Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sailor Viy posted:

Planning to start my newsletter soon. Here's what I've learned about the different hosting platforms:

Substack
Pros:
- slick looking
- free, but takes 10% of your income from paid subscriptions. so a pretty good deal if you aren't planning to monetise it
- has comments, likes and other social features
Cons:
- kind of has a notoriety for platforming antivaxxers, transphobes, etc and has had some people demonstratively leave the platform in disgust
- no variety design-wise; every substack looks the same
- if your newsletter blows up and makes you tons of money, 10% is more expensive than a flat fee

Buttondown
Pros:
- cute minimalist design
- you can use CSS and HTML to style it how you want
Cons:
- no social features
- you need to have a basic knowledge of CSS and HTML
- $9 monthly fee

At the moment I'm torn between Buttondown and Substack. Substack would be cheaper, and it would be nice to have comments available. I don't know if it's wrong to, in some nebulous way, "support" a platform that platforms hate speech. I would prefer not to share a platform with Graham Linehan! But is it actually any different from posting on Twitter or Facebook?

Do you think monetizing a presence on twitter or facebook is morally neutral? How about Truth Social, Parler, or Gab?

Do you think publicly using a product in the way its intended is somehow not support?

What is the benefit of public comments on a newsletter?

Will the people you are targeting as readers be willing to use substack? (Rephrased, are you okay not having transgender people in your audience? Because that’s a likely outcome if not now whenever Substack edges further toward libertarian ideals.)

Maybe you’ve already decided, but it feels like you’re avoiding answering some questions for the sake of convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU