Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

smarxist posted:

i honestly have no idea. based on what Kenny stipulated while accepting the 5v5, he can't challenge Kenny for the world title anymore, it seems pretty cut and dry and I'm not sure how they book around it

I don't think it's "anymore", I think it's "Hangman would've gotten the next title shot and now he doesn't"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

He's gonna do a lionsault but it won't count because it isn't a top rope move.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

PWInsider reporting Cash got a "really bad cut" not a break.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1420572285442969600

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Crapple! posted:

That one's going in the dumpster. I was already annoyed after the first match and then when Cash got injured it cast a pall over the entire show the way Matt Hardy's fall at All Out last year did. The main event also sucked and no, it wasn't the violence. I've enjoyed all the unsanctioned matches AEW has put on so far. It was a bunch of torture spots and jericho doing a rana on Gage through a pane of glass. Also Gage looks stiff as a board and can't do much of anything. None of the other matches stood out either. There was one women's match on the card and they put Julia Hart in it who has been wrestling for 5 minutes. Also Tanahashi is challenging Lance.....but it's not going to be on Dynamite? Why even have him send a video in? I think this might be a fakeout or something and we'll see him in AEW at some point

lol

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Kinda weird for MJF to make it a big deal that Jericho needs to hit a move off the top rope next when he literally just hit a rana off the top rope minutes beforehand.

He's gotta pin them with it too. He didn't pin either Gage or Spears with the top rope rana.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/stu_dos/status/1420555389540700163

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm assuming they'll have more matches than this, probably a rubber match at All Out.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think it's pretty likely Lance Storm is gonna be the last labor.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The extra spotlight. :(

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tweak posted:

I watched the opening again (and again, and again) and Excaliber just says, "...Hangman Page must step aside from the top 5" so he should just take a page from a certain DMD and do some Dark & Elevation matches over the next month

If he wrestles on every live show from now until All Out he might have a credible enough record to challenge the person in line in a #1 contender's match.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1420623695727431685

Maaaaaan.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lamuella posted:

I'll be honest, "AEW have a show in Chicago" isn't... actually that big news? Maybe I'm missing something.

The show is at United Center, which is basically twice the capacity of the building they're using for the actual PPV. Something big is happening there, and the obvious guess is CM Punk.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

One little thing I noticed (and read from trip reports) is how much utter despair there is in the building when Kenny has someone up for the OWA.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

I have a theory for the Labors of Jericho. If you look at Jericho's history, it seems like there's a career-spanning logic to it. Jericho's been primarily in WWE, WCW, ECW, NJPW, and AEW. His styles have spanned through North American sports-entertainment (sorry, for lack of a better term), hardcore, technical, and high-flying.

#1: Fellow Canadian, former WWE guy, North American-style stip match.
#2: Hardcore brawler from the closest thing we have to ECW nowadays.
#3: High flying stipulation against a former WCW rival.
#5: MJF, an AEW talent in what I assume is going to be a standard match, or maybe put his career on the line.

The promotion that's missing in Jericho's history is NJPW, and the wrestling style that's missing is technical/submission.

Bring on #4, Zack Sabre Jr. in a submissions-only match.

I think you're on the right track but Gage was his Painmaker/NJPW match.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Cody being about to cut one of his promos about society before getting his head kicked off by Malakai was one of the funniest loving things I've seen from him on TV. Just peak youtube Cody.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Astro7x posted:

https://www.ticketmaster.com/aew-rampage-chicago-illinois-08-20-2021/event/04005AF0C3EE2205

So how do I get presale codes to this event? Rampage First Dance starts tomorrow

I missed the All Out presale and it was a poo poo show trying to get tickets.

PWTees just emailed them out.

Code: PWTUC

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That was a weird Dynamite. The Dark Order / Hangman intro package and their entrance were some of the coolest poo poo I've ever seen, and when Hangman walked out in the Dark Order colours I legit teared up a bit.

The Elite doing their dumb Space Jam poo poo? Also great.

The match was also good, if a bit long, but the ending. It didn't feel like "ooh, those rascally Elites, how will the good guys ever beat them", it felt... deflating. At least on the TV there was no booing or anything, the crowd were just stunned to silence. I'd be a bit worried about that if I were the booker because it sure didn't feel like the crowd stepping their anticipation of the Elite's downfall to a whole other level.

Obviously I think they'll still continue the program and Hangman will get his revenge somehow, but RIGHT NOW this still feels like a huge misstep. Maybe in retrospect it won't be, but right now? With the Dark Order and Hangman coming in so loving hot only to get literally dunked on... I dunno. I guess we'll see where they go from there.

A lot of good stuff elsewhere in the show. Brian Cage murdering the brass band and doing the cartoon bit with the drum and the drummer was awesome, Darby Allin subtext is for cowardsing a match with CM Punk? Also great. Big pops for Thunder Rosa, great heel heat for MJF, the main event had some amazing spots but also felt a bit off as a match. Of course the FTR match was derailed by that horrible injury, but even the IWGP title match felt stuck in first gear until it just ended.

