Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well I may have to sit with my thoughts on this one for a while, but I was left feeling pretty cold honestly. My disappointment over the pig having died is kinda visceral, but it's also a movie about a pig where you get like a minute of pig footage. And honestly by the end of the story, I understand that he used to be friendly with Darius but I literally could not accept that he just trusted the dude straight up in that moment without demanding some proof or something.

As far as Edgar's place being silly, I felt like they were getting pretty in your face about this being more of an Orpheus's journey into the underworld situation rather than going for any kind of gritty realism, so I accepted it at the time. Then it turned out the fancy restaurant was called Eurydice and I laughed. Given that they seem to be really drawing attention to that, his immediate unquestioning acceptance of the pig's death almost seems like an intentional twist on the Orpheus story. Whereas Orpheus can't help but distrust Hades, looking back for Eurydice and dooming her, Robin just goes "oh I can't get her back? welp ok" and leaves.

It's kind of hilarious that Adam Arkin has a big role in this considering that in Northern Exposure his character is a famous chef who had a breakdown and decided to go live in the woods.

Right now just kind of stuck on little details, but I definitely had trouble putting together what the movie was trying to say beyond just general big feels about "moving on from the past" or "accepting the present" or whatever.

Martman fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU