Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

KungFu Grip posted:

Dark on Dynamite and Elevation on Rampage or vice versa is what i feel like aew might do, hopefully they dont just extending the dark and elevation tapings too much

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tony Kahn talked about this in an interview. Rampage tapings will take place in Dark's current spot of before Dynamite, pushing Dark tapings to an undetermined time and place. Thinking about it, that probably means something like Impact where they record a months worth of matches over one or two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Critical posted:

nick gage stabbed chris jericho in the head with a light tube on television

Repeatedly!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

GrimGypsy posted:

it's kind of incredible that AEW casually but explicitly said they have CM Punk and he's showing up in a month and that's not even the main thing everyone is talking about

Punk discourse was pumped dry last week. Until he actually shows up and starts doing stuff there's not much left to say.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

Just watched the show. Putting Gage in the fuckin main event was a Tony Khan idea, right

So he sez
Q: How did this Chris Jericho-Nick Gage no-rules match come together?

A: I was working on it with Max (MJF) before Chris, the Five Labours of Jericho and I thought Nick Gage would be an excellent Labour of Jericho and a great opponent for Chris, very different from the first opponent (Shawn Spears).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

This was the first episode of Dynamite that my 65 year old mother has ever watched. My dad roped her into watching it. She texted me at the end.

"Wow. Crazy is all I can say. I'll watch next week too."

Mums love a good deathmatch.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

For what it’s worth, Cash cut his arm pretty seriously so they had to skip straight to the finish, which I assume wasn’t planned to be Ortiz is pinned by a brain buster while Santana watches calmly from the floor.

In the game day thread, we were talking about a compound fracture that had broken through the skin. Doesn't seem entirely impossible, given how Cash rushes around out there.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It would rule to see Jordynne in AEW. Hell, I wouldn't even mind seeing more Jordyn.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

Please let there be a pre-sale for the United Center, I have a meeting at the time tickets go on sale. Thanks.

theres a pre-sale, according to Dave. Friday the pre-sale, monday general release. he seems to think it may be a bit hubristic.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Akileese posted:

The lack of spooky dust was very noticeable but it was till a cool visual. Our eyes went wide when then the glass pane came out.

I'd be really curious to see the breakdown of the main event rating. Doing a Texas death match and a toned down for TV GCW death match in back to back weeks is something that really appeals to me, but I respect that it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

if the number turns out to have gone down, it will be the final proof that wheeler yuta is a draw.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Disco Inferno, coming for vengeance for Jericho burying him for 25 years.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Astro7x posted:

https://www.ticketmaster.com/aew-rampage-chicago-illinois-08-20-2021/event/04005AF0C3EE2205

So how do I get presale codes to this event? Rampage First Dance starts tomorrow

I missed the All Out presale and it was a poo poo show trying to get tickets.

Dave Meltzer normally tweets it out, probably the other notable hacks do too

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

blunt posted:

Would very much like to see Team Angle.

That would rule. He's pretty much a mirror of Taz, being a compelling, funny, tough guy with a cache of respect but can never ever take a bump again. Though I am speaking from not having seen anything from him for two decades or so.

jesus WEP posted:

”pfft, he just comes across as *describes something insanely cool*”

I don't think it was dismissive, but using New Jack as a byword for an actual genuine criminal who just assaults people while near a wrestling ring. Which I don't think is fair to Nick Gage.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Stu seemed to land like, three feet beyond the huddle, I'm not sure what they could have done.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The Stroker Ace posted:

I don’t like anime. I do not care for it.

write that down on a sign and buy a ticket, my friend.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Such is my faith in AEW that I trust this match will be at least OK, even though my only exposure to Juventud is Bryan and Vinny talking through old WCW shows and saying "well this match wasn't very good either".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Drakkel posted:

Similar to how after Eddie Kingston's first appearance on Dynamite, WWE called him up and wanted to give him a job as a trainer.

I believe the story is that they'd always wanted to have him as a trainer, but absolutely no chance as an on-screen talent. After his Dynamite appearance, he got offered a job as a wrestler.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Marvez is just the greatest.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I would enjoy seeing MJF get hit with a bundle of lIghttubes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I believe it was suspected or inferred. Sad news, dude rules.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, agree completely. He had a couple matches that totally blew me away and then a few matches where he looked kind of sloppy. I think he has the potential to be a huge star in the future, but getting some experience in a higher-tier role elsewhere seems like a plus for him all around.

