Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Ah excellent, a newsletter thread. Will be following this a lot. I run a monthly one for my books, it can definitely be improved.

For the record I have 200 and a bit newsletter readers through mail chimp gained purely through the site StoryOrigin. The numbers grow and shrink over time as people opt in or out but in a nutshell:

Created a Sci fi/cyberpunk trilogy and up on kdp it went.
Then created a 17k novella reader magnet, leading into the first book. A kind of 'what happened before the grand adventure kicked off.' This too is for sale on Amazon or you can get it free if you opt into the newsletter.
Free newsletter sub or 99 cents, you can guess which gets more attention.

Each month I do promotions with other authors on SO, plugging either their promos (collections of books on sale or found in kdp for example) where they plug my stuff and vice versa. There's also newsletter swaps where you can point to each others reader magnets. Everybody gets clicks, sometimes people even buy stuff hooray!

THINGS I'VE LEARNT ALONG THE WAY

-According to the limited (read: free) stats through Mail chimp my audience is largely 65+. I'm far from that age bracket and I didn't think cyberpunk style books would hold that much appeal to those 60 plus but that's what the numbers say. Maybe they've got more time for newsletters?

--My open rate ranges around the 50% mark on a good day. Click rate around 13%. You will have many that sign up and never do anything for as long as they stay. Which may be just one campaign/newsletter.

-I lose a handful of numbers with every newsletter but gain more from the magnet across the month.

-Once in a blue moon someone will send you an email from something you mentioned in your newsletter. One wished me good luck for my interstate move which was nice.

-I don't make much money at all through this even on new releases. I take this as a lesson in improving covers, blurbs, communications etc.

Anyway that's me, I'm keen to read what everyone else here is up to and what's working (and what's not.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU