Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
[Tanahashi makes a challenge on Dynamite, Moxley cuts a promo on Tanahashi for ducking him, NJPW announces Tanahashi is coming to the US] Hmm, perhaps by some chance Tanahashi will wrestle on AEW programming one day....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

StarkRavingMad posted:

Britt said she’s bringing in someone else to watch her back. Guesses on this? Kling Kling call up? Legit Leyla joins Team DMD? A way to reintroduce Emi Sakura as not goofy mustache woman?

…the return of Britt’s good friend, the cutest in the world?

Iconics debut, the dawn of the lady faction era

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would say the main problem with booking Hangman to lose that match is that they are going to have a really hard time coming up with anything as cool as that intro when it comes time to actually pull the trigger on him

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't think Hangman's in danger of cooling off if you don't pull the trigger; I just don't think there's a better championship story to get the audience invested in in time for All Out.

The lone exception I can think of would be Darby, but every other conceivable contender would feel too much like filler to justify putting a white-hot babyface on the backburner one month before the PPV

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MJeff posted:

Christian Cage and Orange Cassidy can both be heated up very quickly.

OC headlined the last PPV and Christian has been embroiled in the same midcard feud for two months (and I don't think he's ever really gotten a super hot reception from the fans since his debut, although my personal opinion might be influencing my outlook there). I don't doubt that you could produce an enjoyable angle with either one of them, but I imagine it's going to feel slight no matter what after giving the audience a lengthy taste of the biggest feud you could put together right now.

Pylons posted:

If he wrestles on every live show from now until All Out he might have a credible enough record to challenge the person in line in a #1 contender's match.

Yeah, I was wondering how adding Rampage to the mix would affect the cadence of the PPV build. Instead of having five shows before all out, you've got nine, and I had the same thought about just letting Hangman take on legit opponents on every single show to crawl back up to No. 1. Basically, the babyface version of Britt farming wins on Dark/Elevation

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Cavauro posted:

how come ppl think hangman can't challenge for the belt? he lost a match where if he won he had a title shot and if he lost he would lose the title shot. it doesn't mean he can't get one

I think the question is whether he'll still challenge for the belt at All Out or if he'll have to wait slightly longer to get back up to the top, or maybe even longer than that. Other people might think the thing you said though, in which case, sorry for not answering your question

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm going to steal Cavauro's thing and say the babyface professional wrestler should not have a storyline where the moral is "It's OK to lose." Seems like "I don't need to doubt myself, because I'm a strong rear end kicking guy with friends" would connect with an audience better than "The outcome of my matches is unimportant. We're all just having a good time out here"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If you were given the prompt "Come up with six words Cody Rhodes has to say at the beginning of a promo before he suddenly gets kicked in the face," I think that "So much happening in our world..." might literally be the best possible answer. A beautiful perfect moment

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The best alternative to Hangman at All Out is simply hotshotting Bryan Danielson to a title shot

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hangman cooling off is not a concern to me, but I do think pushing the Omega match off runs the risk of 1) other championship matches/stories feeling underwhelming 2) The Elite's heel dominance shifting into "alright this is getting old" territory

That being said, I can't imagine changing direction on something this big without an alternate story or long-term payoff that you're pretty dang confident in. Unless signing Bryan/Punk has Tony on Booking Tilt and he's gone mad with power

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

MRT brought up Tyler Black. That was a multi-year title hunt that was left too late and it was only a couple of months between Final Battle and 8th anniversary. It did irreparable damage to Tyler's reign as champion. I hope I'm wrong but the crowd is never going to be hotter than this.

If they don't pull the trigger on Hangman now they run the real risk of him becoming very bad at Twitter

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
You think you want to see the resolution to the good story fans are into that's been building for 18+ months? You fool. You absolutely worked buffoon. You actually want to see that story pushed off for an indefinite amount of time so a 47 year old midcarder can have four weeks of build to a borderline **** match. It's simple storytelling

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Jungle Boy vs. Christian in a No. 1 contender's match
Jungle Boy wins; Christian turns heel and beats JB down afterwards, rendering him unable to compete for the title
Darby is too focused on Punk to challenge Kenny
Kenny pulls rank on Orange to deny him the shot, says he's already had his chance

Kenny Omega vs. Colten Gunn headlines All Out

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
When you've been building a long-term story between a massively over fiery babyface and an incredibly popular heel champ, you pounce on the opportunity to make that title match the main event of your PPV, which is why Thunder Rosa-Britt Baker should headline All Out

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

HidaO-Win posted:

Let's assume both Punk and Bryan are coming in.

Let's assume Punk debuts on the August 20th Rampage show in Chicago
We know AEW Double or Nothing is on September 5th in Chicago
Let's assume Bryan Danielson debuts on September 22 in Arthur Ashe in New York.

Those are two shows in huge venues, so having something huge happen at them seems likely.

With that in mind, given you are bringing in two of the biggest wrestling stars of the last 10 years, when RAW had a viewership in 4-5 million range, it is possible that some of those 2-3 million lapsed fans might check out this new promotion.

Given that, does it make sense to delay the coronation of your new babyface headliner in Hangman Adam Page and give these fresh viewers a chance to get to know him first, get behind him and then appreciate the significance of the title changing from him to Kenny?

I think this is a fair defense of pushing it off

Now just come up with a better All Out opponent than Christian (or a drat good angle for him)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It would be lame but very easy to just straightforwardly say "We don't think it's good that our competitor has people legitimately cutting themselves and using ungimmicked weapons on a regular basis," and you could probably get people to bite on that being kind of weird to put on TV

Instead they ran a clandestine operation trying to tsk tsk the very funny juxtaposition of a pizza cutter spot and an actual pizza commercial, and they managed to only get it planted in a poorly written article on a weird website nobody's heard of, making it easy for multiple people to immediately connect the dots. In this moment, I am very glad WWE works in the bizarre way that it does

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"I'm putting the big mallet down. It kills"
"The mallet kills?"
"Yeah, it actually does kill! It's quite heavy, Tony!"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bray's debut episode in AEW is just two hours of Excalibur reading his new character's lore bible as Bray walks to the ring incredibly slowly

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

KiLynn-Julia tag team, duh

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I am willing to broker a compromise where Doc Gallows appears on AEW television regularly, but the only time he's in the ring is to do his getting-tumbled-over-the-ropes spot during a brawl. Otherwise he can stick to what he's best at, which is miming smoking weed and wearing and discussing danglies

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Other than the Dark Order intro, Karl Anderson's 2012 jersey might have been my highlight of the 10-man match last episode

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Page being held off the PPV could make sense for the "do the coronation after you've brought in Punk/Danielson eyeballs" theory, too. Get the new guy hype out of the way and then let the crowd go crazy when you resume the Hangman-Omega story, establishing for new viewers that this dude is a big deal.

Bonus points if you can come up with a good storyline reason to write him off TV for a few weeks, let him get a God pop when he comes back

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The reason is that she sucked major rear end

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I can't believe they BUILT to the serious reveal of Japanese Death Match Legend Luther as the final piece of an already-very-shaky storyline.

I have to give the Nightmare Collective this: It was so bad that it was the first thing to make Tony realize he needed to do some active quality control of storylines, so ultimately it was for the best

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Sick Malakai promo -> Sick Miro promo is pretty good concise vindication that everyone was right about all the obvious high potential guys in WWE

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

smarxist posted:

so the only real mention of the Nightmare Family younguns was that Cody doesn't have their best interest in mind but he does, i wonder who will join the spooky pervert? (Brock, it'll be Brock)

Envisioning Brock as a Goth Bobby Hill to Arn's Hank

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

"What's the next big AEW story after Hangman vs. Omega?" people wondered

The answer: 2.0 vs. The Wingmen

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah I would hope Max's heel raps about his coworker are precleared and I dunno why one would assume they weren't

