Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Just saw this myself, and found it to be sort of a captivating experience. As other posters have said it's a vibes experience, at least, that I found it more resonant as the movie went on. It played further of my state of mind at time, and I ended up focusing more on the development of Gawain and how he reacted to it more than anything. I half wanted to get up and yell "c'mon man!" at the screen a few times throughout the film.

Visually extremely atmospheric, complimented by the sound work except for the CGI fox which maybe looked like that because it was supposed to be magic? I'm not sure, it seemed too bright.

I was also sort of thinking about the state of the kingdom at this point. It seemed like after leaving the castle, everything was desolate and miserable. Maybe that's intentional and part of the journey, and reflective of Gawain's mood throughout the thing. All the preparations left him with an odor of confidence that quickly washed away as his first attempt to role play a knight ended up a total fail. He did however pick himself up and try again, instead of just giving up and leaving himself to rot.

I did find this to be very resonant as I also struggle to journey through life. That realization moment, that the easy way out will not lead to happiness at the end, is not something that maybe always comes at once quite like as shown here, but the message was very well conveyed. I really couldn't believe he pivoted from bum to shitheel doing what he did to Essel though. Any sympathy for the character at that point was out the window, but very well redeemed by it being a vision.

I am not versed on Arthurian legend, and I don't think I needed to be at all to find this an excellent, contemplative movie.

Pro tip though for anyone wearing a mask in the theatre if you haven't done it - trying to drink your beverage through a straw slipping it behind your mask in a recliner is going to take some practice in the dark. Don't try it with hot coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Personally I didn’t think it was that kind of a movie . Who would be fighting in this ? There was an illusion to battle a few times, but IMO actually portraying it would have been screen fodder , and detracting from the story.