Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

fishing with the fam posted:

Seeing all the love its getting, I feel like I'm the one who is wrong here. Like the film is doing something I'm just not seeing or understanding. I'm sure it doesn't help that I never read the tale or know anything about Arthurian legend.

When I talked about it with my buds I said its definitely a "vibes" movie. If you don't vibe with it you're not gonna like it, and as everyone said there is nothing wrong with bouncing off of it. I definitely came at it from having known the OG story and other interpretations of it, and all the production quality helped carry me to the scenes that really landed for me.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

why did they abandon the title cards?

Meant to ask but what did you mean by this? They were there through the very end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I saw it last night and really enjoyed it! Not much to add that hasn't been said yet but it definitely lends itself to a theater experience with the visuals and that awesome sound design. I definitely didn't hear any muddy clarity issues in the sound, although there were some whispered lines that were hard to hear.

I totally understand if you cant/dont want to go to a theater right now, my area has a high vax rate so I felt safe (although some rear end in a top hat was coughing the whole way through, like read the room stay home if you have a cough)

Jerkface posted:

When I talked about it with my buds I said its definitely a "vibes" movie. If you don't vibe with it you're not gonna like it, and as everyone said there is nothing wrong with bouncing off of it. I definitely came at it from having known the OG story and other interpretations of it, and all the production quality helped carry me to the scenes that really landed for me.

Meant to ask but what did you mean by this? They were there through the very end.

This stuck out to me as well, they were there all the way.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What did y'all think about the end vision where apparently Winifred is not dead and becomes his queen? I didn't really get the point of that. Or am I crazy/blind and that was actually a completely different actress...

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What did y'all think about the end vision where apparently Winifred is not dead and becomes his queen? I didn't really get the point of that. Or am I crazy/blind and that was actually a completely different actress...

I had to check IMDB to confirm because I had the same thought, but they are different actresses.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Just saw this myself, and found it to be sort of a captivating experience. As other posters have said it's a vibes experience, at least, that I found it more resonant as the movie went on. It played further of my state of mind at time, and I ended up focusing more on the development of Gawain and how he reacted to it more than anything. I half wanted to get up and yell "c'mon man!" at the screen a few times throughout the film.

Visually extremely atmospheric, complimented by the sound work except for the CGI fox which maybe looked like that because it was supposed to be magic? I'm not sure, it seemed too bright.

I was also sort of thinking about the state of the kingdom at this point. It seemed like after leaving the castle, everything was desolate and miserable. Maybe that's intentional and part of the journey, and reflective of Gawain's mood throughout the thing. All the preparations left him with an odor of confidence that quickly washed away as his first attempt to role play a knight ended up a total fail. He did however pick himself up and try again, instead of just giving up and leaving himself to rot.

I did find this to be very resonant as I also struggle to journey through life. That realization moment, that the easy way out will not lead to happiness at the end, is not something that maybe always comes at once quite like as shown here, but the message was very well conveyed. I really couldn't believe he pivoted from bum to shitheel doing what he did to Essel though. Any sympathy for the character at that point was out the window, but very well redeemed by it being a vision.

I am not versed on Arthurian legend, and I don't think I needed to be at all to find this an excellent, contemplative movie.

Pro tip though for anyone wearing a mask in the theatre if you haven't done it - trying to drink your beverage through a straw slipping it behind your mask in a recliner is going to take some practice in the dark. Don't try it with hot coffee.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

I had to check IMDB to confirm because I had the same thought, but they are different actresses.

Dang. Like, the movie makes more sense that way but now I feel bad that I confused the two

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I thought it was the same actress too. I mean they do have Alicia Vikander as both Essel and The Lady so it wouldn’t be totally out of place.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean it's also just a vision, and as pointed out there's also dual casting as well as a general theme of characters being linked in Gawain's mind. He may have imagined her as similar as his requested "reward" for rescuing Winifred's head!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I thought her crazy costuming in the vision was very striking, considering everything else clothing-wise had been relatively grounded up to that point.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Jerkface posted:

When I talked about it with my buds I said its definitely a "vibes" movie.

