Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i didn't have a great experience with the movie. it was beautiful and very loud at parts but overall didn't make any sense. an occult medieval movie should be right up my alley but I didn't understand what exactly was going on and was expecting some type of narrative payoff that never came. was the mom orchestrating all of this the entire time? how'd he get all his poo poo back? was there any wider point to the ghost bit? who was the old blindfolded lady? why did the horny lady give him the same sash and the same speech as his mom? why did they abandon the title cards?

i did miss a lot of dialogue. between the sniffing scratching sneezing and coughing this might have been my last time ever in a public theater.

I was one of about eight people in my showing (college town in the summer) and could barely hear the dialogue anyway because it was so... mumbly. An excellent argument in favor of CC or subtitles being the default for movie theaters.

If you're talking about the end, he didn't get his poo poo back for real, that was just him imagining leaving and living the rest of his life knowing he walked away. Getting the axe back from the ghost was Just Magic. the witch probably does the same stuff as his mom and could make the same type of sash, either that or it's Just Magic. Frankly I was wondering if there was supposed to be anything behind the rich witch and the girlfriend being played by the same actress. Blindfolded lady I think was intended as a callback to the blindfolded mom/witches at the beginning. She was standing there after he got the sash, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

she, being Arthur's sister, is Morgan lefay who is very naughty in most depictions.

That really should have been mentioned (the character isn't even named in the credits); the last Arthurian anything I watched was the Mists of Avalon tv adaptation from like 20 years ago and I was struggling to remember if she was supposed to be someone. On that note, was the beardy guy with the face tattoos supposed to be Merlin?!

edit: Overall I liked it, but I think my principal issue with it was it assumed you already knew a lot about the King Arthur mythos. I found myself wishing on multiple occasions that I'd read it beforehand because there always seemed to be something I was missing.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What did y'all think about the end vision where apparently Winifred is not dead and becomes his queen? I didn't really get the point of that. Or am I crazy/blind and that was actually a completely different actress...

I had to check IMDB to confirm because I had the same thought, but they are different actresses.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I definitely thought the lady he marries at the end was played by the same actress as Winifred.