I think the sloppier matches were after coming back from a longish hiatus after catching covid. Those aside I thought he was pretty consistent.
I agree with the general consensus that it's not a crushing blow for him nor AEW, but it's bad news for me as I enjoyed his wrestling and there's no way I'm figuring out whatever a MLW is.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

There's a few Elevation matches announced, which I don't think have been posted.
Rosario Grillo & Hunter Knott v. Aaron Solo & Nick Comorato (he is billed as solo on the graphic, I thought that was a joke)
Ashley D'Amboise v. Stat (with OC, CT, and WY)
Dani Jordyn v. Yuka Sakazaki
Lee Johnson v. Marcus Kross (the guy with Goku hair)
Red Velvet v. Angelica Risk
And main event Bear Bronson v. Darby Allin

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder what their contract statuses are. Kofi seems like a lifer but i wonder about E.

I do not think a WWE lifer exists anymore. I wouldn't be too shocked if they released the miz.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Lamuella posted:

This sounds superb. And Darius is back with him!

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1421936272004640768

I hope Eddie chops Dante so hard Dante does a backflip. It's the 100th Dark, have some fun with it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

explosivo posted:

I don't think you'd get much of an argument from anyone here, Blade looks like a murderer and has been great lately and Bunny really does seem to have the whole gimmick firing on all cylinders now.

"I don't hink you'd get much of an argument from anyone here" is a hell of a thing to say about any opinion, especially this week.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

People talk about roster bloat but there must be room for a little one.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Give Robo a raise!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Here's [maybe just part of] the card for Dark tomorrow:

Shawn Dean & Fuego del Sol v. Sean Spears & Wardlow
Kenzie Paige v. Tay Conti
The Wingmen (PPA on the side) v. Orange, Chuckie, and Wheeler
Chaos Project v. Lucha Bros.
Mandi Maxx v. Hikaru Shida
Diamanté v. Leyla Hirsch
Dante Martin v. Eddie Kingston
Varsity Blonds & the Sydal Brothers v. Matt Hardy, the Blade, & The Acclaimed
Reka Tehaka v. Penelope Ford
Jack Evans v. PAC

Jack's back! and he's against PAC!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Somehow I had forgotten the venue was in Chicago. For some reason I was getting it confused with the New York one, which is also selling out.

Makes more sense.

You got confused because Bryan is debuting in the New York show (maybe)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

King Bahamut posted:

You know that Twitter thread where some guy was pointing out to Lance Storm that indy style isn’t even that dangerous except for the period where every guy was trying to copy and outdo Strong Style? That’s kinda what I associate Punk with, or at least that’s the impression I got from having Punk-Joe recommended ages ago and being bored at 2 guys just whaling on each other for 30 minutes

Was that some guy AEW wrestler Jack Evans, or has this happened to Lance more than once?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Lamuella posted:

New Nightmare Factory showcase. https://youtu.be/T6ceQ6G-KBA

I'm probably going to save this for thursday, but judging from the first ten minutes the female commentator is so so bad. It sounds like her recording failed and she had to go through and re-do all of her lines.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Alaois posted:

its Brooke Havok, the girl from the first Showcase who tore her ACL in like, her second match on Dark

My apologies to Brooke, along with renewed wishes for her full recovery.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

hooman posted:

I don't really get the Gallows hate, he's by no means a superstar but he seems to fulfill his big mean looking guy role pretty well.

I admit I've only seen his work on dynamite, and haven't seen him in any singles matches, but he seems to do his work just fine to me?

He had a singles match against Kaz last Fyter Fest night 2 and his work wasn't... great. But I must admit, he is big, and does look mean.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fuego did an AMA on reddit

Highlights include his favourite match being the one on Dark versus QT, Cody still lies about people because it's funny, and he (used to?) makes 2 grand a month off a backyarder trampoline youtube channel.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Alaois posted:

thats not the boogie man that's the guy from the weird-rear end Private Party skits from the early pandemic BTEs

Excalibur would know who he is. Nobody else does.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Unless they can pop the roof open and it's an outdoor stadium again.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I believe the logo being slippy was a story from WCW when they had just painted it on, but I guess AEW might have stumbled on that trick too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

We're not AEW people. We just post about it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Nobody working for AEW has ever even heard of WWE

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Max making a 9/11 joke would be the way he wins back everyone's hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Is Brit Baker debuting her new heavy today, and is it Adam Cole?