This is pretty much it. My wife hated it, and I...I don't know if I particularly liked it, but I enjoyed what it was trying to do. It was an experience, and a pretty surreal one, that I'm glad I went through but don't want to repeat.

I wasn't familiar with this story, so I went in very dark. The thing I liken it to in the end, for better or worse, is the Zemeckis / Neil Gaiman Beowulf. Which was itself a deconstruction of masculine myth-making, arguing that Beowulf's legend was always an embellished lie of hyper-virility told to secure power and loyalty, while the reality is that all men are self-interested, vain, cowardly, and endlessly fallible. The Green Knight says something similar, that Gawain is a fame-seeking failson in way over his head, lauded by idiots who prefer myth to reality, whose actual hero's arc is to show integrity and honor in the face of fear and death. Notably, both it and Beowulf end with a Christianized act of self-sacrifice.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Caught this tonight and really enjoyed it. The film comparison I'M going to make is Valhalla Rising, just in terms of portraying the medieval world as beautiful and expansive and mysterious and full of magic and mystery.

The wavelength I was riding on in terms of the film was how it might have felt to be a medieval peasant hearing tales of The Outside World. Depending on how credulous you were, the world would seem so strange and so full of interesting and terrifying things. So, I like the kind of arthouse style of mythmaking we get here.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Found this review on Trump forum

So many quotables in this thing also spoilers which is why its a thumbnail

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I really want to like this film but I kind of feel like it's a bit of a mess. Visuals were great, acting solid, but the whole time I felt like I was being thrown a ton of references that I needed an art history degree to get? Things like the woman on the horse with a man with a sword in the beginning- what was that? When the lady of the manor flips the card and the camera focuses in on it- I'm sure it meant something but I am unfamiliar with middle ages art symbolism.

Story also seemed somewhat messy. My interpretation was that this was kind of a reverse of the Gawain tale, which I don't know too well but I know he basically passed every knight test except the one at the end of the story, but in this version he fails until the end. However, since he wasn't a knight at all this time, characters flip flopped on calling him a knight and then others would rightly call him out on not fulfilling certain dutys while he professed rightly that he wasn't one... I feel like it could have been more powerful if he had actually been knighted upon his departure, continuously failed, and then was only finally called a knight by the Green Knight once he threw off the girdle. I could have possibly been thrown off by what seemed like, to me, a constant barrage of dropped threads.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

saw this with my dad and I enjoyed the heck out of this movie but I noticed that my dad was getting restless and frustrated as the film went on. When we were going home he remarked that he was having trouble following it, thinking that things weren't really making sense or having a purpose. I said "I think this film was a great adaptation of original Arthurian stories, as in poems and tales written in the 13th, 14th, and 15th centuries. They didn't waste time talking about how important someone was or their life story, you just knew what their purpose was in the tale and went along with it. You don't question magic or supernatural things like giants because have you ever been out on your own for days at a time? You see poo poo. But that kind of storytelling isn't for everyone, especially modern audiences."

I only knew about the story of Gawain and the Green Knight as "it's all about honour, Gawain has an arrangement with the Green Knight and it may mean his death but he has to fulfill it because he is the most honourable of Arthur's knights" so at first I was unsure what the motivations for having him act the way he does but the final meeting with the GK finally spelled it out and I really dug the Last Temptation of Christ-esque vision he has, that really sealed the film for me so yeah, good movie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is really stupid, and probably my most American take, but this movie needed a fight. It needed an action sequence, it needed one moment on screen where I knew something was happening instead of where I thought something was happening. I feel like one really clean, really crisp and cinematic Sword/Axe fight would have helped.

