Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shard posted:

I think the Christian match happens before the PPV and they still go with Hangman. Another reason this loss is different for Hangman - all his big hangups were loses he just lost legit. Jericho, FTR, Omega in the finals. They were just better than him. Tonight was he got hosed over by the uber cheaters.
See, I think this is the wrong takeaway. The revelation of Page's character arc should be "its ok to lose." Not "its ok to lose if the other guy cheated so its not really a fair loss." But "its ok to lose against someone who just beat you." Failure is ok. Its in the intro. But Page has never picked himself up after a loss and dusted himself off. The last time he lost he said "you cheated, fight me fair" and won. To me this is the moment. Page didn't get cheated and he didn't get screwed.. well beyond the usual. He agreed to the match and knew the players and their tactics and the odds went against him. He knew what he was doing, or should have. He's probably angry and he's probably disappointed so when people ask "what's next?" that's a question for him,

He shouldn't get drunk. He shouldn't push his friends away. He should call himself a loser. He should say "I lost, its ok, I'll be back and I'll learn from this." And that will probably enrage Omega and maybe turn the tables on his manipulations so he gives Page a title shot. Or Page will win an eliminator tourney or something to get another shot. But the story was always that Page couldn't handle failure. So now he's failed, and when he handles it he'll have completed his hero's journey and beat Omega for the title. Not because he needs a victory to feel good about himself, but just because he was the better man that day.

Personally, I'm actually more hyped for Page right now than I've ever been. I think he looked great in that match and I'm excited to see his character overcome this. Its what I've been waiting for.

edit: And personally I HATE the booking of one guy beating the world and tag champs 3 on 1. That's very John Cena. So I love that Page took everything they have twice, pinned one of them, drat near got it down to 1 on 1, and just ended up succumbing to 3 of the best wrestlers in the company and a weapon. He looked like a million bucks to me without half of the company's champions having to lose for it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm less convinced that Page's title run is derailed than I am that P&P's loss means all the theorizing that they'd win the belts in Queens probably isn't true. That's a bummer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pylons posted:

I don't think this is gonna be Santana and Ortiz & FTR's only match between now and All Out.

Yeah, perhaps. And the injury might have shortened that match. Its just a case of i wasn't really buying into the imminence of Santana and Ortiz's title win but I was kind of expecting a win there. So the loss surprised me and leaves me unconvinced its a sure thing. But I guess if you go by the "home town" theory maybe they get their win back in NY.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

And he needs to have his teammates accept and uplift him in defeat, not reject him as he feared the Elite would. Losing side by side with The Dark Order and having them love him all the more for it is an important step on the road.

But the even more important step is him not responding to a big loss by getting drunk and despondent. The Dark Order will be there to help him but its not their story, its Page's, and his problem has always been that he lacks the confidence in himself to accept that a big loss doesn't make him a loser.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I definitely think Page/Jackson would be a great step for his story. You could have Matt rub it in Page's face that he lost, Page boast that he pinned him, lots of back and forth. Have Jackson throw it in Page's face that he screwed them while they were trying to hold the Elite together. Have Page own his mistakes and say he's learned to move on instead of wallowing in it and point out that the Bucks have basically regressed and gone back to their old cheating ways where they're willing to do anything for fear of losing. Page says he almost slipped to that place but he came out stronger.

I'd get really behind that in terms of really fleshing out Page's journey to be about himself instead of his friends.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People who care deeply about something have big reactions to it. I personally like the decision and think there's lots of great room for stuff with Page here that still keeps him on track to beat Kenny. But I also came at it as someone who felt like his story wasn't complete. For people who did feel his story was complete they're upset and worried that things might have gotten delayed. That's understandable and reasonable. So let people voice their thoughts and vent their concerns. I don't get why this place is s resistant to that and prefers to just insult people and act above it all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm really feeling this whole "Bray as Hardy's accountant" idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it sounds like they're gonna have Alexander go Option C with the X title and take on Kenny. And he seems like the best bet in the company to take the belt back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The idea that AEW and WWE are a different "genre" seems really weird. WWE is still wrestling. Its just bad. A TV show doesn't stop being what it is just because its lazy and derivative. Its just a bad tv show.

And yes, bad tv shows have fans. Many because they've just been watching it forever and they don't want to let go.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't see where Andrade/Lucha Bros goes if not a Lucha Bros heel turn. It makes sense to me. I dig Death Triangle but they're never really been able to get out of first gear between shutdowns and injuries. They're just in this spot where they can be counted on for a great match fill in but they don't really have their own stuff. So a heel turn for thee Lucha Bros could give them a fresh spark and maybe propel them to go against Santana and Ortiz if they do win the tag belts as some anticipate. And it gives something for Pac to be angry about and have a bunch of great matches in a kind of cool mirror of Kingston's run.

The alternative is Andrade getting some other team but I dunno know who, I'm not itching for more bodies filling spots, and generic trios matches feels overly simplistic to me as character/feud directions. So I'm kinda pulling for the heel turn.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Caster's a lovely edgelord but he's been a lovely edgelord all along and they had these "jokes" for a week even if they weren't pre-approved and the reality of constantly pushing the line is that you inevitably push it too far. So really, I hate the gimmick and his raps but its on AEW as much as him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zimbomonkey posted:

I feel like "Julia is okay with it" might be a stretch because unless she's literally coming up with those jokes herself she has to either accept it or risk being viewed as a killjoy/gimmick killer by the acclaimed. Kind of a lose lose for her.

That's just my opinion.

Yeah, the whole idea that a 19 year old female rookie unquestionably has the confidence, voice, and opportunity to speak up IF she's bothered (by an act that is a project of the owner) seems like a leap. It would also be a leap to assume she's offended and too afraid to say anything. I don't think we have any real insight into her feelings on the matter so she really shouldn't be used as a weapon for either side of the argument.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dango Bango posted:

Is any of this even gaining traction or becoming a thing outside of this thread/subforum?

At the very least it got enough pushback for them to edit it out of the show, at least according to some. I have not checked to confirm that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wanna echo the poster who pointed out that its remarkable that this rap was so layered with poo poo edgy poo poo that the weird rear end covid conspiracy joke or whatever that was isn't even registering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Drakkel posted:

My only issue would be isn't that just kinda retreading what the LB were doing with Eddie Kingston while PAC was gone?

I think its different since they didn't turn on Eddie, not really. Eddie made everything happen then. Lucha Bros have more agency if they turn on Pac and come off like bigger heels. And that could propel them up the tag division and give Pac a lot of righteous fire for a solo run.

But it all comes down to where it goes after.