Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
been lolling a lot thinking about the tariq and worf connection & thinking about who i can share this joke with and realized i dont have any friends with the overlap of knowing who tariq is and star trek lore. sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 387 days!
King Flex teach these devils

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It is dishonorable to attack from behind

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The season two episode where riker does the exchange programme and serves on a Klingon ship and just immediately buck breaks all of them by being the best at all Klingon customs

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

gagh is a conspiracy introduced by romulans in order to weaken klingon chewing strength and make them more human

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
worf's son being in blackface the entire time was a bit of an odd choice

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

worf's grandfather became a lawyer instead of a warrior and now worf is in the federation doing cowboy holodeck sims with aleksander. the cycle is there for those with eyes to see it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's so funny when he meets his son whom he abandoned in DS9 and has an entire episode dedicated to him figuring out why his son hates him so much.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Jose posted:

worf's son being in blackface the entire time was a bit of an odd choice

i guess you could say he had..... hidden colors

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Dr. Umar Johnson is soliciting donations to open a school on DS9

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

vedek winn created cardassians as revenge against those who mocked her forehead size

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
tfw you realize Malcolm X (during his NOI days) was just a 1950s version of Tariq Nasheed.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Chuka Umana posted:

tfw you realize Malcolm X (during his NOI days) was just a 1950s version of Tariq Nasheed.

things a racist would say for 500 alex

or is creating a racist honeypot supposed to be the "joke"

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Animal-Mother posted:

lmao i just remembered worf wanted to kill himself because it's incredibly shameful for a klingon to be a cripple and picard was like "go for it"

riker was like :wtf: and picard was like "it's his culture" :shrug:

would require minimal editing to turn this into one of those buck breaking cartoons tariq was posting lol

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Unoriginal Name posted:

things a racist would say for 500 alex

or is creating a racist honeypot supposed to be the "joke"

Malcolm X was extremely socially conservative during his time in the Nation of Islam.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
malcom x was based as gently caress

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kit Walker posted:

Isn’t it widely accepted that Egypt had quite a diverse population and also that our modern notions of race don’t really apply to what life was like back then?

sort of. northern Egypt was very Mediterranean, which people tend to consider white nowadays. the Greek dynasties after Alexander rolled through would have been too. but southern Egypt had a lot more mixing with Nubia. the ancient kingdoms even had a dynasty from there at some point iirc.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
what is the swarth level ... basically ??

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Sahara's kind of a big natural barrier I'd imagine.

the sahara was green until not that long ago. there's cave art in the middle of what is now desert showing hippos and giraffes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saharan_rock_art

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

sort of. northern Egypt was very Mediterranean, which people tend to consider white nowadays. the Greek dynasties after Alexander rolled through would have been too. but southern Egypt had a lot more mixing with Nubia. the ancient kingdoms even had a dynasty from there at some point iirc.

just before alexander threw his weight around in the region, yes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's so funny when he meets his son whom he abandoned in DS9 and has an entire episode dedicated to him figuring out why his son hates him so much.

Also his son is basically Klingon O'Brien

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

Malcolm X was extremely socially conservative during his time in the Nation of Islam.

I don’t know more about Nasheed aside from occasionally dipping my toe in the online reactionary thread. But Malcolm X had an outlook that almost came close to looking kind of like class analysis if you squint at it hard enough.

Nasheed is just the black version of a 4chan :biotruths: guy.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

But Malcolm X had an outlook that almost came close to looking kind of like class analysis if you squint at it hard enough.

jesus christ

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

jar-jar binks is black and was buck broken by qai gon gin

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are we really going to poo poo on Malcom X. Jesus Christ.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

Malcolm X has an entire chapter In his book about how him breaking up with a girl made her a lesbian.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Chuka Umana posted:

do you think the reason people make fun of tariq is for being "socially conservative"?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
anyways please close thread

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

miniscule12 posted:

jar-jar binks is black and was buck broken by qai gon gin

Is the movies title supposed to be so homoerotic lol

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
where does worf helping quark bang a klingon lady fit on the bucking scale?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

miniscule12 posted:

jar-jar binks is black and was buck broken by watto, the happy merchant

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Rule of Acquisition #384: Never break your own bucks when you can break someone else's.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Malcom X is complicated

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/may/19/gayrights.usa

quote:

Malcolm X - gay black hero?
On Malcolm X's 80 birthday, Peter Tatchell reveals the hidden gay past of the American black nationalist leader

Peter Tatchell
@PT_Foundation
Wed 18 May 2005 19.01 EDT

Malcolm X was born 80 years ago today, on 19 May 1925. But amid the commemorations, controversy is brewing. Some black activists are enraged by suggestions that their hero might have been gay - or at least bisexual. The controversy has been stirring since the publication of Bruce Perry's acclaimed biography, Malcolm: The Life of a Man Who Changed Black America (Station Hill, New York) in 1991. Based on interviews with Malcolm's closest boyhood and adult friends, Perry suggests that the US black nationalist leader was not as robustly heterosexual as his Nation of Islam (NoI) colleagues have always insisted.

