Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Are any of you Cubs fans glad they didn’t try to con you with “we’re just a few off-season pieces away” and got prospects instead of comp picks everywhere they could?

Seems like this day has been coming since Tom’s “we aren’t spending money because we don’t have anymore” interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

beejay posted:

the Marquee network

I realize what they were trying to evoke, but that logo seriously belongs on a bottle of booze.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/mlbastian/status/1421917763082326020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Rosenthal did a story on the Rays trade offers. Since The Athletic is paywalled and I don't pay for it, you'll have to put up with tweets from randos summarizing it:

https://twitter.com/RaysMetrics/status/1422239625955921926

https://twitter.com/TheCubsReporter/status/1422242890634440709

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What you say reminds me a lot of how I felt about the Giants around 2018, when we seemed to be picking up expensive players just to look serious and misusing them everywhere. It turned out Bobby Evans just was not cut out to be GM. And of course, there’s the Mission Rock development happening outside of the stadium by McCovey Point, which will give ownership an equivalent to the Ricketts assets around Wrigleyville.

I suspect by the time the guys Chicago have picked up are ready, somebody will be selling. Probably the Dodgers, since I don’t see how they keep their Postseason Every Season motto going when they’ve spent so much in prospects and salary to build their current fantasy team.

It was likely smart for Hoyer to not take an injured pitcher Tampa is trading. I still think Kilian ends up a big-league reliever but we’ll see.

(Edited because I confused guys named Jed)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 2, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Niwrad posted:

The issue is they lost good players and never spent money to replace them. Instead, they had to gut their farm system to find replacements for Arrieta, Zobrist, Fowler and Chapman.

Secondary pieces like Zobrist and Fowler were basically lost and and never to return. You’ll get their thrift store equivalents, and have to hope the core three can pick up the dead weight.

If you’re known as a Moneyball GM, you need to know at some point when you have to go full Dombrowski and convince billionaires to open their wallets to strengthen the team. And apparently, Bill Murray calling them the real-life guy from Scrooged doesn’t do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Really what is the club's biggest missed opportunity with that payroll, though? We all know with hindsight that Bauer was a bad move. You can't really say Harper because Philadelphia has taken on the most outrageous obligation this side of Bobby Bonilla.
About the only thing I've got is not getting involved in the Mookie Betts sweepstakes. Taking on the salary dump LA did would have pushed Chicago over the luxury tax, but as noted this is the point where you're supposed to do that, and it would have meant him not going to the Dodgers when "but take a look at what LA is doing goddamn" is the most compelling argument for giving up and going back into the cellar.