It just feels absolutely INSANE to me that with a movie that features not just a Gigantic magic green axe that is so obviously powerful and ancient and magical, but also literally Excalibur, the possibly most famous weapon of legend throughout all of history, and this movie has less violence than the drat Punch & Judy play the kids are watching in town!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Getting mugged in the woods qualifies as a fight by the definition of something actually happening.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Bust Rodd posted:

This is really stupid, and probably my most American take, but this movie needed a fight.

As we were driving away from the theater, I turned to my partner and said "I can't believe there was a whole Arthurian knight movie without a single swordfight!"

I get where you're coming from, but on the other hand, I kind of love the audacity. And I kind of like thinking about that, like... why have a film with Excalibur and a Magic Axe but no fights? What does it mean? I like mulling it over.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Personally I didn’t think it was that kind of a movie . Who would be fighting in this ? There was an illusion to battle a few times, but IMO actually portraying it would have been screen fodder , and detracting from the story.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It was still an exciting, tense movie. Maybe not action, but certainly adventure.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Yawgmoft posted:

Things like the woman on the horse with a man with a sword in the beginning- what was that?

This one I think is simpler to explain; it's just part of the introduction. Much like the previous narration explaining that this is not about Arthur, it's showing that this is not a typical knight tale by giving a brief glimpse at one. The lady is obviously getting on the horse to flee, the man (a knight?) draws a sword in her defense. Apparently (as I missed this on first viewing), you can see a building burning in the distance. But then we pan away, because it's not the tale being told. Slowly, our actual protagonist is revealed, sleeping off his drunkenness in a brothel, unaware of whatever is happening mere feet away.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

glitchwraith posted:

This one I think is simpler to explain; it's just part of the introduction. Much like the previous narration explaining that this is not about Arthur, it's showing that this is not a typical knight tale by giving a brief glimpse at one. The lady is obviously getting on the horse to flee, the man (a knight?) draws a sword in her defense. Apparently (as I missed this on first viewing), you can see a building burning in the distance. But then we pan away, because it's not the tale being told. Slowly, our actual protagonist is revealed, sleeping off his drunkenness in a brothel, unaware of whatever is happening mere feet away.

Yeah, every time you cut to the outdoor scene the building is more on fire.

Anyway, the juxtaposition between the action outside and Gawain sleeping in a brothel also tells you that Gawain, right now, is very pointedly not the man of action we see outside. It puts us at the start of Gawain's development, as he goes from selfish and indulgent (drunk in a brothel) to honourable and courageous (fulfilling his duty to get his head chopped off).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It also helps set him up as a gently caress up because, as it began, I thought "oh so he's some hot shot that parties hard but still keeps his cool" but then he wipes out in the hall and falls on his stupid, still drunk rear end.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I also think it underlines why there's no Action in the movie-- there's no evidence that he'd be capable in a fight in any way other than just the fact that he's confident enough in his own ability to challenge the Green Knight in what he thinks will be a fight.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He looked pretty drat nervous squaring off against him and he did the little "twirl the sword like a baton" thing that, in some circles, is infamous as "poo poo that happens in movies that isn't actually a thing and suggests the swordplay in the fight is about to suck".

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

glitchwraith posted:

This makes sense. Thanks!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bust Rodd posted:

This is really stupid, and probably my most American take, but this movie needed a fight. It needed an action sequence, it needed one moment on screen where I knew something was happening instead of where I thought something was happening. I feel like one really clean, really crisp and cinematic Sword/Axe fight would have helped.

It just feels absolutely INSANE to me that with a movie that features not just a Gigantic magic green axe that is so obviously powerful and ancient and magical, but also literally Excalibur, the possibly most famous weapon of legend throughout all of history, and this movie has less violence than the drat Punch & Judy play the kids are watching in town!

That seems central to the point of the story to me: all the trappings of heroic tales are kind of bullshit. Gawain is a bad knight, not heroic, not particularly brave or skilled or honorable. He goes on this adventure, but it's not defending villages from bandits or challenging invaders to swordfights, it's mostly wandering around and getting lost and being dirty and hungry. The central quest at the heart of the story was never about heroism or defeating evil or achieving greatness, it was a purely symbolic exercise designed to test his character.