Super weird night.

For what it's worth, I think "stunned silence" is absolutely what Kenny goes for because the OWA isn't a move that he hits and you boo him for it, it's a move that has this horrible feeling of inevitability because nobody kicks out of it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dacap posted:

It would be really funny if the fourth labor is just Nick Gage again

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1420567402991865858

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

NutShellBill posted:

Juventud Guerrera: Was a top 3 flier in the world... 22 years ago. Now at age 46, he's kind of a punchline of wasted potential. Legit chance he no-shows or starts a fight backstage. Never really advanced beyond the Cruiserweight/Tag scene in his prime, his major beef with Jericho would have stemmed from almost a quarter century ago, and he was absolutely obliterated by the Rock, who pronounced him as a complete after-thought in perpetuity, as he became SOME JABRONI NAMED JUVENTUD?!?

I'm so confused why anyone would knowingly pick him, even in kayfabe.

I guess Jericho has to fall on him, to win? That might make it hard?

MJF didn't even know who Juventud was before Jericho mentioned him so he probably would not know anything about The Rock or his overall career. Jericho has to WIN with a top rope move which means no Liontamer (unless he's gonna do it on the top rope), no Judas Effect, no Lionsault.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1420842043300065285

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shard posted:

Can I just say - Kenny is looking in amazing shape. Like he looked like a beast last night.

He hit some of the cleanest V-triggers I've seen him hit in AEW.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/stlanarchy/status/1420856783720132613

I really can't get over how cool this all is. A positive relationship with the indies.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1420876908166852608

Nick Gage in a loving press release from WarnerMedia.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/MMcCarthyREV/status/1420882314108841988?s=20

lmao

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/pabstblueribbon/status/1420884456018169858?s=21

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1420965062232190976

People were definitely deflated by that ending, but if you're gonna do it, that was the right time to do it, I think.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

WON ratings for Dynamite:

Dark Order vs. The Elite: 4.5

Gage vs. Jericho: Meltzer said he hated it but really it's 4 'or even more'

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I still think it's probably gonna be Hangman and they're working the dirtsheets, that said, I wouldn't hate Kenny vs. Eddie at All Out.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/WrestleTix/status/1421132090385567751

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I'm less convinced that Page's title run is derailed than I am that P&P's loss means all the theorizing that they'd win the belts in Queens probably isn't true. That's a bummer.

I don't think this is gonna be Santana and Ortiz & FTR's only match between now and All Out.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So, assuming it isn't Kenny because he isn't getting in a world title feud right away (and Hangman ideally has the belt by this point), who does Punk eat his first loss to?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

But there's nothing to personal overcome any more.

He can suffer a setback if there's some sort of narrative development to come from it but the arc that was set up over the past 18 months is complete.

The Hardy storyline got him more over because it existed to establish his presence with the Dark Order, in service of this point in the story.

Page is not going to be more over than he is now absent storytelling witchcraft. There is plenty of chance if he doddles around in midcard hell whilst Kenny is running around wrestling Bryan Danielson that he'll be less over.

Hangman's whole issue has been with the Bucks from the start. He needs to beat them (or at the very least, Matt Jackson) first, and that's what they hinted at by having him pin him in the 10-man.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

He needs to pin Matt... which they hinted at by having him... pin... Matt?

In the middle of an elimination match, not in a one-on-one match. It's like when someone pins the champ in a tag match or a tournament.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

We don't know who's just outside of the top 5 either.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mox is apparently promising something wild for the Cincinatti show. Are they gonna get Onita?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

This is a feud you can stretch out but NOT put on the back burner though! Page is going to be spinning his wheels while Omega fights Christan or from a more wild card main eventer like Kingston. I mean I'd like the later and if ANYONE could make a quick, but great build towards it: it would be him, but not when the result would be so obvious.

Ask yourself this: if this doesn't resolve or at least continue at All Out, who does Hangman wrestle with that doesn't make look like he ceded to the Elite or is sulking? How do you get both of them good matches with heat behind them at All Out? What are the big matches at All Out outside of the MJF/Jericho one?

Punk vs. Darby

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

A talking coyote posted:

Unless Matt pulls double duty that would mean no tag title defense at All Out and the tag titles are spinning their wheels enough as it is.

I think an FTR vs. Santana and Ortiz match would be an acceptable replacement with enough stakes. Especially if Santana and Ortiz are being built up to take the titles off of the Bucks.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 31, 2021

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't know why people are assuming FTR vs. Santana and Ortiz was a one-and-done.

https://twitter.com/Santana_Proud/status/1421145229797859330

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Crapple! posted:

They obviously didn't get to do the match they wanted to do, so I would be shocked if they didn't run it back. They should really have PnP win the next one though.

I've been assuming they're gonna have a match at All Out which is 2/3 falls and that's always been the plan.