in-universe recounting of the exact history of how this all works, called The Book of Nod. This book's knowledge is absolutely forbidden kill-on-sight anyone who professes to have it and there are whole sects who espouse its contents (such as they've telephone-gamed their way into posessing) as Noddists. It's all very dumb, but the core conceit is that the events of the OT are 100% real and literal, happened in that order, and that the bible's authors just didn't mention Vampires as the alpha predators preying on man.

But then, as I said, there are Setites who can trace their lineage to Ancient Egypt, predating Biblical times by millenia, as well as Ravnos and other Indo-China vampires, to say nothing of the Kindred of the East who also have a culture predating Abrahamic faiths. It's all very reverse-engineered from "we wrote the core book as nominally-Christian Americans and then realized other cultures exist" while having the very convenient excuse of "every culture has its own creation myths, vampires are no different"

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 28, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So to loop this around to actual politics and keep it from getting banished back to TG, Vampire culture is really weird sometimes.

See, the thing about Vampires, is that they do not live in a democracy. Not even in a "hah hah, you vote but the monsters at the top are always in charge" situation like we do IRL, but actual no-poo poo territorial lordships. You exist at the pleasure of the regional Prince, and while there are a few laws that are inviolate (only one law, really), everything else is at the whim of whoever is strong enough to hold that space, full stop.

When it gets really interesting is with the introduction of the Harpy, though. See, if you're an immortal, ancient and superpowered being, stripping someone of their wealth or privilege doesn't really work, especially if they weren't particularly powerful to begin with. So the only thing you have to really enforce vampires being a society instead of a bunch of slavering blood-drinking monsters is the power of reputation.

So every city has a Harpy, a gossipmonger and collector of information on the activities and accolades of the city's kindred. And she is the only one with the power to name the Prince Gauche or Ignorant, and that name will travel with the Prince to his conclaves with the other regional Princes, or across years and years. It's a frightening amount of power, but it's something we see IRL now with :foxnews: and (sigh) cancel culture - that naming and shaming and applying a title ("Tiller the Baby-Killer") is the only way to truly sully someone once they are of a certain age and power, since you can't really jail or fine someone who is immortal and able to skip town when there's no Marshal's service to bring them back.

A Harpy's tongue-lashing in an Elysium can be enough to send a Kindred into a blind fury, as the Beast that guides their inner monster goes on the attack, and more than one Harpy has done just that, enraging a Kindred on sacred ground and goading them to commit an actual sin worthy of their expulsion from the Domain.

Oh, and Harpys exist outside the power structure of the Prince, so he can't just dismiss her. She's just a permanent gadfly.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 29, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm amenable to it but there's probably a ton of overlap with the TG industry thread in terms of "oh no! The creator of this thing I like is a horrible person!"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gulping Again posted:

It's worth noting that we have not yet truly entered the poo poo dimension when it comes to either incarnation of the World of Darkness.

I know this because nobody has posted word one about Beast: The Primordial, the worst WoD splat ever made by anyone.
To shut this down before It goes anywhere, the concept of Beast was playing boogeyman like Freddy Kreuger or Candyman. Unfortunately, the main writer decided to go all-in on "here's how you power your abilities by molesting children" instead of the more sensible "here's how you power your abilities by scaring people with spooky stuff, not by molesting children what the gently caress gary?!"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There's a reason I play Vampire and don't loving touch Mage.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Magic is a tabletop card game

https://twitter.com/TeaFeck/status/1421925450742444035?s=19

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up Secret Hitler. I'll assume it's part of the fascist misdirection.

The less said about Max Temkin, credibly-accused rapist and maker of the game that says "it's ok to laugh at racist/homophobic/transphobic jokes since the cards said it, not you (the person who played the cards)," the better.

Secret Hitler is actually a really fun and well-made deduction game, which they then decided to ruin with the absolute worst-thought-out theme ever.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

so because 1992 was a long time ago, there was a clan called the Malkavians. their clan flaw was "madness," which led to the 'fishmalk' trope (guy so off his nut he would carry around a raw fish and slap people with it)

in V5 (due out this year) they added this, explaining how Malks should be played (tl;dr: loving respectfully)
https://twitter.com/AlisonCybe/status/1441138597063639050?s=19

lol and then WW cut this whole section and it won't appear in the book

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

My favorite clan is Malkavian, and I've always thought that this Fishmalk stuff is stupid and not funny at all.

Some people take the ball and run with it to some stupid places.
a lot of people do chargen with malks backwards. with most concepts, you start with a want, and work to a gimmick (I want MONEY so I will be a GANGSTER VAMPIRE -> Giovanni, I want MAGIC so I will be a WIZARD VAMPIRE -> Tremere) Fishmalks do it backwards, starting with whatever quirky poo poo that's only had 9 diagnoses ever they found in the DSM, and going "and that's why I'm Malkavian!"

if you start with the want first, the clan usually falls into place.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Toph Bei Fong posted:

TSR released the Open Game License (OGL). This allowed other publishers and creators to release products, within defined limits, using the D&D framework but not bound by the company’s IP restrictions. While it eventually became just another revenue extraction stream for Hasbro, the OGL pointed out a direction that could have freed the entire TTRPG hobby from capital’s clutches.
At the risk of treading into Edition Warrior bullshit, anyone who actually cares about products on shelves or FLGS can tell you the OGL was an utter disaster. If you squint at it right, it seems like the right play ("let people pump out our splatbooks for us while capturing more people in the d20 ecosystem, in which we are the dominant game") but the reality was a combination of horrifically bad quality control (the "Book of Vile Deeds," a splat all about raping your way through D&D can market itself as "an official d20 product compatible with D&D!"), market confusion (why are there 25 different books on how to run a Zombie game? which one is the good one?) and the total breakdown of the ability of FLGS to successfully separate wheat from chaff while keeping shelves stocked with the good books when even a few 'misses' putting bad stuff on the shelves that will never sell will tank a mom & pop operating at a FLGS's margins.
Oh, and it also caused Pathfinder, which split the market at the next edition jump and caused a sizable chunk of their market to continue using the OGL and - it needs be reminded - the entire D&D platform as its own Shi'a/Sunni split of the church of D&D.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

it's also interesting because if you think about it, in our world gods operate on faith.
but in D&D, there's no faith required because Pelor or Gruumsh or Garl Glittergold are literally dudes you can just go visit.
so like, how do churches even operate? you gotta be a lot more transactional in your operations when your followers can just go worship a different God down the street if the Raven Queen doesn't sufficiently increase harvest yields

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cobalt-60 posted:

Insatiable greed for gold shows up in Norse mythology.
insatiable greed for gold also shows up IRL hth

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

You're taking a Wikipedia summary of a bad translation of an entire loving religion as evidence and it's really hosed up.
welcome to the OOCC experience! :psyduck:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shadowrun made a dragon president then blew him up in his limo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

jokes on you all, I only buy games I am interested in running and are good

no bathroom readers on my shelf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There's a bunch of philosophical choices being made at every level when writing an RPG, because it all started as a wargaming simulation and those games were all about simulating all the minutiae down to Italian units using more water because they had to boil their pasta (not a joke)

Some designers wanted to keep that cruft instead of ditching it where it belongs (in computer games that could calculate all that in the background) and it leads to some interesting choices by players with system mastery who will optimize every encounter to have the fewest variables possible.

It's one of the reasons I love FIASCO! and other GM-less games that don't have combat rules at all and are more explicit about being shared-narrative storytelling over adversarial objective-overcoming.