I thought the way they portray Arthur really serves this aspect, too. King Arthur is supposed to be this vital, heroic figure. But here, he's so frail and soft-spoken, the weakest person in the room if not for his crown. It really helps to undermine the more glamorous assumptions about Arthurian legend. Welcome to Camelot: it's small and dark and dirty, overcast and cold and muddy, the King is a passive, sickly scarecrow and the hero is a spoiled, talentless frat boy.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Xealot posted:

That seems central to the point of the story to me: all the trappings of heroic tales are kind of bullshit. Gawain is a bad knight, not heroic, not particularly brave or skilled or honorable. He goes on this adventure, but it's not defending villages from bandits or challenging invaders to swordfights, it's mostly wandering around and getting lost and being dirty and hungry. The central quest at the heart of the story was never about heroism or defeating evil or achieving greatness, it was a purely symbolic exercise designed to test his character.

I dunno that he's a bad knight. It's more than he's not a knight yet. He doesn't innately have the knightly traits of courage and honour and honestly, so it's a learning process for him. The trials he faces, then, aren't tests but lessons. When he asks Winifred's ghost what he gets in return that isn't him failing to show integrity, it's him learning that he retrieves her head not for reward but because it's the right thing to do. His time with the lord and the lady is him giving in to temptation and discovering that temptation doesn't feel right.

I like the arc. In a way it fits with the supportive and sympathetic portrayals of Arthur and Guinevere. It's about learning how to be good.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Partycat posted:

Personally I didn’t think it was that kind of a movie . Who would be fighting in this ? There was an illusion to battle a few times, but IMO actually portraying it would have been screen fodder , and detracting from the story.

It could have worked as long as Gaiwan wasn’t involved in any way. Just have him watch the heroics of someone else from a distance with longing before the Green Knight shows up.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Gawain should have made friends with a wisecracking dragon, it would have really helped pick up the mood. The fox was a nice touch, but it didn't tell a single joke.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Mini marathon of Excalibur - First Knight - King Arthur - Guy Ritchie King Arthur - Green Knight.... - Fate Stay/Night Unlimited Blade Works :newlol:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After catching it the other day I'd have to recommend The Seventh Seal as a terrific companion film if anyone is looking to vibe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gatts posted:

Mini marathon of Excalibur - First Knight - King Arthur - Guy Ritchie King Arthur - Green Knight.... - Fate Stay/Night Unlimited Blade Works :newlol:

You're gonna leave out Sword of the Valiant: The Legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, a Cannon Films production that stars Miles O'Keeffe as Gawain and Sean Connery as the Green Knight?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Gatts posted:

Be sure to run through Sonic and the Black Knight as well.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

After catching it the other day I'd have to recommend The Seventh Seal as a terrific companion film if anyone is looking to vibe.

I haven't seen this yet and is a great idea

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

ghostwritingduck posted:

It could have worked as long as Gaiwan wasn’t involved in any way. Just have him watch the heroics of someone else from a distance with longing before the Green Knight shows up.

the movie is already over 2 hours long. no thanks

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I could've watched another 8 hours.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I could've watched another 8 hours.

I might've been able to watch another 8 hours just of the scene where Gawain and the scavenger are walking through the smouldering battlefield.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Okay that scene with the big bones on the cliff, did anyone else see something moving around in those? Swear I saw something

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

Okay that scene with the big bones on the cliff, did anyone else see something moving around in those? Swear I saw something

It was a bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Found this review on Trump forum

So many quotables in this thing also spoilers which is why its a thumbnail

Lol why is that so much of those alt right rants have to make analogies with modern dating? Anyways, in an actual Marxist telling on the Green Knight, Gawain's revelation would have moved him to break through of the ideological chains of honor, recruit the Green Knight and lead a revolt against the feudal order, which would have been the real "alpha" thing to do.