The other poo poo is like, in poor taste but not really offensive to me? It's bad and I would tell him to knock if off but I also will not think about it ever again in my life

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The bad guy characters need to punch up

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The rap was somehow so bad that the line about COVID tests being fake, which based on five seconds of Googling appears to based on what appears to be social media misinformation, isn't even medaling in the list of things people are mad about. Which is kind of impressive when you think about it

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

your friend wicka posted:

As long as I live I honestly don't think I will ever get over this post

I mean all of the TV coverage I've seen about it has focused on mental health generally and the twisties specifically, I don't see what's weird about that post. The American Olympic broadcast has perhaps unsurprisingly not been eager to pursue a possible link to the famous monster who was involved with USA Gymnastics and abused its biggest star

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Zombie Lemur posted:

Hopefully we only get nice, wholesome jokes about Patrick Kane beating up a cabdriver and not the um..other Patrick Kane stuff.

Sensitivity training taught me a bad joke hurts
Tony's keeping me off TV like his name's Bill Wirtz

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Melzter just reported that Shahid Khan Venmoed someone $300 that Tony needed to sign CM Punk and now the Chicago show is canceled. It will be interesting to see how AEW recovers from this

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Eat My Fuc posted:

Caster’s post sensitivity training gimmick should be the Shockmaster, yes he’s a master of shocking you and being problematic but he’s learned now to harness that power, instead of rape joking you into bewilderment he will make you so afraid of what he might say that’s shocking. Years on he comes to the ring ranting about how the empire was right and the jedi are hypocrites and he trips and falls, his entire head rolling off his body like the last 1/4th of eraserhead.

MJeff calls it a masterpiece, all of us are long gone having died in the Nestle Vs. Lockheed Martin war. The forums are silent, but wrestlecrap posts a scathing critique of the segment, which was co written by Vince McMahon and Tony Khan who are married.

I can't believe this is what they put off Hangman-Omega to do

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think it was about a woman's vagina being stinky

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
In my fantasy the fourth labor would Jericho vs. Sammy, career vs. career match. Sammy wins, bam, surprise Jericho retirement, MJF gets extra heat, Sammy becomes an even more intense babyface. The actual end to this story ends up being Sammy triumphantly getting his win back over MJF. (I guess if Jericho "doesn't want to quit his job yet," you could also do a fun dumb "Sammy fights to get Jericho reinstated" stip)

I think it'd probably be too hard to nail the particulars of that story, though, so my second choice is for the fourth labor to be a Wardlow steel cage match. Set up a running bit where MJF repeatedly forces people to go through a series of challenges for him, and he always falls back on "Wardlow cage match" as his silver bullet despite it never actually working

(You could also do the Jericho-Storm match as career vs. career, force Jericho to retire his friend to give an old-timers match some gravitas)

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 4, 2021

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I was fully prepared for Malakai Black to be the sort of wrestling bullshit I roll my eyes at, and I’m incredibly excited to learn he’s actually the kind of wrestling bullshit I love. Big fan of the Road To video package, could listen to endless segments of him saying meaningless stuff like “I’m all your sins personified” without ever getting any deeper into his Lore than that. I love the dumb decision to have all his scenes be in black-and-white while all Cody’s are in color. I even love his dumb black eye smudge. And most importantly I love that everything he does has been punctuated with a heavy dose of violence

Good wrestler imo

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Just looking at the special match graphic is making me happy. The special boy needs an elemental Good v. Evil image to sell this fight he’s been building for four weeks. And hell, who am I to tell him he’s wrong

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Seams posted:

tommy end was speaking with walter white's voice in that clip

Eddie Kingston said “I acquit”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

luchadornado posted:

I keep reading Everrise as Ivelisse and getting thoroughly confused.

Women’s vets RULE!