Malcolm X, real name Malcolm Little, joined the militant Muslim NoI in 1949, attracted by its teaching that Allah would deliver black people from white bondage. By the 1960s, Malcolm had developed NoI ideology in new directions, becoming America's leading spokesperson for black consciousness, pride and self-help. Sexual freedom was not, however, part of his agenda.

Yet Perry's book documents Malcolm X's many gay experiences. A schoolmate, Bob Bebee, recalls the day they stumbled on a local boy jerking off. Malcolm, Bebee recalled, ordered the youth to masturbate him, and subsequently boasted he had given him oral sex. Later, from the age of 20, Malcolm had sex with men for money - as hinted at in Spike Lee's 1992 biopic - and he had at least one sustained sexual liaison with a man. While living in Flint, Michigan, his roommate noticed that instead of sleeping in the room they were sharing, Malcolm sneaked down the hall to spend the night with a gay transvestite named Willie Mae.

In New York, two of Malcolm's friends from Michigan remember bumping into him at the YMCA, where Malcolm bragged he earned money servicing "queers". Later, Malcolm worked as a butler to a wealthy Boston bachelor, William Paul Lennon. According to Malcolm's sidekick Malcolm Jarvis, he was paid to sprinkle Lennon with talcum powder and bring him to orgasm. Perry suggests that Malcolm's gay encounters may not have been entirely financially motivated. His masculine insecurities and ambivalence towards women fit the archetype of a repressed gay man and point to latent homosexuality.

After the death of his father, when Malcolm was six, he lacked male role models and was dominated by strong women - in particular, his tyrannical mother. He feared women and his early sexual experiences with girls were mostly unsatisfactory. Far from macho, Malcolm hated fighting and got beaten by other men. His passionate assertion that the need to feel masculine is a man's "greatest urge" indicates someone doubtful of his own manliness.

As for his sporadic gay hustling, as Perry notes, "there were other ways he could have earned money". Dope-dealing, thieving and pimping were sources of income he had pursued with success. There was no imperative to sell his body. Why, then, did he prostitute himself? Misogyny and repressed homosexuality might be the answer. According to Perry: "His male-to-male encounters, which rendered it unnecessary for him to compete for women, afforded him an opportunity for sexual release without the attendant risk of dependence on women."

Was Malcolm X gay? Bisexual? In his schooldays, he was apparently a passive participant. Others masturbated or fellated him. Later, while working as a male prostitute, he took a more hands-on role in sex, especially with Lennon. This part-time whoring may have been pecuniary. There is, however, plentiful research suggesting that many guys who have sex with men for payment are in denial about their homosexuality. They tell themselves they are doing it for the money. This is their way of coping with same-sex desires that they are unable to accept. Was this Malcolm's excuse? Surely there must have been some degree of queer desire to enable Malcolm to sustain his sexual experiences with men over a period of 10 years? If this desire was within him from adolescence to early adulthood, could he have erased it completely in later life?

Sexuality is not like a newspaper - read today and discarded tomorrow. Established desires can be sublimated or repressed, but never eliminated. If people have a homosexual capacity, it stays with them for life - even if they never act on it. Was Malcolm an exception? There is no evidence that his same-sex dalliances continued once he joined the NoI; he married and had children, and, with all the fervour of a zealous convert, he embraced the NoI's fiercely puritanical Muslim sexual morality.

Had he not been assassinated in 1965, almost certainly at the hands of NoI rivals, Malcolm might have eventually, like Huey Newton of the Black Panthers, welcomed the gay liberation movement as part of the struggle for human emancipation. Instead, to serve its homophobic political agenda, for 50 years the NoI has suppressed knowledge of Malcolm's gay past.

Now it is time to blow the whistle. There is not a single world-famous black person who is openly gay. Young black lesbians and gays need role models. Who better than Malcolm X, one of the inspirations of my activism and one of the great modern heroes of black liberation?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

this thread is going in weird directions and buddy I am here for it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I don’t know more about Nasheed aside from occasionally dipping my toe in the online reactionary thread. But Malcolm X had an outlook that almost came close to looking kind of like class analysis if you squint at it hard enough.

Malcolm X: "The so-called black British middle class have been used as pawns in Cameron’s war against the poor. You might wonder why I keep using the word “so-called” to describe the black middle class. There are two reasons. First, even though many of you feel comfortable being called “Middle-class”, the reality is that most of you are just one, two or three pay cheques away from poverty. If you lose your job today, would you still be able to pay your mortgage or send your children to those private schools that you brag about? Second, when God created mankind, he made us all equal, but the human race decided to create a classification system which put the rich and influential at the top and left the poor at the bottom of the so-called social ladder. This classification has contributed to the denial of humanity to the poor. Even though you have more in common with the poor than the rich, you think you are superior to your poor brothers and sisters."
Goons: "Is this class analysis?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

He did end up loving Jadzia in the process of exactly that tho

Also Quark was the one who ended up in the hospital bed afterwards

There's a lot going on there to say the least

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
None of this matters if yall not paying reparations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tanz1IxVpVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rijDjKiooZc

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Ok, I stand corrected

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

if you are a lesbian, please give gay black men your money